My First Fearfull Hawkeyes Prediction for 2013 Football Season

I think Iowa's Oline if they stay healthy will be the bell cow strength of this team. The running backs may not be all americans but are perfectly capable of being plenty good enough. Bullocks versatility lets him and Weisman be on the field at the same time and Canzeri is the perfect compliment to them. If if if they can stay healthy. I don't think they need whatever qb ends up playing to be a rock star. Just manage the game hit the TEs on play action and convert on 3rd downs more often then once in a blue moon. I think last yrs Hawks were burned by the Oline and rbs getting nicked up as much as bad qb and wr play. Another yr of Davis being able to know what kind of talent base he's working with will hopefully allow him to have better play calling with situational football. (please god no more 3 yard out patterns on 3rd and 9!!)

I think Iowa's Oline if they stay healthy will be the bell cow strength of this team. The running backs may not be all americans but are perfectly capable of being plenty good enough. Bullocks versatility lets him and Weisman be on the field at the same time and Canzeri is the perfect compliment to them. If if if they can stay healthy. I don't think they need whatever qb ends up playing to be a rock star. Just manage the game hit the TEs on play action and convert on 3rd downs more often then once in a blue moon. I think last yrs Hawks were burned by the Oline and rbs getting nicked up as much as bad qb and wr play. Another yr of Davis being able to know what kind of talent base he's working with will hopefully allow him to have better play calling with situational football. (please god no more 3 yard out patterns on 3rd and 9!!)

I can't wait to see the progress in the offense during the spring game, but I don't think we'll really see what kind of offense we could potentially have in the fall until the 5 new WR's get here this summer. I think Davis is counting on 1, 2 or maybe even 3 of those guys to play a lot of snaps.

I don't think we can fire the guy yet. Even if we go 2-10, I would need to see the younger guys and how they develop before saying Fire Kurt. I still think the biggest drop off last year was the change all the expert fans wanted, namely moving O'Keefe out. But I think if we have a more mobile QB this year and Davis runs some sets that spread the D, we could have a scary good offense behind that line, so I don't want even want to consider going 2-10 at this point.

I think there is way too much talent on the team to go 2-10, I just don't think it will happen, that's the only reason I said, KF should be fired if that is the final record. With that said, there are obviously several unknows, starting at QB. I suspect Davis is not a good OC, but is he as bad as what we saw last year? Or was it the WR coach not grasping the offense? Was JVB checking down too early becasue he was getting too much pressure? JVB just never looked comfortable.

I don't believe in being a pessimist, or a realist. I would rather be wrong a few times and be an optimist, than to say "I told you so". Barring significant injuries like last year, I think we can be significantly better than Last year. Individual Analysis:

Offensive Line: Better, deeper, more experienced than last year. Our strength.
Running Backs: should be better than last year, especially with a good Offensive line.
TE's: will be better, and used more effectively this year.

So the only question marks on offense that I have is QB and WR's:
---QB's: JVB struggled last year. I know we will lack experience, but we have done well before with new QB's in the past. KF's game plan of letting all 3 come in on an equal basis, competing, will let the cream rise to the top....hopefully sooner than later.
---WR's: Davis was a decent receiver that we lost, but he had drops. KMM has had good games the last 2 years. I look for him to have a decent year. McCarron gives me hope that we have a glue guy to go to on 3rd downs(besides our TE's). I am hoping he gives us that extra spark in the receiving group. Tevaun Smith got his feet wet last year. I am hoping that he gives us Davis's yards from last year. I hope that Powell comes in and dominates. I am also hoping that with 4 freshman coming in, one of them steps up and becomes the next up and coming WR. A lot of Hoping in the WR department.

Defense:
Defensive Line: Should be deeper and better this year compared to last year. Hopefull of a couple standing out, demanding the double team to help the pass rush.
Linebackers: Should be a strength, and deeper this year.
Defensive Backfield: Equal to last year. Lost a good CB, but we have a lot of young talent being groomed. Someone should end up being the next great CB. Safties hopefully will improve with more experince and competition, plus a better defensive line putting more pressure on the QB.
Special Teams: Expecting them to be significantly better this year.

Tougher schedule this year, but with a better team in almost every area. So it boils down to execution, injuries, weather, and the bounce of the ball. I believe 8-4 or 9-3 is possible. Injuries could derail this outcome, especially injuries at the WR spot, which is our biggest question mark coming in, in my opinion.
And I won't be playing the "I told you so" at the end of the season if this happens. Just going to stay positive.

I think we have a good shot vs Wisky and PU. We will beat ISU - they return like only 9 starters.

PU returns 13 starters from an average team that needed a minor miracle to beat us last yr although wins in WL is scarce. Can NW live up to their recent 'hype' coming off 10-win season and bowl victory? Harder to win with a target on your back especially when you're not used to it.

I can squeeze 7 wins with my optimistic view.

Wins: NIU, MoSt, ISU, WMU,
Toss-ups (Iowa lean): MN, WI, NW
Toss-ups (Opp lean): MSU, PU
Losses: OSU, Mich, NEB.

Interesting but didn't you say..

