Music Thread

MTV turned me on to Dexys Midnight Runners

:cool:
Look closely and you will see that the drummer is no longer with the band in the nighttime street corner scene in the final chorus.

There was a good reason for that-Kevin Rowland canned him in mid-shoot.

This was confirmed years later when VH-1 had their show called "Pop-up Video."

If I'm flipping channels and come across that show, i am Shawshanked (slang for being sucked into an old program or movie and widely credited to "Shawshank Redemption.").

Jaws, Apollo 13 and Cast Away, among others have a similar effect.

Depeche Mode should get in, and deservedly so, because that door was opened with the Smith's and the Cure got in. I think the door is open for some of those European "mope rock" bands.

There has been a strong buzz for metal bands to start getting in. Once that barrier breaks down you're going to see about half a dozen get scooped up pretty quick. How does def Def Leppard get in when they started out equal parts UFO and Thin Lizzy, and both of them are on the outside looking in.

I considered Rundgren and I suppose you could put Todd in over Judas Priest. But I'm still voting for Motorhead. They are cited as an influence from everyone from Metallica to Black Flag to Bad Religion to Green Day. I think Ozzy as a solo artist deserves some serious consideration too. And I completely forgot J Geils Band, how are they not in there?

How is Todd Rundgren not in?!

How is Todd Rundgren not in?!
Same reason about a hundred others aren't in.

If you're looking for my opinion I concedeed in my post that he deserves to be in.

Wings isn't in there. How? They defined mainstream rock in most of the seventies better than the Eagles, who had no trouble getting in. Steve Miller, who had a difficult time getting in himself, and also defined seventies rock (way) better than the Eagles, trashed the Hall in his induction speech. Hell, Joe Walsh's James Gang was better than the Eagles.

I’m actually a lot more along these lines...

Zs5O3bG_d.jpg

If you're looking for my opinion I concedeed in my post that he deserves to be in.

Wings isn't in there. How? They defined mainstream rock in most of the seventies better than the Eagles, who had no trouble getting in. Steve Miller, who had a difficult time getting in himself, and also defined seventies rock (way) better than the Eagles, trashed the Hall in his induction speech. Hell, Joe Walsh's James Gang was better than the Eagles.

Wings doesn't need to be in, as long as McCartney & Beatles are in.

Eagles is--truly--"political".

Wings doesn't need to be in, as long as McCartney & Beatles are in.

Eagles is--truly--"political".
Eagles is--truly--"overrated".

Not to mention they influenced a slew of feeble Nashville "hat acts" from the nineties to today. From Travis Tritt to Jason Aldean. And people wonder why women in country are more successful then men right now. When you can start with Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Maren Morris, and RaeLynn Woodward you're holding a pretty strong hand. Carley Pearce, this newcomer Ingrid Andress, there's more female talent coming.

Eagles is--truly--"overrated".

Not to mention they influenced a slew of feeble Nashville "hat acts" from the nineties to today. From Travis Tritt to Jason Aldean. And people wonder why women in country are more successful then men right now. When you can start with Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Maren Morris, and RaeLynn Woodward you're holding a pretty strong hand. Carley Pearce, this newcomer Ingrid Andress, there's more female talent coming.

Definitely overrated, but they "sold" a lot of records (apparently).

One of my favorite Steve Miller songs

Not an original but well done rock and roll

Another nice song by The Steve Miller Band from the Revolution Movie

I saw him at Dubuque's America's River festival in June.

Better late than never. He's still got it!

The Eagles have long been my favorite whipping boy. In addition to most of their early albums striking up some goofy mythic American West outlaw pose, i found the smugness of Don Henley and Glenn Frey(RIP) to be unbearable. They started out, in my opinion, attempting to duplicate what CCR had done, which was foolish and unwise. They did have some good songs (Already Gone, One Of These Nights) on those early albums but you had to dig through a lot of fodder to get to them. They made a major upgrade when they jettisoned lounge singer Randy Meisner, who even Glen Frey despised, and brought in Joe Walsh. This led to their two best albums, Hotel California and The Long Run. Fairly or not, those albums were immediately compared to Fleetwood Mac's Rumors and Tusk. Not! (for the Eagles anyway) By that time decadence had run rampant through the band and they splintered off into absolutely laughable solo careers, with Henley at least able stir up some social and political significance with his lyrics. Not surprisingly, Joe Walsh had the catchiest post Eagles singles. Much catchier anyway, than the legions of Eagles influenced country acts that followed.

Last edited:
Another nice song by The Steve Miller Band from the Revolution Movie

Steve spent some of his formative years in the Madison Wisconsin music scene, before migrating to the very musically fertile (in the mid sixties) bay area.

He also collaborated with a young Boz Scaggs from time to time. I found out just recently that when Boz Scaggs recorded "Silk Degrees" he used several members of Toto as his backing band. That's Jeff Porcaro's drum beat on "Lido Shuffle" (a fantastic song) and bassist David Hungate and keyboard player David Paich also contributed.

I should have known. Future members of Toto were as ubiquitous as shag carpet and lava lamps in studio sessions in the seventies.