Music Thread

Someone commented recently on all the icons and milestones that turned fifty this year.

Woodstock
The first moon landing
Joe Namath's super bowl win
The Cubs September collapse
Hurricane Camille
The Broadway musical Hair
The fateful Altamont concert
The debut of Sesame Street
The debut of Scooby Doo
Too many great songs and albums to mention.

Can you or anyone else come up with others? I was four at the time.

The album cover for Music From Big Pink was painted by Bob Dylan

Looks like a throwback to a kindergarten art project

510sg2%2BiT5L._SY355_.jpg

I believe the Band was hanging out in Woodstock with Dylan after the motorcycle crash

John Wesley Harding album followed the accident

:cool:

The album cover for Music From Big Pink was painted by Bob Dylan

Looks like a throwback to a kindergarten art project

510sg2%2BiT5L._SY355_.jpg

I believe the Band was hanging out in Woodstock with Dylan after the motorcycle crash

John Wesley Harding album followed the accident

Your timeline on this might be about two year late. Dylan's accident was in 66. The recovery period at Woodstock with The Band was in the first half of 67. Dylan left and they kept working independently. Music from the Big Pink was released the next year. Dylan's music for John Westley Harding was written in the spring of 67 at Woodstock, and recorded late in the year.

Late 68 into very early 69 was the period when Dylan worked with Johnny Cash on Nashville Skyline. The results were uneven, and quite frankly sounded stiff and forced. Dylan wasn't really a fit for Nashville's more commercial production methods. It did Cash few favors either. Plus, the whole music scene had taken a toll on both of them.

Your timeline on this might be about two year late. Dylan's accident was in 66. The recovery period at Woodstock with The Band was in the first half of 67. Dylan left and they kept working independently. Music from the Big Pink was released the next year. Dylan's music for John Westley Harding was written in the spring of 67 at Woodstock, and recorded late in the year.

Late 68 into very early 69 was the period when Dylan worked with Johnny Cash on Nashville Skyline. The results were uneven, and quite frankly sounded stiff and forced. Dylan wasn't really a fit for Nashville's more commercial production methods. It did Cash few favors either. Plus, the whole music scene had taken a toll on both of them.

Didn't exactly mention an exact year

I do remember buying John Wesly Hardin and Music from Big Pink when released though

Around that period of time

I was living in SF going to the Fillmore every Thursday thru Sunday

Cost me $12 for all 4 nights

New Sturgill Simpson album released

Dearly love Sturgill ever since I was awakened by his performance on SNL. I had fallen asleep and this song jolted me awake. Still one of my favorite live music videos.....

Kinda reminds me of Gimme Some Loving by The Spencer Davis Band with the wunderkind Stevie Winwood.....

Song from Sturgill's brand new album:

I was at UNI Dome for Panorama tour. It was not a bottle thrown at Martha Davis. It was a towel or T-shirt. That night told me Elliot Easton was a very underrated guitarist years before he did "Wearing Down Like a Wheel".

That was from a program called "Radio 1990".

I remember that show from the early to mid 1980's on the then-fledging USA channel. The anchor was Kathryn Kinley and it featured interviews from "the Barbara Walters of music", legendary Lisa Robinson. It was a hip show that played videos seldom if ever seen on MTV. They were known for crawling a brief factoid about the group or artist across the bottom of the screen, usually during the guitar solo.

Some of you may remember an even more "out there" USA network show from that era called "Night Flight". I don't know how you would even begin to describe that show. Maybe the Midnight Special meets Dr. Dimento meets the Twilight Zone? That was a long time ago.

Does anyone remember Radio 1990 or Night Flight?

Last edited:
That was from a program called "Radio 1990".

I remember that show from the early to mid 1980's on the then-fledging USA channel. The anchor was Kathryn Kinley and it featured interviews from "the Barbara Walters of music", legendary Lisa Robinson. It was a hip show that played videos seldom if ever seen on MTV.

Some of you may remember an even more "out there" USA network show from that era called "Night Flight". I don't know how you would even begin to describe that show. Maybe the Midnight Special meets Dr. Dimento meets the Twilight Zone? That was a long time ago.

Does anyone remember Radio 1990 or Night Flight?

Definitely remember Night Flight, but not Radio 1990.

