Music Thread

I saw Cream play their first concert in America at Fillmore West way back then.The joint was jammed. All the SF musicians were there walking thru the crowd. Still have the poster.....

BG110_poc.jpg

God bless Ginger

:confused:
Wasn't Bill Graham also the promoter of Oakland's legendary "Wearing of the Green" festivals?

There's a famous story of a security guard at one of those festivals slapping one of John Bonham's kids backstage (presumably Jason). Word got back to a drunk papa drummer. John and Peter Grant went back to the security guard's trailer and took care of business. If you knew John and Peter, you would not want to be on the business end of that business.

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame for 2020 have been released and are as follows,

Notorious B.I.G
Whitney Houston
Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Bamd
Depeche Mode
Doobie Brothers
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motorhead
Nine Inch Nails
Rufus
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy

Assuming five bands get inducted heres who I would vote for off this list

Depeche Mode
Motorhead
Rufus
Soundgarden
Judas Priest

Here's a list of eligible bands who keeps getting snubbed

Husker Du
Sonic Youth
Styx
The Buzzcocks
UFO
The Scorpions
Dinosaur Jr
The Pixies
Alice In Chains
Grand Funk Railroad
Bad Company
Pavement
Motley Crue

Here's a shoo in first time eligible in 2021

Foo Fighters

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame for 2020 have been released and are as follows,

Notorious B.I.G
Whitney Houston
Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Bamd
Depeche Mode
Doobie Brothers
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motorhead
Nine Inch Nails
Rufus
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy

Assuming five bands get inducted heres who I would vote for off this list

Depeche Mode
Motorhead
Rufus
Soundgarden
Judas Priest

Here's a list of eligible bands who keeps getting snubbed

Husker Du
Sonic Youth
Styx
The Buzzcocks
UFO
The Scorpions
Dinosaur Jr
The Pixies
Alice In Chains
Grand Funk Railroad
Bad Company
Pavement
Motley Crue

Here's a shoo in first time eligible in 2021

Foo Fighters

Anyone who doesn't vote Rundgren in should prolly stop posting in "Music Thread" :)

Anyone who doesn't vote Rundgren in should prolly stop posting in "Music Thread" :)
Depeche Mode should get in, and deservedly so, because that door was opened with the Smith's and the Cure got in. I think the door is open for some of those European "mope rock" bands.

There has been a strong buzz for metal bands to start getting in. Once that barrier breaks down you're going to see about half a dozen get scooped up pretty quick. How does def Def Leppard get in when they started out equal parts UFO and Thin Lizzy, and both of them are on the outside looking in.

I considered Rundgren and I suppose you could put Todd in over Judas Priest. But I'm still voting for Motorhead. They are cited as an influence from everyone from Metallica to Black Flag to Bad Religion to Green Day. I think Ozzy as a solo artist deserves some serious consideration too. And I completely forgot J Geils Band, how are they not in there?

Another shameless plug.... if this music thread just keeps going forever I guess I can just keep posting new content from my band. Here is a live performance we did for a deal called Basement Creators Network. Notice all the American made guitars in their natural element. ;)

It's one of the places I hang out when the forum implodes. It's not a complaint about those that are doing the imploding. Being an Iowa football fan definitely has its frustrations.

It's one of the places I hang out when the forum implodes. It's not a complaint about those that are doing the imploding. Being an Iowa football fan definitely has its frustrations.

I'm as frustrated as the next, there just isn't anything I can do about it, I also have respect for our coaches and players win or lose so I tend to let that be the dominating factor in my posts.

I don't know...:)about a month ago I took on about half a dozen fellow posters who evidently confused Tom Petty...TOM PETTY... with John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed or David Bowie.

I gave Petty as much credit as I though he deserved.. and no more. He was a refreshing and visionary rock and roll artist who took cues from Dylan, the Byrds and the Stones, made that into his own original home brew, and sang it with one of the most nasal twangs in the history of rock and roll. It was like watching a young Garry Templeton get to every grounder on the left side of the infield with graceful artistry-then throw the ball over the first base dugout. One of the best of the last half century but not quite a rock and roll immortal. But boy did I get raked over the coals.

Last edited: