Music Thread

Another shameless plug.... if this music thread just keeps going forever I guess I can just keep posting new content from my band. Here is a live performance we did for a deal called Basement Creators Network. Notice all the American made guitars in their natural element. ;)

Your vocalist doesn't quite have that Bonnie Raitt smoky blues voice, but that's pretty rarified air anyway. She sounds better than a lot of singers I saw in the Nashville honky tonks when we were there in July. I can hear some Martina McBride/Lindsay Ell/Trisha Yearwood in her voice which is more than solid enough to carry the day.

Your vocalist doesn't quite have that Bonnie Raitt smoky blues voice, but that's pretty rarified air anyway. She sounds better than a lot of singers I saw in the Nashville honky tonks when we were there in July. I can hear some Martina McBride/Lindsay Ell/Trisha Yearwood in her voice which is more than solid enough to carry the day.

Thanks dude.... we have a bunch more "live" videos we are putting out this fall - I'll keep posting em here.

I'm as frustrated as the next, there just isn't anything I can do about it, I also have respect for our coaches and players win or lose so I tend to let that be the dominating factor in my posts.
The worst is when da haters call you a Kool-Aid drinking homer for having the audacity to support a team. Part of being a fan is sticking with your team through the good, the bad and the mediocre. I'm sure da haters never lose a bid, sale, or court case on their jobs and never have an argument with their significant others.

To come on here and spew venom, and the same narratives over and over and over and over is so childish it isnt even funny.

I'm as frustrated as the next, there just isn't anything I can do about it, I also have respect for our coaches and players win or lose so I tend to let that be the dominating factor in my posts.
I pointed out that Kirk's teams have averaged more ppg, over the duration of Kirk's career, than Hayden's teams. That didn't even need to get the attention of da haters. That rankled the feathers of level minded posters, who quickly told me to stop bringing it up, then rapidly dove into the metrics. Recency bias is a powerful force, but if people are going to constantly criticize Kirk's "boring offenses" it doesn't surprise me they would bristle at facts and defend Hayden's.

Another shameless plug.... if this music thread just keeps going forever I guess I can just keep posting new content from my band. Here is a live performance we did for a deal called Basement Creators Network. Notice all the American made guitars in their natural element. ;)

I had a Jazzmaster back in the day, bought it from a classmate in like 7th grade maybe for probably fifty bucks with a shitty suitcase amp that didn't work. He had already spray painted it orange and black with tiger stripes. Like he was doing his best (worst) attempt at a Bengals helmet. Pickguard and all, It looked to me like he basically took the strings off, taped the neck and pickups off, and went to town. Ugliest instrument on the planet and I'm guessing it met a merciful end in the landfill after I left the house. The neck was shot and the body had a crack you could tell had been glued back together. My best guess is someone dropped it on the strap button at one time.

Last edited:
I would love to see Sturgill live. If he plays close by, I will attend. Maybe catch up with you and Fry at the time. That would be cool.....
Where ever that is, I’ll likely be at it.
I'll definitely be there when the tour gets closest, but you guys would be pretty let down when you found out I'm actually a 58 year old lady who wears tucked-in polo shirts and velcro shoes.

I had a Jazzmaster back in the day, bought it from a classmate in like 7th grade maybe for probably fifty bucks with a shitty suitcase amp that didn't work. He had already spray painted it orange and black with tiger stripes. Like he was doing his best (worst) attempt at a Bengals helmet. Pickguard and all, It looked to me like he basically took the strings off, taped the neck and pickups off, and went to town. Ugliest instrument on the planet and I'm guessing it met a merciful end in the landfill after I left the house. The neck was shot and the body had a crack you could tell had been glued back together. My best guess is someone dropped it on the strap button at one time.

Either way, it's a cool story. If only people took care of shit back then, they'd have some pretty expensive gear now. I love that 58 reissue JM I have, it's so choice and sounds amazing. Everyone in my band literally keeps upping the anti on guitars. My guitar player just bought an actual 68 tele that is about the most gorgeous guitar I've ever seen. I've become a giant gear snob in my old age (mostly cause I can finally afford to be). I started out a Gibson guy but now have become more Fender in my older age.

Right now my main guitars are

1983 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty Standard. This was my first guitar and I played it in a punk/rock band that toured through most of my 20's. It is beat to shit .... I mean, I've restored it and it sounds great, but it's probably worth closer to $1k then it is to $5k.
1989 Gibson Explorer - again - from my hard rock days. It's also seen better days, but I recently put some new pick ups in it and ditched the mirror pick guard (what made it metal) and have been trying to restore it....slowly. If I pulled that bitch out on stage now I'd get some looks
2010 Fender Tele American Standard - probably my favorite and most versatile guitar. I used it for about 4 years playing out. It's my go to, never lets me down.
2017 1958 reissue Jazz Master - it's my dream guitar haha. I visited it like I had joint custody with it or something at the guitar shop here in town. It sat on their wall for over a year, I went in one day and shot a price that was close to a grand under the sticker price and they went for it. It sounds great, it's a little buzzier then I am used to and keeping it in tune especially in outdoor situations is tougher.
2014 J15 Gibson acoustic (also in the video being played by Billie, the gal) - it's literally, and I mean, literally the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played and I've played some great ones. I've put it up against some 60's Doves and even the new Hummingbirds and it's just far superior. Gibson acoustics are expensive but absolutely worth it IMO.

