NCAA Tournament for Iowa in 2013?

Hahahaha activebadger is a joke.

In the last 10 years, who has been more irrelevant in basketball in the Big Ten other than Penn State? NW has strung together some so-so years by their standards. They are on the brink of a tourney invite or at least in the conversation. Illinois has had fantastic seasons in that span, same with Purdue. Basically Iowa and Penn State have been afterthoughts.

iowa lost matt gatens and bryce cartwright, while wisky lost jordan taylor. i just looked at 1 stat (scoring) to compare the losses.

iowa averaged 73 pts and mg & bc combined for an average of 21 pts. that is 29% of the scoring.

wisky averaged 64 pts and jt averaged 15 pts. that was 23% of the scoring.

my take on that is that wisky lost a much more integral part of their team than iowa did just in scoring. i am sure if we look at assists that jt dominated that also. although the iowa percentage is higher it comes from losing 2 players. so their combined total is only 6% more of their team than jt all by himself. that sounds like a team very reliant on 1 player. not to mention the amount of time he dominates the ball and the assists. if you factor those 2 things in i would say the percentages would become even more lobsided...maybe i will go check the assists while i am at it. the ball dominating comment i hope we all can realize he did while bc and mg didnt because of marble and others that could handle it.

The stats you just posted back up my point yet somehow you rationalize it to say Wisconsin lost more. No. We lost 23% and you lost 29%. Those are facts.

Plus Bo has a solid history of replacing great players. We lost Devin Harris what happened? We went to the Elite 8 the next year. We lost Alando Tucker and what happened? We won 30 games the next year. We lost Kirk Penney what happened? We won the Big Ten tourney the following year. Bo isn't reliant on one player. Never has been and never will be.

1 person = 23% of offense

2 people = 29% of offense (that is 14.5% each on average)

this shows 1 team has a less balanced approach. this makes it harder to absorb the loss.

jt was 39% of the assists for wisky

mg & bc were 47% of the assists for iowa. (that means 23.5% for each player on average).

consider for once the amount of control that went through taylor. he did everything while iowa was much more balanced and asked multiple players to score and handle the ball. marble is set up to step in for gatens. wisky has no proven pg (oh wait a redshirt)...remember redshirt means they didnt play last yr that equals unproven. who will pick up 23% of the scoring? are you going to switch from a 1 man show to a balanced attack...doesnt work that way.

you have to find 1 player to take over 23% of scoring and 39% of assists.

we need 2 players that can combined take over 14.5% of the scoring each and 23.5% of the assists each.

the second one is asking less of each player making it easier to replace. then factor in the time...your guy did his stuff in 38 min while our 2 guys did it in like 58 min...meaning again they did less...easier to replace.

1 person = 23% of offense

2 people = 29% of offense (that is 14.5% each on average)

this shows 1 team has a less balanced approach. this makes it harder to absorb the loss.

jt was 39% of the assists for wisky

mg & bc were 47% of the assists for iowa. (that means 23.5% for each player on average).

consider for once the amount of control that went through taylor. he did everything while iowa was much more balanced and asked multiple players to score and handle the ball. marble is set up to step in for gatens. wisky has no proven pg (oh wait a redshirt)...remember redshirt means they didnt play last yr that equals unproven. who will pick up 23% of the scoring? are you going to switch from a 1 man show to a balanced attack...doesnt work that way.

you have to find 1 player to take over 23% of scoring and 39% of assists.

we need 2 players that can combined take over 14.5% of the scoring each and 23.5% of the assists each.

the second one is asking less of each player making it easier to replace. then factor in the time...your guy did his stuff in 38 min while our 2 guys did it in like 58 min...meaning again they did less...easier to replace.

The logic in your post is simply baffling. You need to replace more minutes, more points, more assists, more rebounds than we do yet you still come to the conclusion that Wisconsin has to replace more than Iowa because it comes from 1 player instead of 2. You operate in your own world of logic that is for sure.