Jon Miller 12/19/2012
"I do feel things can get worse for Iowa, where a 4-8 season isn't a rarity. I don't think we'll see that again from a Ferentz-led Iowa team. I think he has one more 'run' in him before he grunts off into that good night".

Well, if O'Keefe were still here, I would remind you that we don't need great QB play to get to 6 wins or so (2003, 2006, 2007). It really comes down to Davis, as I guarantee you that with this o-line and just a D-1 caliber QB (not good, just D-1 caliber) this ball club could easily win 6 games. If we get O'Keefe's playbook out, pound the rock, control TOP, keep the defense off the field, hit the play action when we have it set up, etc., this team could coast to 7 or 8 wins easily. If we get another round of Davis' "hey receivers, here are the 8 permutations of routes you can run on this play and the QB will have to make 9 reads identical to the reads you have to make" offense, then we're screwed. I get the strategy behind it but it just isn't a college offense - relative simplicity and execution was our bread and butter for a decade and with an inexperienced QB and WRs plus a good o-line and running attack, that is what we need to get back to.
Awesome post. Now I know why you are on The Committee.

Jon, it would be good if you could align your prediction with the underlying aspects of the Iowa team that (correct me I am reading your post wrongly) obviously horrify you. Is it the Offense (receivers, QB, DL, LBs, scheme on offense..?), Defense (DL, LBs..?)If you step back, I believe you will find a better player (upgrade via experience or talent) at EVERY spot compared to last year. You may choose to quibble about 1-2 (Center, and 1 CB) but in general Iowa will field a better team. Certainly the schedule on paper might be a upgrade but that has never made a difference at Iowa.
I think you will find that the major problems with this team are on offense and defense. Special teams is also a potential problem area.

A few months back I picked them to go 5-7. We're pretty close on predictions for this season. About the only place I strongly disagree with you here is on the clone game. I think Iowa wins easily in Ames this year on superior talent.[/B][/SIZE]
How many times in the KF era has the team with superior talent actually won the Iowa-ISU game?

No way! This year is irrelevant. See below.

This has to be the year. If Scherff leaves for the NFL, we will lose 2 starting tackles and 3 reserves. We may have 5 talented linemen, but no experience behind it for any injury losses. That will put us back to last years status. Hopefully Scherff stays 2 more years. We also lose 3 starting linebackers. That is the other area that scares me for 2014. So 2013 better be our kick it up a gear year. We will lose a couple of other good players in 2014, but I think their is backups in place for those loses. At this time (which is way too far in advance to be discussing 2014), I like this years potential concerns compared to next years potential concerns.

2-10 ??????? I understand with the long contract the expense of buying KF out, but what lunatic would be for keeping KF around after a 2-10 season???? Incidentally I don't see a 2-10 season ahead I think we will be better than expected and I am going with an 8-4 season and a bowl win for good measure. 2-10 ??? That's not a firing offense that's a hanging offense.

here is my prediction, and yes I am just as qualified as anyone to make a prediction:

WINS: NIU, MSU, ISU, WMU, Minny, MSU, NW, Wisky, Purdue
LOSSES: OSU, Michigan, Nebraska

no leans this way or that way, this is a message board no need to be a *****.

here is my prediction, and yes I am just as qualified as anyone to make a prediction:

WINS: NIU, MSU, ISU, WMU, Minny, MSU, NW, Wisky, Purdue
LOSSES: OSU, Michigan, Nebraska

no leans this way or that way, this is a message board no need to be a *****.

Here is my prediction as of right now.
Wins: WMU, NIU, MOSt, Purdue,Wisky
Losses: ISU, Minny, MSU,OSU..gonna be really ugly, Michigan, Nebraska,and NW

Two things.

The Hawkeye d-line had better learn to get mean - quickly. The looked like a bunch of....um....I probably shouldn't say. But you can guess. I will say this, they looked "soft". Especially for their size.

If we do not find at least two new recievers out of the newbies, this will be another long, Long year.

Fix these two areas, and the Hawks will be respectable. If not, we are the door mat of the B1G once again.

How many times in the KF era has the team with superior talent actually won the Iowa-ISU game?

Just off the top of my head, last year comes to mind. That year Iowa beat up ISU in Ames, three or four years back?

Those are just two I remember without doing any research.

FreedComanche

If we go 2-10 KF should be fired no matter how much money the university owes him. I am thinking 6-6 or 7-5 which is still not good, but won't cost the coach his job.

I am with this line of thinking. 6 is improvement but 6 or fewer is never OK. 7 and a solid bowl is pretty good all things considered. 8 is likely the ceiling.

Purdue is breaking in a new head coach who only really has two years of head coaching experience. They don't have a true leader returning at quarterback. Combine that with the bad blood from last years loss and I think this game could be moved to "almost toss-up" status.....

Purdue is breaking in a new head coach who only really has two years of head coaching experience. They don't have a true leader returning at quarterback. Combine that with the bad blood from last years loss and I think this game could be moved to "almost toss-up" status.....

I am with you to a certain degree on Purdue. I think Danny Hope kinda, sorta deserved to be fired and kinda, sorta didn't deserve to be fired. If that makes any sense. I also do not think their AD got his first or second choice. In turn, he hired the wrong guy.

FreedComanche

Latest posts