Dearly love Sturgill ever since I was awakened by his performance on SNL. I had fallen asleep and this song jolted me awake. Still one of my favorite live music videos.....

Kinda reminds me of Gimme Some Loving by The Spencer Davis Band with the wunderkind Stevie Winwood.....

Hadn't heard this before and Sturgill Simpson is new to me. (Haven't watched SNL in decades, except for a few clips on Youtube.) The live rendition of 'Call To Arms' sounded good the first time through. Wandered through some of both the live and studio cuts. My impressions. This is a solid live act. Too bad the studio stuff doesn't hue closer to the live sound. Production on the studio stuff seemed to be all over the place. Different on different cuts and wildly different on different albums. Thought the slick studio treatment on the last album with everything isolated, booming, and pushed forward didn't do a lot for the songs. Seemed like a roots music band trying to be a pop band.

RIP to Ginger Baker, best known for his time in the band Cream and for being one of the most cantankerous people in the history of rock and roll. His issues with Cream bassist Jack Bruce made Roger Waters/David Gilmour looks like child's play. Baker claimed to the end that Cream was "just a jazz band with a guitarist playing nothing more than improvised blues" and displayed a fierce annoyance for anything associated with heavy metal as well as being credited for birthing it.

Well, like it or not, Cream was one of the most influential bands in the history of rock and roll. The first real power trio, first "supergroup", first significant psychedelic blues band. Bands influenced by Cream are almost too numerous to mention but I will highlight a few; Rush, Grand Funk Railroad, anything Janis Joplin was associated with, James Gang, Van Halen, possibly Zeppelin and Sabbath, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr., Butthole Surfers, the Melvins, any band with that concussive "bottom" to their sound led by the drums and bass.

So farewell to Ginger, who has probably already rekindled a dust-up or two with his former five years deceased band mate Jack Bruce. Now go ahead and crank up "Tales Of Brave Ulysses"!

Been touting Sturgill on this thread for a few years, his new album is quite the departure from his previous, but it boogies.

Been touting Sturgill on this thread for a few years, his new album is quite the departure from his previous, but it boogies.
I've actually paid for all of Simpson's records over the years which I never do, Sound & Fury is one of the top 10 albums ever written and I'm not kidding. I've listened start to finish probably 20 times since it came out, and it's definitely greater than the sum of it's parts. Really has to be taken in as one long piece.

That said, Make Art Not Friends manages to be the saddest song possible but at the same time crazy fun to listen to.

I've actually paid for all of Simpson's records over the years which I never do, Sound & Fury is one of the top 10 albums ever written and I'm not kidding. I've listened start to finish probably 20 times since it came out, and it's definitely greater than the sum of it's parts. Really has to be taken in as one long piece.

That said, Make Art Not Friends manages to be the saddest song possible but at the same time crazy fun to listen to.
Fry - mad respect for that take brotha. Sturgill Simpson will save us all.

RIP to Ginger Baker, best known for his time in the band Cream and for being one of the most cantankerous people in the history of rock and roll. His issues with Cream bassist Jack Bruce made Roger Waters/David Gilmour looks like child's play. Baker claimed to the end that Cream was "just a jazz band with a guitarist playing nothing more than improvised blues" and displayed a fierce annoyance for anything associated with heavy metal as well as being credited for birthing it.

Well, like it or not, Cream was one of the most influential bands in the history of rock and roll. The first real power trio, first "supergroup", first significant psychedelic blues band. Bands influenced by Cream are almost too numerous to mention but I will highlight a few; Rush, Grand Funk Railroad, anything Janis Joplin was associated with, James Gang, Van Halen, possibly Zeppelin and Sabbath, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr., Butthole Surfers, the Melvins, any band with that concussive "bottom" to their sound led by the drums and bass.

So farewell to Ginger, who has probably already rekindled a dust-up or two with his former five years deceased band mate Jack Bruce. Now go ahead and crank up "Tales Of Brave Ulysses"!

A lesson ... from Ginger Baker.

I would love to see Sturgill live. If he plays close by, I will attend. Maybe catch up with you and Fry at the time. That would be cool.....

Last edited:

I saw Cream play their first concert in America at Fillmore West way back then.The joint was jammed. All the SF musicians were there walking thru the crowd. Still have the poster.....

BG110_poc.jpg

God bless Ginger

:confused:

Latest posts