Wisconsin has never been a "star" system. It's always about team basketball. That's why you see a remarkable string of consistency and why we've never dipped below 4th place in the league. We aren't reliant on 1 player. We've had great players in Bo's tenure but we've ALWAYS replaced them and Jordan Taylor is not the best player Bo Ryan has ever had. He can certainly be replaced.

You lost more starters, more minutes, more points, more assists, more rebounds off of a team that finished below us in the conference. Those are facts. The rest is make believe by a 17-year old posting in his parents basement.

I think the trolling indicates that WE ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm really the only one so it certainly isn't a systemic thing. And I'm only here because I've been on vacation for 3 weeks in Iowa of all places while my wife is finishing up her residency.

By that rationale Iowa has no point guard either and even more unproven at that. Josh Gasser did run the point in combo with Taylor last year and when Taylor was on the bench and our redshirt (George Marshall) received a year of coaching from one of the best in the business and went up against Jordan Taylor everyday in practice.

Jordan taylor was your offense, buddy. Have him hold the ball till there was less than 10 seconds on the shot clock and chuck up a 3.

jordan taylor - 15 pts in 38 min is .4 pts per min

bryce cartwright & matt gatens - 21 pts in 58 min is .36 pts per min

2 people scored at a lower pts per min rate than your 1. that would mean he was a more integral part of your scoring offense. meaning making up for his loss will be harder in a statistical sense.

gatens was a 15 pt, 2 asst player that used screens and ran to find his shot...not a ball dominant guard. marble needs to up his pts by about 3-4 pts a game (1 or 2 more makes) to raise his average to take mg's spot. that means that we have about 11 pts left to make up for and add in 6 pts and about 5 assists to make up for from bc. that leaves 17 pts and 7 asst. we have 2 pgs coming in (not proven but 2 taking the job of 1 means less pressure) i am sure between the 2 of them they can make up 17 pts and 7 assts (probably more).

taylor was a ball dominant pg who was expected to create the offense for wisky. they rarely used anything other than isolation. i actually used to think bo was a great offensive mind with his offense but the last 2 yrs he has gone away from a great offense to just let jt isolate. it worked (good for him), but it will mean that they either need a player that can do the same thing jt did or they have to relearn how to run his offense. trey burke is a better pg than jt was and he isnt asked to do what taylor was. if wisky can pull another top 4 finish in the b1g it will be bo's best coaching of his career. because eventhough he returns 4 starters they are 4 starters who werent asked to do much more than play defense.

iowa brings back players with experience to play mg & bc's spot...not just the new recruits. marble can play pg (i hope he doesnt have to). ogelsby and may and marble can play sg. wisky has a rs frosh to try to make up for 15 pts, 4 assts & 38 min (please that is just ignorant).

and your guy who played pg last yr when jt was on the bench (really) he got 2 min a game at pg...that is walk-on type minutes.

at this time of the yr there are 2 things to do in terms of college sports...speculate and argue...so i will try both and have fun with it.

Yeah, but he's wiping the floor with you. This is hard to watch.

at this time of the yr there are 2 things to do in terms of college sports...speculate and argue...so i will try both and have fun with it.
Yeah, but he's wiping the floor with you. This is hard to watch.

actually anyone who understands the concepts of moneyball...using metrics to statiscally analyze sports...understands that replacing 2 guys that make up 29% of your offense is actually easier than replacing 23% of offense when contributed by 1 player. this doesnt just apply to baseball like the book and movie show. this has been applied to all sports. wisky used to use more of a continuity offense that got more balance from the team...this makes it easier to replace players. lately (especially the last 2 yrs) they have focused more on isolation basketball with taylor making him the focal point. because of this switch they have actually caused it to be harder to replace a guy like taylor.

in statisical analysis they need 1 guy to replace 15 pts and 4.5 assists. we need 2 guys to replace 21 pts and 7 assists. this comes out to needing each guy to produce 10.5 pts and 3.5 assists. the law of averages says there is a higher abundance of guys that can average 10.5 and 3.5 than there are 15 and 4.5 type guys. this means the numbers actually are on our side. do we know at this point who will win out? no...that is the fun in it.

but oates i will take your ideas with a grain of salt because you probably think neither one of us should be making any predictions on this because all we do is have couch potato video watching knowledge...because that is what you thought about predictions on whether barkley hill would be any good.

