My First Fearfull Hawkeyes Prediction for 2013 Football Season

If we only win two, three, or four games, changes must be made.

The Iowa football program cannot afford to have that dismal of a season.

I still believe in KF...but I have to agree. Outside of GD...I like the changes he's made to the staff. We have no choice but to hope GD and the offense can change things around...we should know by week 3...or at least have an idea. Anything similar to the awful offensive production of last season...at the very least OC has to change.

Interesting but didn't you say..

Jon Miller 12/19/2012
"I do feel things can get worse for Iowa, where a 4-8 season isn't a rarity. I don't think we'll see that again from a Ferentz-led Iowa team. I think he has one more 'run' in him before he grunts off into that good night".

Yup...I hadn't looked at the 2013 schedule in much detail at that point...really, yesterday was the first time I have spent much time in it. Perhaps I spoke too soon on 12/19/12

I think we get 6 wins. I only say that because even the bad KF teams, and the injury riddled KF teams have historically gotten to 6 wins. Last years team was the exception.

I hope anyway.....

I don't think we can fire the guy yet. Even if we go 2-10, I would need to see the younger guys and how they develop before saying Fire Kurt. I still think the biggest drop off last year was the change all the expert fans wanted, namely moving O'Keefe out. But I think if we have a more mobile QB this year and Davis runs some sets that spread the D, we could have a scary good offense behind that line, so I don't want even want to consider going 2-10 at this point.

My sarcasm meter appears to experience distortion on some of your posts and this is one of them. Totally my derp, I will admit.

Another 4-win season, or worse, Kurt should be gone. And will be IMHO...

Another 4-win season, or worse, Kurt should be gone. And will be IMHO...

Absolutely. This is D1 College Football. As a head coach it is his main responsibility to put assistant coaches in place who will lead your team to success. In my opinion, Ferentz put all of his chips on Greg Davis. If we see another 4-8 season or worse one of the main reasons will be yet another lackluster offensive performance. Greg Davis should not be the only one who burns for that. You can't just say "ehhh he made a mistake hiring GD, let's give him the benefit of the doubt". That doesn't happen anywhere else in the country, nor should it happen in Iowa City. He's paid very well to put people in place to make the program successful. If he hasn't done that, and he doesn't show the cajones to realize it and change the system as soon as he sees it's not gonna work then he doesn't deserve to remain HC. Bret freaking Bielema was able to consistently replace great assistant coaches with more great assistant coaches. If that guy can do it then KF sure as hell should be able to.

I want some of what the people saying the Hawks will go 8-4 are smoking. That would be a great bounce back, but 6-6 is about as best that we could expect. It is almost like people are forgetting how bad this team was last year.

Absolutely. This is D1 College Football. As a head coach it is his main responsibility to put assistant coaches in place who will lead your team to success. In my opinion, Ferentz put all of his chips on Greg Davis. If we see another 4-8 season or worse one of the main reasons will be yet another lackluster offensive performance. Greg Davis should not be the only one who burns for that. You can't just say "ehhh he made a mistake hiring GD, let's give him the benefit of the doubt". That doesn't happen anywhere else in the country, nor should it happen in Iowa City. He's paid very well to put people in place to make the program successful. If he hasn't done that, and he doesn't show the cajones to realize it and change the system as soon as he sees it's not gonna work then he doesn't deserve to remain HC. Bret freaking Bielema was able to consistently replace great assistant coaches with more great assistant coaches. If that guy can do it then KF sure as hell should be able to.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired if he has another horrible season this year, but he won't be. He'll be given an ultimatum: win in 14 or you are gone.

FreedComanche

Thats 6 losses and 2 toss ups for the B10 season. I would be pretty close to that is I had to pick right now.

There just isn't that pathetic easy conference win there this year (IND/ILL/MINN at home)

Crazy to think that its realistic for a 0-8 conference season. That would put KF under .500 for his B10 career.

You are crazy for thinking 0-8 is realistic.

This team will not be 8-4, nor will this team go 0-8 in the B1G. The team will be competitive enough to win a game by accident if that is required — but to think Iowa is anything other than a six-win team at this point is pretty nuts. Too many question marks — especially on the offense. There's a flock of new receivers we haven't seen — and no one knows who will be throwing them the ball yet as well. I love Weisman and the idea of a ground and pound game, but the Hawks will have to toss it as well. No team can run every single down of the game.

