Music Thread

Sedaka paired up with Elton John on this one. Catchy and simple, I remembered listening to the 45 a lot back in the day and still really enjoy it.
Elton still cites Neil as a major influence. From 1972-1975 Elton couldn't miss. Even his duets with Neil, John Lennon and Kiki Dee went #1 as well as his Beatles and Who covers.

I have mixed feelings about Sammy. Some of his stuff is pretty borderline, but, I always liked this tune as a solo artist, though, and also the second is my favorite with Van Halen.
Sammy could sing, however. And when Dave's shtick became tiresome and Eddie was ready to outgrow it, Sammy was the man for the job. He should have been the man for 1984 which was Dave's, if not the bands, weakest effort. Dave was more suited to II and Diver Down but even there he needed plenty of vocal help from Michael Anthony. My favorite Roth albums like Women and Children First and Fair Warning were better suited for the direction Eddie wanted to go than Dave. Truth be told, they had a nice run with both vocalists.

EDIT: I was not implying that 1984 was a weak effort for the band. It's actually one of their best. It was weak from the terms of Dave's singing and in retrospect that would have been a good time to being Sammy in.

Last edited:
They definitely had a nice run. It's rare to see a mega-band replace its lead singer and maintain that momentum (AC/DC comes to mind).

In VH's case, a little luck was involved. Eddie wasn't the easiest guy to work with and his worsening alcoholism and mood swings just made it worse. If Sammy hadn't taken the job pretty much on a whim, they probably would have had a difficult time finding anyone of quality willing to put up with it.

To this day, I still think Van Halen would have gone down as one of the all-time greats if Eddie had stayed reasonably sober and stuck with lead guitar instead of obsessing with the keyboards and synthesizer.

They were my first concert. On their debut tour, I saw them at the 5-Flags Center in Dubuque. I think it was '79.

They definitely had a nice run. It's rare to see a mega-band replace its lead singer and maintain that momentum (AC/DC comes to mind).

In VH's case, a little luck was involved. Eddie wasn't the easiest guy to work with and his worsening alcoholism and mood swings just made it worse. If Sammy hadn't taken the job pretty much on a whim, they probably would have had a difficult time finding anyone of quality willing to put up with it.

To this day, I still think Van Halen would have gone down as one of the all-time greats if Eddie had stayed reasonably sober and stuck with lead guitar instead of obsessing with the keyboards and synthesizer.

They were my first concert. On their debut tour, I saw them at the 5-Flags Center in Dubuque. I think it was '79.
That was one of the first concerts in what was then a brand new building. UFO, with AC/DC opening, was the first. The first one I saw there was Judas Priest, with Def Leppard opening. Rush, Kiss and Scorpions were soon after.

Sammy is 70 and still rocking (this is from late 2017) ... I hope I am half as energetic at that age. Funny intro with Jason Bonham (yes, you know whose kid).

More old rockers ... here's a couple of my favorite not so well know tracks from the Steve Miller Band ... good blues riffs here.

Latest posts