Nate Meier new commit

Hawk Rationalization Syndrome (HRS) - if we land them they're good or "super sleepers", if we don't get them they're overrated or we we're after someone better.

We've been in fall back mode for quite some time now as we reach deeper into the cookie jar.

Fall back mode? Do you even follow recruiting?

This is the best class we've seen in a long time.

The problem is, we likely have too many spots to fill.. there has to be some back up options this late in the game.

Here's hoping Kozan, Thomas, and a DT round out the class.. maybe that JUCO RB... how could anyone argue with the class if that's what goes down?

I'd like to have seen the stats Dwight, Banks, and Wegher would have put up in 8 man football. Hope Nate is as good as advertised.
Does anyone know if if the linebacker at Regina (Jacob Volstedt??) will be walking on at Iowa? He is about the same size and has just as much power/strength as Nate.
I think what makes him so impressive is his speed for the size of kid he is. Broke the first play from scrimmage in championship game for 60 yards, untouched.

Meier is the 8 Man State Player of the Year for those that are try to figure out if he is a sleeper or fallback, supposed to decide before he leaves after his visit, supposedly now has a offer from Nebbie, they want him as a lb'r Iowa wants him as a rb

recruiting is completely about fallbacks. you identify who you want and talk to them. then you identify who you still want and who you can possibly get and look for fallbacks for the losses. then you do it again and again until you have your guys. sleepers are just fallbacks that others didnt identify as quickly as you did or werent sure of.

i dont care if the kid is #1 guy or a fallback or a sleeper as long as he wants to be a hawk and works hard for the hawks. i dont care if they played 8-man, 9-man, or at a small 11-man school. the coaches can evaluate and from what i have heard this kid and the kid from regina would be good at any school of any size. so here is to hopefully snagging both.

on the "if iowa offers then we will offer" comment. this happens and we do it to other schools too. i seem to remember a ol from last yr or 2 yrs ago that had no offers and after iowa offered them everyone and their brother came calling. but dont think we wont do the same thing to nebby or other schools.

The thing that jumped out at me is how good his feet are for his size. That could bode well whether he plays RB, FB or LB, or if he bulks up and joins the line. He makes me think of the perfect dive back in an option offense.

If Meier stays at RB he'd also allow our smaller RBs to not carry the full load. It seems to me that ever since Shonn Greene, Iowa has been more enamored with big backs, probably since every small back besides maybe Fred Russell has gotten the crap beaten out of them while playing as an every down back at Iowa. I winced a few times when I saw Canzeri get hit in the hole by Oklahoma; they were clearly trying to punish him, as good defenses do.

But Iowa also needs help along the line and at linebacker, and a successor to Rogers at FB, so I could see him going there, too.

If you don't get a class full of five star recruits at every position then by definition everyone you get is a fallback like Foval said. Personally, I like this recruit and with a few more good recruits I think it will be a great class.

Last edited:
This kid has a "dallas clark" or "greenway" kind of of resume..........I predict he will be a great addition to this class

The thing that jumped out at me is how good his feet are for his size. That could bode well whether he plays RB, FB or LB, or if he bulks up and joins the line. He makes me think of the perfect dive back in an option offense. If Meier stays at RB he'd also allow our smaller RBs to not carry the full load. It seems to me that ever since Shonn Greene, Iowa has been more enamored with big backs, probably since every small back besides maybe Fred Russell has gotten the crap beaten out of them while playing as an every down back at Iowa. I winced a few times when I saw Canzeri get hit in the hole by Oklahoma; they were clearly trying to punish him, as good defenses do.But Iowa also needs help along the line and at linebacker, and a successor to Rogers at FB, so I could see him going there, too. If you don't get a class full of five star recruits at every position then by definition everyone you get is a fallback like Foval said. Personally, I like this recruit and with a few more good recruits I think it will be a great class.

No chance he ends up at RB.

I suspect that someone who is very good at 110 hurdles does have pretty good feet.
Pick em up and put em down.

Once a recruit chooses Iowa, they are part of our family and all talk of ''fallbacks'' should cease. Good to have Nate on board the Hawkeye Express!!

Meier is the 8 Man State Player of the Year for those that are try to figure out if he is a sleeper or fallback, supposed to decide before he leaves after his visit, supposedly now has a offer from Nebbie, they want him as a lb'r Iowa wants him as a rb

An offer from Nebraska, huh?

LB or DE IMO.
If he does, then take everything I said about good feet and apply it to sorting his way through traffic at the line. I still think he could be a good big RB for Iowa, though.

did you miss the part about him bring fast but not quick? also the phrase "for his size" has been used a few times, that's always a dead giveaway.

Im fast for a man my size, but I'm not fast

He has interest from Nebraska, not an offer. Nate is super talented and will be a very good addition to the Hawks. There is a reason that he got an offer and not a preferred walk on offer...the question is where will he end up. Right now if I were to guess, it will be Fullback or he could end up as a linebacker over time. I know someone that has played against Mr. Meier and he has nothing but respect for his abilities (Daughter's boyfriend).

"First time post as I feel I can to add to the conversation. I officiate in SW IA and had Meier for one game last fall. He is a tremendous athlete and was truly a man amongst boys. I don't see him as being a DE as I think 245ish would be an ideal playing weight for his frame. What most people don't realize is his stats are not indicative to his true ability. I am fairly certain (due to conversations with his coaches) that he only played until halftime of most of his games as the contest was well decided by that point. He could have run for 250 plus in every game that he played. I think he will have a steep learning curve to the competition, but with a redshirt that can be overcome. At worst, he will be a great SP player with potential to be a great fullback with good hands out of the backfield or a solid LB. In the game I worked he played DL most of the snaps as he was able to own the OL and destroy the backfield. Regardless of the class he played in, the athletic ability is there. The rest is up to his work ethic and a little help from Doyle."

From 247sports..not a member so anyone can see it..thought interesting from a ref

Hawk Rationalization Syndrome (HRS) - if we land them they're good or "super sleepers", if we don't get them they're overrated or we we're after someone better.

We've been in fall back mode for quite some time now as we reach deeper into the cookie jar.
Fans of other teams do the exact same thing.

You don't waste athletic outstanding athletic ability at the FB position.
Methinks Brad Rogers is just as athletic as this guy. It was just a knee-jerk reaction anyway.

but he moved over from the RB position and got a shot there first. he stayed at FB because he had a couple of seasons on offense and already knew it.

this guy won't see any looks on the offensive side of the ball.

did you miss the part about him bring fast but not quick? also the phrase "for his size" has been used a few times, that's always a dead giveaway.

Im fast for a man my size, but I'm not fast
Well, Duff, I don't know how much 8 man you get to watch, but the whole game is predicated on speed, that is at the championship level, and he was the fastest kid on the field, and one of the three biggest, either team.

Latest posts