My First Fearfull Hawkeyes Prediction for 2013 Football Season

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I do this every spring and say that it's way too early to make a prediction but I am going to any way. I am so much more qualified to do this on this day, April 15th, because Ive seen one whole practice so now I am an expert.

OK, I'm not and even if I would have seen every practice up until now it wouldn't make me any more intelligent as it relates to Iowa's chances in the Big Ten this year.

With that garbage out of the way, I am going to lump Iowa's 2013 schedule into categories to begin with; likely win, likely loss and tossup.

Northern Illinois: Toss Up. They lose their talented defensive line but have a dual threat QB who is a playmaker

Missouri State: Win. It's good that Iowa squeezes this one in ahead of the ISU game so the quarterbacks can keep working on getting the kinks out.

at Iowa State: Toss Up. The best thing I see here is Iowa will have played two games before facing the Cyclones where ISU will have had one game and then the bye week. Fans and coaches from both sides will argue that their scenario is actually better for their team's chances for this game. Quite frankly, this may be one of the rare occasions where each team might be right given their own situation. Iowa's quarterbacks need game reps, so I am glad Iowa has two games. Better Iowa teams have gone into Ames and lost to Iowa State teams who did not make bowl games. I think the loser of this game is out of the bowl picture.

Western Michigan: Win. It had better be a win, otherwise it's Central Michigan from last year. You can't lose games like this.

at Minnesota: Loss. The Gophers are not going to be great, but neither is Iowa. It's on the road with a young QB and the game will be a sellout since it won't be 5 degrees yet.

Michigan State: Toss Up. They are still going to be stingy on defense and tough. It will be another low scoring affair.

Bye: Feeling good about Iowa's chances here.

at Ohio State: Loss. How many will Urban Meyer choose to hang on Iowa? Will it be 60? When was the last time an Iowa opponent scored 60 points in a game? Michigan State hung 49 on Iowa in 1999 and that may have been in the first half. Ohio State scored 56 on Iowa in 1995. You have to go back to 1994 to find the answer; Penn State and 61 points. I think the Buckeyes might do it this year.

Northwestern: Loss. Yes, it's at Kinnick but I think Northwestern is going to be pretty darned good this year, at least for a Big Ten team.

Wisconsin: Toss Up. ONLY because I am not yet sure what they are going to look like under a new head coach. I don't have an 'Iowa win' lean in this one.

at Purdue: Loss. They aren't great. I don't think Iowa will be, either. I don't see Iowa winning a road game this year and they have only won once on the road in each of the last two seasons. One of those trips was at Purdue two years ago.

Michigan: Loss. They will drop off, but they have more talent.

at Nebraska: Loss.

So there are six games where I see a loss at this time. I see just two games where I'd feel comfortable writing down a win and four games I have marked as toss ups. You may disagree with some of my labels on these games. I'd lean loss at Iowa State and win at home against NIU if I were forced to make a pick there, as well as a loss to Wisconsin and win against Michigan State.

6-6 would seem to be the 'high water mark' I see for this team right now given this schedule, but I'd feel much more comfortable picking 5-7.

That said, there are still four more months worth of Hawktimism consumption out there, right?

Last edited:
Page bookmarked for future reference. Also, I wonder if ActiveVadger is as big a Wisky football troll as he is for Beau and the bball team.

We can only hope so.

Page bookmarked for future reference. Also, I wonder if ActiveVadger is as big a Wisky football troll as he is for Beau and the bball team.

We can only hope so.

He was on here last year telling us how Danny O'Brien, or whoever their Maryland transfer QB was, was going to be just good as Russell Wilson. Two games later he was benched for a walk-on.

JD - plz don't call Northwestern a loss just yet. Last year's o-line was prolly the best unit they ever had. They had a lot of turnover on it and as such, I think they will be back to a 6-6 or 7-5 ball club. Their QBs are good and their RBs are okay, WRs are decent. Their defense is bad, though. If Davis figures out how to throw vertically, this thing could be a similar game to the one we played in 2011 at Kinnick (where we put up 41 points and O'Keefe lit them up all night). We'll need someone to make a big play like that pick 6 we had against Persa on their first drive, but it isn't like last year where they were materially better than us. I just really dislike the fact that Iowa football is now picked below Northwestern by a lot of people.

