Music Thread

Now these guys I can never get enough of. I have everything they ever did (and the only other band I can say that about is the Doobie Brothers).

I really really like this video as it shows the essence of their sound through actions. Orr taking center stage and owning it; Ocasek (all 6' 4" of him) hovering around the stage; Easton playing the perfect foil to Orr and all-important Hawkes making the whole thing work on the keyboards.

They perfected synthesizer rock (along with Boston) and crafted a very unique sound. Punk? Sure. Rock? Undoubtedly. American? Absolutely....although I had frat brothers vehemently try to tell me they were British. Music you could light a bowl/crack open a 40 to? Often!
You would think those songs were so simple, but they weren't. Those guys were excellent musicians. There are deep tracks on Candy O and Panorama and Shake It Up that are epic. And they had a unique sound that was never duplicated. And their decision to leave the bass position vacant in honor of Ben in their later years was pure class. Anyone aware of any Cars tribute bands out there?

I have three albums where I also own the cassette and the CD. One is Styx Pieces of Eight. The other two are by the Cars. That's a good indicator that their music has withstood the test of time.

Last edited:
Once again, you've outdone yourself Mr. Northside! Well done.

I've never been much of a Springsteen fan and never bought any of his albums. His flamboyance aside, he screeches when he attempts to sing and it showed up in my video.

Same with Hendrix....just never got the vibe.

To quote a line from Peter O'Toole "I'm not an actor. I'm a movie star." ;)

Not a Springstein fan either. :)

Just a mention of Hendrix reminds me of this video ... he can't remember the words to All Along the Watchtower, so he apologizes, and then plays this ... epic.

And, in one of the first cases of identity fraud ever ...

I didn't realize that Seger and the late Glen Frey of the Eagles were close friends. Then I read where Frey is a Michigan native. And Seger is still taking his death hard. And it's opened Seger's eyes to his own impending mortality. We just lost Tom Petty. I am NOT looking forward to losing the Fogertys and Segers and Springsteens and Mellancamps and Jeff Lynnes and Billy Joel's of the world.

I didn't realize that Seger and the late Glen Frey of the Eagles were close friends. Then I read where Frey is a Michigan native. And Seger is still taking his death hard. And it's opened Seger's eyes to his own impending mortality. We just lost Tom Petty. I am NOT looking forward to losing the Fogertys and Segers and Springsteens and Mellancamps and Jeff Lynnes and Billy Joel's of the world.

Now these guys I can never get enough of. I have everything they ever did (and the only other band I can say that about is the Doobie Brothers).

I really really like this video as it shows the essence of their sound through actions. Orr taking center stage and owning it; Ocasek (all 6' 4" of him) hovering around the stage; Easton playing the perfect foil to Orr and all-important Hawkes making the whole thing work on the keyboards.

They perfected synthesizer rock (along with Boston) and crafted a very unique sound. Punk? Sure. Rock? Undoubtedly. American? Absolutely....although I had frat brothers vehemently try to tell me they were British. Music you could light a bowl/crack open a 40 to? Often!
Did you realize that a lot of Boston's synthesizer sounds were actually guitars? Tom Scholz would have to explain how he did it because I sure can't. He had a master's degree in mechanical engineering (from MIT no less) and famously worked his Boston duties around his inventions working for Kodak and his own Scholz Research and Development. Bands that did use synthesizers in the Cars' era would include Devo, Suicide, Rush, ELO, Yes, and Gary Numan, among others.

I find it funny That your frat brothers thought they were a British band. They came out of the same Boston scene that spawned Boston itself, and Billy Squier, Aerosmith and J Geils before them and Dinosaur Jr and the Pixies well after them.

Last edited:
Did you realize that a lot of Boston's synthesizer sounds were actually guitars? Tom Scholz would have to explain how he did it because I sure can't. He had a master's degree in mechanical engineering (from MIT no less) and famously worked his Boston duties around his inventions working for Kodak and his own Scholz Research and Development. Bands that did use synthesizers in the Cars' era would include Devo, Suicide, Rush, ELO, Yes, and Gary Numan, among others.

I find it funny That your frat brothers thought they were a British band. They came out of the same Boston scene that spawned Boston itself, and Billy Squier, Aerosmith and J Geils before them and Dinosaur Jr and the Pixies well after them.

Couple other Boston Bands

The Real Kids

The Modern Lovers

Latest posts