My First Fearfull Hawkeyes Prediction for 2013 Football Season

Dude, you got third in your division last year...third. You placed lower in your division than you did in your bowl game.

And what happened last year doesn't change what is going to happen this year. This years team is much more talented than last years team. Last years team also suffered about every injury situation imaginable.

Jon's spring predictions are among the bleakest I've seen. A team that has that kind of seaon won't be worth watching. And someone who says that is a fair weather fan. Or someone who would rather enjoy life than torture self with unrealistic expectations each saturday come 11AM iowa time.

I have a little better feeling than most. This will be Davis' 2nd year in his system and I am hoping that he will be able to work with the young quarterbacks, our decent offensive line and backs in order to improve our offensive showing from last year.

I think our defense was pretty decent at the beginning of the year (see the Northern Illinois and Iowa State games) but they were just plain worn out at the end of the year because of the amount of time and bad situations that they were put in by the lack of offensive production.

If we get O'Keefe's playbook out, pound the rock, control TOP, keep the defense off the field, hit the play action when we have it set up, etc., this team could coast to 7 or 8 wins easily. If we get another round of Davis' "hey receivers, here are the 8 permutations of routes you can run on this play and the QB will have to make 9 reads identical to the reads you have to make" offense, then we're screwed. I get the strategy behind it but it just isn't a college offense - relative simplicity and execution was our bread and butter for a decade and with an inexperienced QB and WRs plus a good o-line and running attack, that is what we need to get back to.

I didn't think we would be pining for the o'Keefe playbook this soon. Thanks a lot Greg Davis.

They have a prediction thread on CyFan. So far over 20 people predict a solid win for ISU over Iowa and only one has it as a toss up. Apparently 6-7 seasons give those children over there delusions of grandeur.

They have a prediction thread on CyFan. So far over 20 people predict a solid win for ISU over Iowa and only one has it as a toss up. Apparently 6-7 seasons give those children over there delusions of grandeur.

I'm not a cyclone hater like some on here are, but come on clones. They know they will be by far the worst team in the big 12 this year. And, yes, they will get beat by the hawks in Ames this year. Don't you think deep down they know that about their team this year?

FreedComanche

Yet Wisconsin went back to the Rose Bowl for the 3rd straight year even after a complete staff overhaul on the offensive side of the ball and firing the OL coach 2 games in. Hmmm.......

Wisconsin is going to be much better this season than they were last year so I find it comical Jon Miller thinks the Purdue game is a loss for Iowa yet the Wisconsin game is a toss-up. Lost Montee Ball but did you see the talent that Melvin Gordon possesses in the BIG Championship game? Also bringing back James White and every QB. 4 of Wisconsin's losses were by 3 points or less last year and 2 of those were in OT (MSU and OSU).

Face it, Wisconsin is going back to the Rose Bowl again.......

Keep working on your Wisconsin schtick Jonny Boy

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. The Vadges finished like 6th in the weakest BIG on recent memory....You finished 4-4 in the BIG. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Bo Ryan would have at least finished top 4 in the BIG.

Yet Wisconsin went back to the Rose Bowl for the 3rd straight year even after a complete staff overhaul on the offensive side of the ball and firing the OL coach 2 games in. Hmmm.......

Wisconsin is going to be much better this season than they were last year so I find it comical Jon Miller thinks the Purdue game is a loss for Iowa yet the Wisconsin game is a toss-up. Lost Montee Ball but did you see the talent that Melvin Gordon possesses in the BIG Championship game? Also bringing back James White and every QB. 4 of Wisconsin's losses were by 3 points or less last year and 2 of those were in OT (MSU and OSU).

Face it, Wisconsin is going back to the Rose Bowl again.......

Keep working on your Wisconsin schtick Jonny Boy

And what happened last year doesn't change what is going to happen this year. This years team is much more talented than last years team. Last years team also suffered about every injury situation imaginable.

Does last year matter or not? Anyways Iowa lost 4 games by 3 or less another by 6. Do you see Iowa fans acting like you? Move on already.

I'm not a cyclone hater like some on here are, but come on clones. They know they will be by far the worst team in the big 12 this year. And, yes, they will get beat by the hawks in Ames this year. Don't you think deep down they know that about their team this year?

FreedComanche

You may not be a Cyclone hater but you are definitely not an expert on the Big 12. Kansas hasn't won a Big 12 game since 11/6/10 against Colorado, and hasn't beaten a team currently in the conference since beating ISU 10/10/09. I beg to differ on ISU being the worst team in the conference this year. Kansas gets the respect of first place in the conference in basketball because they have earned that, they have also earned the right to be the worst team in the Big 12 every year in football until they win at least one game. Even Pauw can win three conference games every year.

Another 4-win season, or worse, Kurt should be gone. And will be IMHO...

This team may end up being 3-9/4-8 this season but be a "better than their record" team because they could improve in all areas but with this much more difficult schedule and talent gap against other teams, their record may not show they are a better team than last season.

If team improves throughout the season and plays close in the games they lose (forget OSU game) but only finish 3-9, then I'm okay with that. Shows promise for 2014 - Kirk's do or die season IMO. This season isn't about W/L with all the staff changes and young guys with promise it's about rebuilding and improving - we are a developmental program. This is the smallest senior class in Ferentz era and that's due to the attrition over the past few years and poor recruiting classes. I am going into this season much like I did Kirk's 2nd year as HC. That team was underdog in every game yet they played tough and never quit. You could see them improving and made you look forward to the next season.

Now if this team is anything like last season and finishes with a worse record then it just isn't going to get better. Might be time to clean house because if there is regressing from the train wreck that was last season Kirk isn't going to get it back on track.

Arguably the 2nd best defense of the last 13 years and yet they were only able to generate 6 victories.........Are they really that overconfident?

You may not be a Cyclone hater but you are definitely not an expert on the Big 12. Kansas hasn't won a Big 12 game since 11/6/10 against Colorado, and hasn't beaten a team currently in the conference since beating ISU 10/10/09. I beg to differ on ISU being the worst team in the conference this year. Kansas gets the respect of first place in the conference in basketball because they have earned that, they have also earned the right to be the worst team in the Big 12 every year in football until they win at least one game. Even Pauw can win three conference games every year.

First off, I don't mean to beat you or the clones up here. I meant that you are the worst team this coming season in the big 12. I think you will be worse than KS because you lose so much from last year. And I do think KS beats you this fall.

FreedComanche

I think your take is too optimistic, John. With the retention of Davis, I have zero faith that Ferentz can get this program turned around again.

Jon, it would take less time if you just say 1 win, and then start a pool on who the coach is next year.

Latest posts