OK4P, I'm mildly freaked out about QB. The best news there is the OL should be good for Iowa, and a 'full stable of RB's' too.

Whether or not Ferentz lets Davis try to run his own offense or insists on another round of Iowexas Spread Thin attack, that may be a bigger question.

"Last year's o-line was prolly the best unit they ever had...Their QBs are good and their RBs are okay, WRs are decent."

Huh? :confused: Are you talking about the Hawkeyes?

"Last year's o-line was prolly the best unit they ever had...Their QBs are good and their RBs are okay, WRs are decent."

Huh? :confused: Are you talking about the Hawkeyes?

I believe he (OKP) was referring to the Fighting Fitzgeralds. :)

images

Thats 6 losses and 2 toss ups for the B10 season. I would be pretty close to that is I had to pick right now.

There just isn't that pathetic easy conference win there this year (IND/ILL/MINN at home)

Crazy to think that its realistic for a 0-8 conference season. That would put KF under .500 for his B10 career.

Thats 6 losses and 2 toss ups for the B10 season. I would be pretty close to that is I had to pick right now.

There just isn't that pathetic easy conference win there this year (IND/ILL/MINN at home)

Crazy to think that its realistic for a 0-8 conference season. That would put KF under .500 for his B10 career.

Look, I know I'm not the most optimistic Hawk fan out there, but 0-8 is just downright insane. We won't go 0-8. Davis is really bad, probably the worst o-coordinator in the history of football, but with that o-line and what I think will be an improved d-line, 2 conference wins is probably the lowes possible for this squad.

OK4P, I'm mildly freaked out about QB. The best news there is the OL should be good for Iowa, and a 'full stable of RB's' too.

Whether or not Ferentz lets Davis try to run his own offense or insists on another round of Iowexas Spread Thin attack, that may be a bigger question.

Well, if O'Keefe were still here, I would remind you that we don't need great QB play to get to 6 wins or so (2003, 2006, 2007). It really comes down to Davis, as I guarantee you that with this o-line and just a D-1 caliber QB (not good, just D-1 caliber) this ball club could easily win 6 games. If we get O'Keefe's playbook out, pound the rock, control TOP, keep the defense off the field, hit the play action when we have it set up, etc., this team could coast to 7 or 8 wins easily. If we get another round of Davis' "hey receivers, here are the 8 permutations of routes you can run on this play and the QB will have to make 9 reads identical to the reads you have to make" offense, then we're screwed. I get the strategy behind it but it just isn't a college offense - relative simplicity and execution was our bread and butter for a decade and with an inexperienced QB and WRs plus a good o-line and running attack, that is what we need to get back to.

Please don't taunt AIRBHG.

Jon, it would be good if you could align your prediction with the underlying aspects of the Iowa team that (correct me I am reading your post wrongly) obviously horrify you. Is it the Offense (receivers, QB, DL, LBs, scheme on offense..?), Defense (DL, LBs..?)

If you step back, I believe you will find a better player (upgrade via experience or talent) at EVERY spot compared to last year. You may choose to quibble about 1-2 (Center, and 1 CB) but in general Iowa will field a better team. Certainly the schedule on paper might be a upgrade but that has never made a difference at Iowa.

I do this every spring and say that it's way too early to make a prediction but I am going to any way. I am so much more qualified to do this on this day, April 15th, because Ive seen one whole practice so now I am an expert.

OK, I'm not and even if I would have seen every practice up until now it wouldn't make me any more intelligent as it relates to Iowa's chances in the Big Ten this year.

With that garbage out of the way, I am going to lump Iowa's 2013 schedule into categories to begin with; likely win, likely loss and tossup.