This team will not be 8-4, nor will this team go 0-8 in the B1G. The team will be competitive enough to win a game by accident if that is required — but to think Iowa is anything other than a six-win team at this point is pretty nuts. Too many question marks — especially on the offense. There's a flock of new receivers we haven't seen — and no one knows who will be throwing them the ball yet as well. I love Weisman and the idea of a ground and pound game, but the Hawks will have to toss it as well. No team can run every single down of the game.

You are hoping it sets up PA, the waggle stuff. CJF and Hamilton will have opportunities to make plays on seam routes, will they take advantage of it or not remains to be seen.

No team can survive on the ground unless the Qb is also a threat to run (see NW against us last year). In KF style of offense (which is below average throughout his career by any standard) we need the threat of the deep ball or an oline that every single snap all 5 guys kick the crap out of their guy. Obviously with the change in coordinator the deep ball has stopped happening and post rhabo and better steroid testing the 2002 unit isn't coming back.

I agree that the conservative play will by random chance win a game that we probably shouldn't because of bad weather or bounce of the ball. But overall with our current offensive strategy we have little chance of having meaningful success (>8 wins) under KF. Coupled with the most inept end of game ability in all of college football (see punting the ball on 4th and inches against Indiana among many others) and the chances are even worse.

7-5 is our cap from here on out and by keeping it close so much against bad teams we have a much higher chance of seasons like last year given the end of game problems.

No team can survive on the ground unless the Qb is also a threat to run (see NW against us last year). In KF style of offense (which is below average throughout his career by any standard) we need the threat of the deep ball or an oline that every single snap all 5 guys kick the crap out of their guy. Obviously with the change in coordinator the deep ball has stopped happening and post rhabo and better steroid testing the 2002 unit isn't coming back.

I agree that the conservative play will by random chance win a game that we probably shouldn't because of bad weather or bounce of the ball. But overall with our current offensive strategy we have little chance of having meaningful success (>8 wins) under KF. Coupled with the most inept end of game ability in all of college football (see punting the ball on 4th and inches against Indiana among many others) and the chances are even worse.

7-5 is our cap from here on out and by keeping it close so much against bad teams we have a much higher chance of seasons like last year given the end of game problems.

I think that falsely accusing the 2002 team of using PED's wasn't your best move, my friend.

I'm standing and applauding. Wonderful and very accurate post. It will be this way until he's gone.

FreedComanche

He was on here last year telling us how Danny O'Brien, or whoever their Maryland transfer QB was, was going to be just good as Russell Wilson. Two games later he was benched for a walk-on.

Yet Wisconsin went back to the Rose Bowl for the 3rd straight year even after a complete staff overhaul on the offensive side of the ball and firing the OL coach 2 games in. Hmmm.......

Wisconsin is going to be much better this season than they were last year so I find it comical Jon Miller thinks the Purdue game is a loss for Iowa yet the Wisconsin game is a toss-up. Lost Montee Ball but did you see the talent that Melvin Gordon possesses in the BIG Championship game? Also bringing back James White and every QB. 4 of Wisconsin's losses were by 3 points or less last year and 2 of those were in OT (MSU and OSU).

Face it, Wisconsin is going back to the Rose Bowl again.......

Keep working on your Wisconsin schtick Jonny Boy

Yep I'm a football fan and basketball fan. This has to be dark times for Wisconsin haters with us being so good in both major sports year in and year out. That Ferentz lifetime contract will ensure that you guys will be around 7-5 until 2025.

Is it a lifetime contract or does Ferentz have some type of equity/profit sharing plan in the University? Iowa sold their soul on that contract. I think there will be a Ferentz tied to the program until we are in flying cars.

Yet Wisconsin went back to the Rose Bowl for the 3rd straight year even after a complete staff overhaul on the offensive side of the ball and firing the OL coach 2 games in. Hmmm.......

Wisconsin is going to be much better this season than they were last year so I find it comical Jon Miller thinks the Purdue game is a loss for Iowa yet the Wisconsin game is a toss-up. Lost Montee Ball but did you see the talent that Melvin Gordon possesses in the BIG Championship game? Also bringing back James White and every QB. 4 of Wisconsin's losses were by 3 points or less last year and 2 of those were in OT (MSU and OSU).

Face it, Wisconsin is going back to the Rose Bowl again.......

Keep working on your Wisconsin schtick Jonny Boy

Dude, you got third in your division last year...third. You placed lower in your division than you did in your bowl game.

Dude, you got third in your division last year...third. You placed lower in your division than you did in your bowl game.

It wasn't my fault OSU and PSU did things they shouldn't have. I'm sure Oregon State fans will be saying that to Oregon fans in a year or two. Gotta play within the rules.

Latest posts