I don't know...:)about a month ago I took on about half a dozen fellow posters who evidently confused Tom Petty...TOM PETTY... with John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed or David Bowie.

I gave Petty as much credit as I though he deserved.. and no more. He was a refreshing and visionary rock and roll artist who took cues from Dylan, the Byrds and the Stones, made that into his own original home brew, and sang it with one of the most nasal twangs in the history of rock and roll. It was like watching a young Garry Templeton get to every grounder on the left side of the infield with graceful artistry-then throw the ball over the first base dugout. One of the best of the last half century but not quite a rock and roll immortal. But boy did I get raked over the coals.

To tell you the truth, I didn't really begin to appreciate Tom Petty until the late 90's, well after the fact. If I was going to compare Tom Petty to contemporaries, I would probably pick Bruce Springsteen and Jackson Browne. I would say Petty is somewhat the lesser of the three, Springsteen and Browne being the better lyricists. All three mixed folk, roots, singer-songwriter, rock-n-roll, and rock. Brownie was less rock influenced and much more a very late practitioner of the New York 60's folk scene. I don't think Springsteen was any less influenced by the same New York scene but was much more rock influenced. Petty was obviously more influenced by British Rock than either Springsteen or Browne.

I miss the "old school" MTV day's. I loved watching it as a kid. The Police, Madonna, ZZ Top, Pat Benatar, Billy Idol, The Stones ect....

axs tv is not bad though, I get it through my cable provider, it's a good music and movie channel.

88e3ee50f6fb3e47c6fdca4b7d4c33699137319a

To tell you the truth, I didn't really begin to appreciate Tom Petty until the late 90's, well after the fact. If I was going to compare Tom Petty to contemporaries, I would probably pick Bruce Springsteen and Jackson Browne. I would say Petty is somewhat the lesser of the three, Springsteen and Browne being the better lyricists. All three mixed folk, roots, singer-songwriter, rock-n-roll, and rock. Brownie was less rock influenced and much more a very late practitioner of the New York 60's folk scene. I don't think Springsteen was any less influenced by the same New York scene but was much more rock influenced. Petty was obviously more influenced by British Rock than either Springsteen or Browne.
I compared him to Bob Seger and John Mellencamp, both who happen to solidly be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Again, I touched a few nerves.

To me Springsteen and John Fogerty are near equals, but here's where John has the advantage. Bruce conjured up images of the New York and New Jersey that he had grown up in.

Fogerty could conjure up images of the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of an American South and Mississippi Delta that he could only have fantasized about growing up near the northern California Bay area. Yet he pulled it off in stunning fashion. With the spectre of the Vietnam War as a backdrop, everything CCR did just resounded!

Last edited:
I compared him to Bob Seger and John Mellencamp, both who happen to solidly be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Again, I touched a few nerves.

To me Springsteen and John Fogerty are near equals, but here's where John has the advantage. Bruce conjured up images of the New York and New Jersey that he had grown up in.

Fogerty could conjure up images of the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of an American South and Mississippi Delta that he could only have fantasized about growing up near the northern California Bay area. Yet he pulled it off in stunning fashion.

I think a comparison with Seger would be fair. I tend to think Petty gets over rated and Seger underrated. I'm still put off on Mellencamp's work, and will leave it at that.

I miss the "old school" MTV day's. I loved watching it as a kid. The Police, Madonna, ZZ Top, Pat Benatar, Billy Idol, The Stones ect....

axs tv is not bad though, I get it through my cable provider, it's a good music and movie channel.

88e3ee50f6fb3e47c6fdca4b7d4c33699137319a
ZZ Top is a good example of a band who's career had stalled a bit, but was clearly resuscitated by MTV. Billy Idol too. They also tweaked their sound ever so slightly, writing a batch of songs that fit right in to the burgeoning format of FM classic rock radio.

Try to imagine Duran Duran's career without those exotic and erotic videos. The Cars caught a second wind in their career thanks in part to some memorable videos. Aerosmith as well. KISS.

Then there bands who's careers downturned when they didn't quite grasp the concept of videos. AC/DC is a good example of that, though they remained an excellent concert draw. Styx, for all the theatrics and showmanship in the band, made corny videos even for the day. Queen, another theatrical band, struggled with videos. Perhaps as those band members aged and were replaced by younger, better looking musicians in bands like Def Leppard and Night Ranger and Journey it affected their telegenic image. It may have also led to the mid to late eighties hair metal explosion.

Latest posts