New Basketball Arena

Something like OSU’s arena would be cool. You’d have to dig out the existing seats and rework the entire bowl but it could be done. Students would sit in the lower bowl to create a better atmosphere.

93598680.S2ETxjXs.jpg
I could maybe see some kind of major remodel to Carver if it costs significantly less than building a brand new one 'and' the new smaller arena in Coralville is up & running so other sports have somewhere to use.

The problem is they intended Carver to be a multipurpose facility with wrestling and gymnastics, tksirius makes a good point in that it looks like a hockey rink. Keep it and use it for those purposes, it's probably bigger than it needs to be but why not? I think Iowa could use a D1 Hockey team, they already offer it as a club sport. But get us a real basketball facility.

Yes, just saying... if they want people to come to mid-week games in January there are things they could do to help a little. Would be easy to have a couple small shuttles just going back and forth.

No, I agree there are many things I am sure they could do but Barta doesn't care. That entire department seems tone deaf, arrogant and takes the fan base for granted. It is more than the product on the court. The entire experience seems stale and extremely redundant.

Last edited:
Right, if Iowa wins, the crowds show up, the atmosphere is better - the recruits want to play in front of big crowds. I am not saying Carver is some mecca that doesn't need replaced. I'd be fine with it....all I am saying is we wouldn't think it was so bad if Iowa was winning and it was full every game.

The crowds show up. But it's still a lame atmosphere. Were you at any games 2 years ago when we were fighting for a conference championship? It was an ok atmosphere. Trying to win our first championship in 30 years and have Wisconsin on the ropes at the end, and it was an ok atmosphere. That's pathetic and there is nothing we can do about it until a generation of fans die out.

I was at Hilton when LaFester Rhodes went totally nuts against us and lit us up for 50-some points back in '87 .
I was just 18, but remember it clearly. It was one of the most intense college games I've ever seen.
AND HO-LEE$HIT IT WAS LOUD IN THERE!!!
Hilton is a traditional stadium, but... it has those exposed wooden beams in the ceiling.
Looks like a web of 2 x 12's in an octagon shape, but those exposed boards reverberate the sound, which makes it loud as hell, which gives them an edge.
Their home court record speaks for itself. Not so much "magic" but more likely very high decibels.
Something to consider.

The crowds show up. But it's still a lame atmosphere. Were you at any games 2 years ago when we were fighting for a conference championship? It was an ok atmosphere. Trying to win our first championship in 30 years and have Wisconsin on the ropes at the end, and it was an ok atmosphere. That's pathetic and there is nothing we can do about it until a generation of fans die out.
Lol Then the next generation takes their place. You people watch to much TV. Get out to a game a shoot.......I mean shout your mouth off all you want. Why is it always students students students. Most of those gyms that are constantly standing their jumping up and down like yo yo's and saying ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the whole game only seat like 5000 people. Sure it's going to be a lot louder. Didn't you people get the clue from the Hawk game that was played in a tiny gym. You people just want something to crab about all the time. NOBODY is going to go apeshit over a losing team! Fire KF fire Fran tear down Carver it sucks! The seats are to tiny the food is crap! Good grief!

Lol Then the next generation takes their place. You people watch to much TV. Get out to a game a shoot.......I mean shout your mouth off all you want. Why is it always students students students. Most of those gyms that are constantly standing their jumping up and down like yo yo's and saying ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the whole game only seat like 5000 people. Sure it's going to be a lot louder. Didn't you people get the clue from the Hawk game that was played in a tiny gym. You people just want something to crab about all the time. NOBODY is going to go apeshit over a losing team! Fire KF fire Fran tear down Carver it sucks! The seats are to tiny the food is crap! Good grief!

I agree with majority of your sarcasm.

The school could show more replays & more stats on the big boards. This should be pretty simple & easy way to improve my viewing pleasure. During WI game, the boards were trying to get the fans to be loud during a time out. First time i've seen 'loud' on the score boards & the game was stopped.

Either way, I love Carver & Chris Street court. Go Hawks!

I live about 900 miles from Iowa City. That being said, the pic is real no matter when it was taken. I don't care if it was 2 hours before the match/game, who brings a novel with them to Carver?o_O

Wi-Fi too slow to stream his Mad Men obsession on Netflix, maybe?

I agree. Something should be done and if it eliminates a couple thousand seats, so what?

Arena holds what 15,500? It would be interesting to know what we have averaged the past 15 seasons. I would be surprised if it is even 12,000. More students. More noise. Better environment for everyone.

More likely though, Barta removes upper seats to build 'luxury boxes'. Same old crap for common folk. You know warmed over and overpriced concession crap while big donors get that warmed over HyVee catered crap. Oh wait!

You know it is not really the common fan athletic departments care about or rely on anymore. Fat Cats and television $$$. See additional future Kinnick luxury boxes and B1G $$$ while the rest of us sit sideways in our bleacher seats so Fat Marv can use his 18" seat width and 16" of ours too. Thank G he makes multiple visits to the concession stand to get that warmed over crap. o_O

Reminds me of a scene in This Is Spinal Tap.

Marty (Filmmaker): "In the past, Tap was playing to audiences of 12000...15000. Now, they're playing arenas with 1200 people...1500 people. Is the audience shrinking?"

Ian (Band Manager): "Oh, no...no...definitely not. The audience is becoming more selective"

Complaining about Carver is nothing new here and it isn't a product of a losing season. I've been to plenty games and the game I attended with the best crowd was for an NIT game.

The only premium seating opportunity is is some poorly designed, sparse floor space. If I were donating big money, that’s where I’d sit and expect to sit because the university hasn’t given me a better option. The floor space can absolutely be redone and still kept flexible for multipurpose events. There’s no reason an upper level of private boxes with its own reserved seating couldn’t be be accomplished as well as adding some nicer club seating around the bottom rows of permanent seats. Those seats could even offer food and beverage delivery as an added perk, since there concessions would still be all the way at the top. Leave the floor seating if necessary on the far sideline as yet another premium offering, but fill in that space.

Last edited:
The seats for the majority of the fans suck. And I mean really suck. No drink holders, shoe-horned in, hard plastic torture devices. They need to be replaced with something less 80s-Chevy-Cavalier-like.

The only premium seating opportunity is is some poorly designed, sparse floor space. If I were donating big money, that’s where I’d sit and expect to sit because the university hasn’t given me a better option. The floor space can absolutely be redone and still kept flexible for multipurpose events. There’s no reason an upper level of private boxes with its own reserved seating couldn’t be be accomplished as well as adding some nicer club seating around the bottom rows of permanent seats. Those seats could even offer food and beverage delivery as an added perk, since there concessions would still be all the way at the top. Leave the floor seating if necessary on the far sideline as yet another premium offering, but fill in that space.

The flawed original design was made worse when Lute Olson demanded that they take out the concourse halfway up the steps. He wanted it like the Pit at New Mexico. He got what he wanted and then left in a snit over press coverage
and living in a fishbowl.

It should never have been remodeled. Build a smaller new arena. How about downtown in the new area south of the ped mall?

Latest posts