I believe we"ll have more options to use when preparing for each game.What I'm excited about is that we 'll score more each game, like Iowa/ Oregon game.Simply face paced for 40 minutes.

jordan taylor - 15 pts in 38 min is .4 pts per min

bryce cartwright & matt gatens - 21 pts in 58 min is .36 pts per min

2 people scored at a lower pts per min rate than your 1. that would mean he was a more integral part of your scoring offense. meaning making up for his loss will be harder in a statistical sense.

gatens was a 15 pt, 2 asst player that used screens and ran to find his shot...not a ball dominant guard. marble needs to up his pts by about 3-4 pts a game (1 or 2 more makes) to raise his average to take mg's spot. that means that we have about 11 pts left to make up for and add in 6 pts and about 5 assists to make up for from bc. that leaves 17 pts and 7 asst. we have 2 pgs coming in (not proven but 2 taking the job of 1 means less pressure) i am sure between the 2 of them they can make up 17 pts and 7 assts (probably more).

taylor was a ball dominant pg who was expected to create the offense for wisky. they rarely used anything other than isolation. i actually used to think bo was a great offensive mind with his offense but the last 2 yrs he has gone away from a great offense to just let jt isolate. it worked (good for him), but it will mean that they either need a player that can do the same thing jt did or they have to relearn how to run his offense. trey burke is a better pg than jt was and he isnt asked to do what taylor was. if wisky can pull another top 4 finish in the b1g it will be bo's best coaching of his career. because eventhough he returns 4 starters they are 4 starters who werent asked to do much more than play defense.

iowa brings back players with experience to play mg & bc's spot...not just the new recruits. marble can play pg (i hope he doesnt have to). ogelsby and may and marble can play sg. wisky has a rs frosh to try to make up for 15 pts, 4 assts & 38 min (please that is just ignorant).

and your guy who played pg last yr when jt was on the bench (really) he got 2 min a game at pg...that is walk-on type minutes.

Again, your logic is so flawed that it is hard to even respond to you as you don't understand the concept of your own calculations.

You need to calculate your numbers concurrently (do you need help with this word?) not consecutively. You have to calculate Gaten's and Cartwrights's #'s in the context of a 40minute game not extrapolate out over 58 minutes as you did.

Anyway you look at it by any statistical measure, Iowa has to replace more minutes, points, rebounds and assists than Wisconsin does.

Now you can make a theoretical argument that Wisconsin has to replace more based upon whether Gaten's and Cartwright are more "replaceable" than Jordan Taylor but all that would be is "theoretical" not based on any numbers to support your argument.

Again, your logic is so flawed that it is hard to even respond to you as you don't understand the concept of your own calculations.

You need to calculate your numbers concurrently (do you need help with this word?) not consecutively. You have to calculate Gaten's and Cartwrights's #'s in the context of a 40minute game not extrapolate out over 58 minutes as you did.

Anyway you look at it by any statistical measure, Iowa has to replace more minutes, points, rebounds and assists than Wisconsin does.

Now you can make a theoretical argument that Wisconsin has to replace more based upon whether Gaten's and Cartwright are more "replaceable" than Jordan Taylor but all that would be is "theoretical" not based on any numbers to support your argument.

This is the dumbest, longest, most painful to read argument I've ever seen. Would you two either cut it out or get a room?

In the words of the Cleveland Indian Superfans from Major League, "Who gives a sh**, it's gone!!"

Latest posts