Northern Illinois: Toss Up. They lose their talented defensive line but have a dual threat QB who is a playmaker

Missouri State: Win. It's good that Iowa squeezes this one in ahead of the ISU game so the quarterbacks can keep working on getting the kinks out.

at Iowa State: Toss Up. The best thing I see here is Iowa will have played two games before facing the Cyclones where ISU will have had one game and then the bye week. Fans and coaches from both sides will argue that their scenario is actually better for their team's chances for this game. Quite frankly, this may be one of the rare occasions where each team might be right given their own situation. Iowa's quarterbacks need game reps, so I am glad Iowa has two games. Better Iowa teams have gone into Ames and lost to Iowa State teams who did not make bowl games. I think the loser of this game is out of the bowl picture.

Western Michigan: Win. It had better be a win, otherwise it's Central Michigan from last year. You can't lose games like this.

at Minnesota: Loss. The Gophers are not going to be great, but neither is Iowa. It's on the road with a young QB and the game will be a sellout since it won't be 5 degrees yet.

Michigan State: Toss Up. They are still going to be stingy on defense and tough. It will be another low scoring affair.

Bye: Feeling good about Iowa's chances here.

at Ohio State: Loss. How many will Urban Meyer choose to hang on Iowa? Will it be 60? When was the last time an Iowa opponent scored 60 points in a game? Michigan State hung 49 on Iowa in 1999 and that may have been in the first half. Ohio State scored 56 on Iowa in 1995. You have to go back to 1994 to find the answer; Penn State and 61 points. I think the Buckeyes might do it this year.

Northwestern: Loss. Yes, it's at Kinnick but I think Northwestern is going to be pretty darned good this year, at least for a Big Ten team.

Wisconsin: Toss Up. ONLY because I am not yet sure what they are going to look like under a new head coach. I don't have an 'Iowa win' lean in this one.

at Purdue: Loss. They aren't great. I don't think Iowa will be, either. I don't see Iowa winning a road game this year and they have only won once on the road in each of the last two seasons. One of those trips was at Purdue two years ago.

Michigan: Loss. They will drop off, but they have more talent.

at Nebraska: Loss.

So there are six games where I see a loss at this time. I see just two games where I'd feel comfortable writing down a win and four games I have marked as toss ups. You may disagree with some of my labels on these games. I'd lean loss at Iowa State and win at home against NIU if I were forced to make a pick there, as well as a loss to Wisconsin and win against Michigan State.

6-6 would seem to be the 'high water mark' I see for this team right now given this schedule, but I'd feel much more comfortable picking 5-7.

That said, there are still four more months worth of Hawktimism consumption out there, right?

A few months back I picked them to go 5-7. We're pretty close on predictions for this season. About the only place I strongly disagree with you here is on the clone game. I think Iowa wins easily in Ames this year on superior talent.

On the OSU game, does D-1A college football have the 50 point lead by half time rule?

FreedComanche

Look, I know I'm not the most optimistic Hawk fan out there, but 0-8 is just downright insane. We won't go 0-8. Davis is really bad, probably the worst o-coordinator in the history of football, but with that o-line and what I think will be an improved d-line, 2 conference wins is probably the lowes possible for this squad.

I don't think Iowa is going to go 0-8 either. Just mentioning that there is no pathetic opponent on the B10 schedule this year. At least not pathetic for Iowa. Indiana is off, Minnesota is on the road, NW has proven those days are behind them, at least with Fitz around.

If we go 2-10 KF should be fired no matter how much money the university owes him. I am thinking 6-6 or 7-5 which is still not good, but won't cost the coach his job.

I don't think we can fire the guy yet. Even if we go 2-10, I would need to see the younger guys and how they develop before saying Fire Kurt. I still think the biggest drop off last year was the change all the expert fans wanted, namely moving O'Keefe out. But I think if we have a more mobile QB this year and Davis runs some sets that spread the D, we could have a scary good offense behind that line, so I don't want even want to consider going 2-10 at this point.

Latest posts