Music Thread

They definitely had a nice run. It's rare to see a mega-band replace its lead singer and maintain that momentum (AC/DC comes to mind).

In VH's case, a little luck was involved. Eddie wasn't the easiest guy to work with and his worsening alcoholism and mood swings just made it worse. If Sammy hadn't taken the job pretty much on a whim, they probably would have had a difficult time finding anyone of quality willing to put up with it.

To this day, I still think Van Halen would have gone down as one of the all-time greats if Eddie had stayed reasonably sober and stuck with lead guitar instead of obsessing with the keyboards and synthesizer.

They were my first concert. On their debut tour, I saw them at the 5-Flags Center in Dubuque. I think it was '79.
Van Halen made the change at the mic absolutely at the pinnacle of their career. AC/DC, in different circumstances, was near their pinnacle. Pink Floyd was early in their run, you can't quite say they were just getting started. Genesis was not yet at their commercial peak but may have been at their artistic peak. I preferred Dio era in Black Sabbath to Ozzy's era in high school but learned to love Ozzy shortly thereafter and forever onwards.

Other formidable but not quite mega-bands would include Journey, Kansas, and Iron Maiden. And you could argue that Kansas wasn't the same after Steve Walsh.

Don't miss Scorpions you tube videos when Michael Schenker guest stars. Guitar power personified. Uli Roth was another excellent guitarist on their mid seventies albums. Some Scorpions fans prefer the Roth era albums to their more popular and famous stuff from the eighties and nineties. Kind of like how some people prefer Fleetwood Mac's early lineups.

Someone posted "Green Grass and High Tides" a while ago and I completely forgot about it. Green was somewhat similar to "Freebird" especially in arrangement if not quite music. "Sundown" was a classic too

We lost Hughie Thomasson a while ago and it was a huge loss. Criminally underrated band. Sounded like they were from the hills but they were from Florida, where there aren't too many hills. They're version of "Ghost Riders" is as good as anyone's

Any time you get cellos involved, it's fun ...

Jeff collaborated with The Move's Roy Wood early in his career which added a funky kick to ELO's classical sound. To this day "Do Ya" (want my love) is my favorite ELO and that was a Wood collaboration. Lynne started to go roots rock around 1980, foreshadowing the Traveling Wilburys, Tom Petty's solo work, and a whole bunch of rootsy early to mid nineties bands too numerous to mention (Counting Crow's, Blues Traveler, Gin Blossoms, etc.)

Jeff collaborated with The Move's Roy Wood early in his career which added a funky kick to ELO's classical sound. To this day "Do Ya" (want my love) is my favorite ELO and that was a Wood collaboration. Lynne started to go roots rock around 1980, foreshadowing the Traveling Wilburys, Tom Petty's solo work, and a whole bunch of rootsy early to mid nineties bands too numerous to mention (Counting Crow's, Blues Traveler, Gin Blossoms, etc.)
Right now, ELO is the one band that I sincerely hope and pray does one last epic tour. Lynne doesn't really care for touring, but they have an absolutely amazing live show. I'm not a big concert goer, but I'd go out of my way to attend if it comes about. I just love their stuff.

Gotta admit, though, I never found the Wilbury collaboration all that successful. Individually, the members are great, but the results as a group were just "meh" for me.

Right now, ELO is the one band that I sincerely hope and pray does one last epic tour. Lynne doesn't really care for touring, but they have an absolutely amazing live show. I'm not a big concert goer, but I'd go out of my way to attend if it comes about. I just love their stuff.

Gotta admit, though, I never found the Wilbury collaboration all that successful. Individually, the members are great, but the results as a group were just "meh" for me.

ELO is at the Rosemount Horizon on Wednesday, Aug 15 this year

https://jefflynneselo.com/jeff-lynnes-elo-announces-2018-u-s-tour/

As is the case with most "supergroups". You mentioned a while back. Every great band needs a John Paul Jones type in it. The secret weapon type effect.

Eric Clapton - Derek & The Dominoes - Live

It's Too Late / Matchbox

Bell Bottom Blues

Why Does Love Gotta Be So Sad

Gotta Be Better In A Little While

Derek & The Dominoes - 1970 Fillmore East - Full Concert

They really cleaned this up using modern techniques. Remarkable sounding.

Last edited:

Latest posts