Narrow path to playoff

That's not my argument, my argument is that when I hear Clemson fans telling me they are watching Iowa with some degree of interest because they can't believe how bad the offense on a division champ team there is enough national interest to back Iowa right now to make this a viable suckers bet that has a 99.999999999999999999999999999% chance of paying the house.
They really have a sort of a car crash type of interest. An oddity that has peaked some national curiosity. The numbers -23.5 points and a 35.5 over/under are like a wait...what? type of thing. Interesting to see the ratings. Not sure what other games are on against it.

Ding ding ding....

TV money and SEC bias. Alabama is going to bring the TV viewers and the national media are homers for big SEC football.
OSU is one of the biggest brands in college football. It is at least on par with Bama. Huge alumni base. Big school. Big population state. And, one of the reason ratings dropped for the title game of late is that fans are tired of seeing SEC teams facing off every year.

Also, you are just making up shit on the committee taking into account TV ratings. Come on. So, all these big wigs from various schools and conferences are debating and someone says, "OSU is more deserving but Bama is from the SEC and we like them better." The other conference reps would go ape shit and there would be blood spilled across every media outlet. ESPN has SEC bias, not the CFPC. Stop making shit up.

OSU is one of the biggest brands in college football. It is at least on par with Bama. Huge alumni base. Big school. Big population state. And, one of the reason ratings dropped for the title game of late is that fans are tired of seeing SEC teams facing off every year.

Also, you are just making up shit on the committee taking into account TV ratings. Come on. So, all these big wigs from various schools and conferences are debating and someone says, "OSU is more deserving but Bama is from the SEC and we like them better." The other conference reps would go ape shit and there would be blood spilled across every media outlet. ESPN has SEC bias, not the CFPC. Stop making shit up.

Many representatives of the committee have an undying desire to grow the pot, if you will. They won't say it, but they definitely care. Not as much as ESPN, but they care. A hypothetical game like Iowa-Kansas is not something they would want to create. They want teams like Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. I get it, those schools drive the mega revenue into the whole system. To say they are agnostic to those sorts of considerations is probably not true.

Win or lose, I'm expecting Iowa to play Ole Miss in Florida. This is the ultimate exhibition game and I am with it. No pressure and everyone having fun. Sign me up for that right now, if Iowa beats Ole Miss and goes 11-3...I would be totally entertained by that.

Last edited:
The CFP has never selected a 2-loss team. It always picks a 1-loss non-champion over a 2-loss champion. Iowa, okst and Lou have no chance because they already have 2 losses. In the scenerio listed, Ore, Tex, Bama all pick up their 2nd loss and are non-champions. That leaves

13-0 Champion Georgia
13-0 Champion Washington
12-1 non-champion FSU
12-1 non-champion Mich
11-1 non champion Ohio St

Of these, FSU is probably left out, then Mich and OSU get in.

A friend pointed out to me that Iowa is one of nine teams listed still with odds to win the national title. So I assume there is some kind of path to the playoffs not involving natural disasters, plane crashes or pandemics.

It's November 29th and we're still talking about a path to the playoffs. Have some fun with that, no matter how narrow the odds.

So what is that path?

Iowa beats Michigan
Washington beats Oregon
Georgia beats Alabama
Texas loses to OK State
Florida State loses to Louisville

In that scenario, is it Iowa, WA, GA....and who? Still a one loss Michigan? You can't take a one loss OSU over a one loss Michigan, can you? Could a two loss Iowa really jump a one loss Ohio State?

Is Florida State in regardless of a win or loss in that scenario? What if they look horrible in a loss? Would they dip below a two loss Iowa?

What would the path be?
Why, just why? You can’t possibly be this naive. Can you? Beyond the obvious of the very likely clubbing by Michigan, but to actually think a team that can’t score on anyone (dead last in fbs) & gives up points in droves to top 10 opponents, the only explanation is that you are one of these that’s a dreamer. I challenge you to revisit history because it’s your most accurate predictor

I don't think Alabama or Oregon with two losses get in over Iowa. That's the scenario I've outlined.

So I guess you are saying a one loss Michigan and a one loss Ohio State BOTH get picked over Iowa? I think that is a decent assumption, but that's what I am trying to distill here.
Buddy, you clearly don’t watch college football. You are one of these Iowa games only guys that’s never worn a helmet beyond your backyard

If that's the case, why doesn't the committee rank one loss Alabama over one loss Ohio State right now?

Say Alabama loses by 10, I find it hard to believe they'd jump 4 spots and overtake a one loss Ohio State.
You can find it hard to believe if you want but that doesn’t make it less true

Think what ya want. Under the scenario listed in the OP Bama’s getting in. Sorry you can’t accept it.

When they decided to have a 4 team playoff, the conference championships should have been a round one of the playoffs. Otherwise what's the point? Based on that logic, Iowa should still be alive as long as they are a better option than the 4th bast major conference champion. There are definitely scenarios where thats possible.

When they decided to have a 4 team playoff, the conference championships should have been a round one of the playoffs. Otherwise what's the point? Based on that logic, Iowa should still be alive as long as they are a better option than the 4th bast major conference champion. There are definitely scenarios where thats possible.
Playoffs should be 8 teams. P5 champs plus FCS champ, plus 2 at-large bids determined by an RPI formula that's publicly known ad applied equally to all D-1 teams. That way no one can bitch. Don't like the RPI formula? Then win your conference and you don't have to worry about it. Literally every FCS or FBS team has a sure fire way to get in, no human choice involved.

Problem solved.

Playoffs should be 8 teams. P5 champs plus FCS champ, plus 2 at-large bids determined by an RPI formula that's publicly known ad applied equally to all D-1 teams. That way no one can bitch. Don't like the RPI formula? Then win your conference and you don't have to worry about it. Literally every FCS or FBS team has a sure fire way to get in, no human choice involved.

Problem solved.
Agree with this. 12 is too many. Conference Champs should be rewarded. At large is determined by the computers. Most people did not have an issue with the BCS selection formula (part computer and part humans) it was just that only 2 teams were selected. Using a objective formula is the best way to select the at large teams.

The CFP has never selected a 2-loss team. It always picks a 1-loss non-champion over a 2-loss champion. Iowa, okst and Lou have no chance because they already have 2 losses. In the scenerio listed, Ore, Tex, Bama all pick up their 2nd loss and are non-champions. That leaves

13-0 Champion Georgia
13-0 Champion Washington
12-1 non-champion FSU
12-1 non-champion Mich
11-1 non champion Ohio St

Of these, FSU is probably left out, then Mich and OSU get in.
Stop pointing out facts and history. That gets in the way of certain posters logic. The committee will pick Alabama because they just will and because in the end, even the reps on the committee from the other conferences secretly like the SEC more than their own conferences because they just do because everyone does and that is just true whether you believe it or not. Just true. Very true. So true.

Agree with this. 12 is too many. Conference Champs should be rewarded. At large is determined by the computers. Most people did not have an issue with the BCS selection formula (part computer and part humans) it was just that only 2 teams were selected. Using a objective formula is the best way to select the at large teams.
The best thing about combining conference champs with a publicly available RPI formula for the extra 2-3 at-larges is even if you don't like the RPI formula format you still can't bitch about it. If you want in, win your conference.

Yes Iowa, win your conference. This Saturday 7-10:30 CST. Score more than your opponent, you win the Big Ten for 2023.

Go Hawks. We love you. Then go bowling and fix the offense. Then we will love you even more. The state of the offense should embarrass everyone involved. I know it embarrasses me.

Latest posts