My favorite part of the Greg Davis presser

iahawk72

was this section:

But you can do some things to help them with the learning curve, and that’s what we plan to do. We don’t ever want a great, talented player sitting over there with Kirk just because of the scheme. That’s not good coaching.

I have felt over the last 13 years that there has been a rigidness in the coaching that dictates that unless a player masters the complex offensive system they aren't going to see the field no matter how talented they are. My take away from the above is that Davis believes in getting the most talented players on the field and adjusting to their capabilities to do this. Get the best players on the field and figure out how to best use them.

iahawk72

I hope so.

Otherwise I also hope this isn't like having a favorite part of edible underwear.

I am pretty blase about Kurt in general after the past 2 years of suck.

was this section:

But you can do some things to help them with the learning curve, and that’s what we plan to do. We don’t ever want a great, talented player sitting over there with Kirk just because of the scheme. That’s not good coaching.

I have felt over the last 13 years that there has been a rigidness in the coaching that dictates that unless a player masters the complex offensive system they aren't going to see the field no matter how talented they are. My take away from the above is that Davis believes in getting the most talented players on the field and adjusting to their capabilities to do this. Get the best players on the field and figure out how to best use them.

I tend to agree. I had a similar thought when I read Davis' statement: "What we will do here will be driven by what we have here." Like many I feel there's been some wasted talent...Damian Sims, Champ Davis, etc... I felt there was either an inflexibility or just plain inability to best utilize the talent we had. Finding a guy willing and able to make these kind of adjustments was tops on my priority list. This gives me hope.

was this section:

iahawk72

it's widely known and understood that the best players always inhabited the sideline crowd. only seniors play in the ferentz system.

that's why tavian banks didn't play much until senior saison....

;)

this stuff gets unbelievably brutal to read.

it's widely known and understood that the best players always inhabited the sideline crowd. only seniors play in the ferentz system.

that's why tavian banks didn't play much until senior saison....

;)

this stuff gets unbelievably brutal to read.

Except it has happened before....Christenson over Stanzi, Sleeper over Bernstine, etc. Ferentz's reluctance to play stanzi cost us at least one win, maybe even two.

Except it has happened before....Christenson over Stanzi, Sleeper over Bernstine, etc. Ferentz's reluctance to play stanzi cost us at least one win, maybe even two.

so you think ferentz plays guys that put the team in the best position to lose?

I've now heard it all.

egads, how many true freshman have played the last few years at Iowa....a lot

That's due in large part to the attrition we saw with our aalready subpar '08 and '09 recruiting classes. Kurt is getting better at this, but still not as good as maybe he should be.

so you think ferentz plays guys that put the team in the best position to lose?

I've now heard it all.

Learn to read. I never said that. His hard-headedness when it comes to playing "smart, system" players over someone who is clearly more talented can be very frustrating.

That lasted about a game, and Stanzi didn't exactly light the world on fire against ISU or Pitt. And if I recall Stanzi did start every game after that or am I mistaken?

I dislike the part where he says "We're going to blend styles". Enjoy the same offense we've been seeing.

On a serious note, he sounded good (or at least it read that way). I like what he said about recruiting, that'll be a plus (Yes, I know he's not going to bring all of Texas' 5 star recruits with him!). It's a good connection we didn't have before, though.

We'll see how different everything is in time.

Learn to read. I never said that. His hard-headedness when it comes to playing "smart, system" players over someone who is clearly more talented can be very frustrating.

a guy who is talented but can't run the correct route is useless. Learn to understand what you are in fact stating.

a coach who purposely keeps the best players on the bench - isn't out there, or at least won't be there long.

best players are guys with talent who know what they are doing on the field. it's both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked that portion of the presser as well. I don't think KF wants to lose, but I do think his definition of "best player available" is different than how we see it. In his mind, the best guy for the job is the guy who's mastered the system. But from the way the presser sounded, we may start bending the system so that other players can get involved.

For example: Instead of getting mostly special teams duty last year because his in-tight blocking wasn't up to snuff, perhaps CJF would have been used a little in the slot to create mismatches without highlighting his shortcomings as a blocker. Not all the time, just a new wrinkle. That's the sort of thing I imagine when I heard Davis say the bit about adapting to what we have.

a guy who is talented and can run the correct route is useless. Learn to understand what you are in fact stating.

a coach who purposely keeps the best players on the bench - isn't out there, or at least won't be there long.

best players are guys with talent who know what they are doing on the field. it's both.

And from what Davis said, it sounds like "what they're doing" can be variable. I don't think anyone would argue that KF would take a player who's mastered the system over a guy with superior physical tools/talent. This seems like we're going to start trying to give those more talented players a way to contribute, even if they haven't mastered the base scheme/philosophy. That's a good thing, IMO. It gives us a certain amount of unpredictability from year to year.

I really liked that portion of the presser as well. I don't think KF wants to lose, but I do think his definition of "best player available" is different than how we see it. In his mind, the best guy for the job is the guy who's mastered the system. But from the way the presser sounded, we may start bending the system so that other players can get involved.

True, and in theory, great. I hope it works out, but Davis is still going to have to answer to the boss.

Latest posts