Music Thread

Springsteen was at the absolute Apex of his career in 1984-85. The most famous rock star in the world.

Let's talk about the Boss for a minute. He was inspired by equal parts Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Roy Orbison. When he got started, the business wanted to pigeonhole him as a member of the burgeoning early seventies singer-songwriter movement because the biz was still trying to get their heads around the Beatles breakup and, frankly, didn't know which direction to go. (Like we talked about with Peter Frampton, if they knew what was about to happen with the baby boomer phenomenon and millions of boomers about to reach the 16-24 age demographic, they would have known how to market music better, but this was 1972).

Back to Bruce, he wanted to use his full band for his "Greetings" debut. The record company balked. They wanted more songs like "The Angel" and "Mary Queen of Arkansas". They basically wanted Nebraska right off the bat. Bruce had to fight like hell to get a truncated version of his band to make the modestly rocking songs that did make the album and became more famous for being covered by Greg Kihn and Manfred Mann. But he was still Bruce. Some of his career highlights are on those first two records-"Lost in The Flood" "Incident on 57th Street" etc.

Springsteen is one of those rare talents who can rock a football stadium one night and put on just as stunning a show the next while playing a Greenwich Village coffee house in front of eighty people. He overcame managers who didn't know how to harness his talent, former managers who tried to hold him up in litigation and stall his career, FM radio not playing his hits west of I-95, lables trying to rush him in the studio, hacks trying to play partially completed songs on the radio (he relented and let Patti Smith finish "Because The Night"). Before The River and "Hungry Heart" other artists like the Pointer Sisters ("Fire") were making his songs more famous than he was.

No way would Springsteen make it if he got started today. The business would drop him and move on to something else. It's a shame that there are Springsteens out there today trapped in small clubs and coffee shops with little or no hope of getting their big break.

Saw him in Ames in 1981. Frankly, his band is what made the show. But, the guys IS a hell of a showman and music personality. Musical "genius"? I'd say, not really. Musical superstar? Absolutely.

Longevity-wise, he's right behind the likes of Plant, Jagger, and Daltrey, and a little further behind Dylan. That's pretty damn rare company (I won't count any former Beatle, given that no single member could be called the "frontman"). Yes, Daltrey, Plant and Jagger were often upstaged by the musicians backing them (especially the first two guys), but take any of them out of those groups and who the hell knows what may have happened? Same with Springsteen. No other name could have led "the E Street Band".

Saw him in Ames in 1981. Frankly, his band is what made the show. But, the guys IS a hell of a showman and music personality. Musical "genius"? I'd say, not really. Musical superstar? Absolutely.

Longevity-wise, he's right behind the likes of Plant, Jagger, and Daltrey, and a little further behind Dylan. That's pretty damn rare company (I won't count any former Beatle, given that no single member could be called the "frontman"). Yes, Daltrey, Plant and Jagger were often upstaged by the musicians backing them (especially the first two guys), but take any of them out of those groups and who the hell knows what may have happened? Same with Springsteen. No other name could have led "the E Street Band".
I was o sophomore in high school when you would went to that show and I remember local radio stations advertising it frequently. That definitely would have been The River era when Steve Van Zant was at his best.

You mention that E Street band and what musicians they were. In Bruce's club/theatre days they would frequently do twp shows a night, three to three and one half hours each, with the second show not ending until three or four in the morning.

That is a true story that Columbia originally wanted Bruce as a solo artist. He had to fight like hell to include his band and play rock and roll. He had the talent to do it any way he had to but I think it turned out pretty well for him. And us.

If you are interested ...

http://www.paramounttheatrecr.com/Events/20181021/401/-A-Paranormal-Evening-With-Alice-Cooper.aspx

Handler.ashx

Would have been a blast back in the day. I honestly haven't seen anything he has done since the early 90's, so I couldn't pass judgement.

The Monks - The 1965 demos

Monk Time

Space Age

Monk Hop

Pretty Suzanne - This is version I wanted

We Do Wie Du

Last edited:
The Monks

I'm Watching You -1967

He Went Down To The Sea - 1967

Boys Are Boys & There She Walks
(Recorded in 64, single released in 65, I think around 60 copies were pressed)

1965 along with the two 64 demos. Released in 2007. It's rather obvious that the tracks have been transferred and mixed using modern techniques. I do have to wonder what the original mix sounds like.

Last edited:
We're celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this summer. Anyone getting along in years can relate to this wonderful song.

Springsteen was at the absolute Apex of his career in 1984-85. The most famous rock star in the world.

Let's talk about the Boss for a minute. He was inspired by equal parts Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Roy Orbison. When he got started, the business wanted to pigeonhole him as a member of the burgeoning early seventies singer-songwriter movement because the biz was still trying to get their heads around the Beatles breakup and, frankly, didn't know which direction to go. (Like we talked about with Peter Frampton, if they knew what was about to happen with the baby boomer phenomenon and millions of boomers about to reach the 16-24 age demographic, they would have known how to market music better, but this was 1972).

Back to Bruce, he wanted to use his full band for his "Greetings" debut. The record company balked. They wanted more songs like "The Angel" and "Mary Queen of Arkansas". They basically wanted Nebraska right off the bat. Bruce had to fight like hell to get a truncated version of his band to make the modestly rocking songs that did make the album and became more famous for being covered by Greg Kihn and Manfred Mann. But he was still Bruce. Some of his career highlights are on those first two records-"Lost in The Flood" "Incident on 57th Street" etc.

Springsteen is one of those rare talents who can rock a football stadium one night and put on just as stunning a show the next while playing a Greenwich Village coffee house in front of eighty people. He overcame managers who didn't know how to harness his talent, former managers who tried to hold him up in litigation and stall his career, FM radio not playing his hits west of I-95, lables trying to rush him in the studio, hacks trying to play partially completed songs on the radio (he relented and let Patti Smith finish "Because The Night"). Before The River and "Hungry Heart" other artists like the Pointer Sisters ("Fire") were making his songs more famous than he was.

No way would Springsteen make it if he got started today. The business would drop him and move on to something else. It's a shame that there are Springsteens out there today trapped in small clubs and coffee shops with little or no hope of getting their big break.

Once again, you've outdone yourself Mr. Northside! Well done.

I've never been much of a Springsteen fan and never bought any of his albums. His flamboyance aside, he screeches when he attempts to sing and it showed up in my video.

Same with Hendrix....just never got the vibe.

To quote a line from Peter O'Toole "I'm not an actor. I'm a movie star." ;)

Now these guys I can never get enough of. I have everything they ever did (and the only other band I can say that about is the Doobie Brothers).

I really really like this video as it shows the essence of their sound through actions. Orr taking center stage and owning it; Ocasek (all 6' 4" of him) hovering around the stage; Easton playing the perfect foil to Orr and all-important Hawkes making the whole thing work on the keyboards.

They perfected synthesizer rock (along with Boston) and crafted a very unique sound. Punk? Sure. Rock? Undoubtedly. American? Absolutely....although I had frat brothers vehemently try to tell me they were British. Music you could light a bowl/crack open a 40 to? Often!

Last edited:
Once again, you've outdone yourself Mr. Northside! Well done.

I've never been much of a Springsteen fan and never bought any of his albums. His flamboyance aside, he screeches when he attempts to sing and it showed up in my video.

Same with Hendrix....just never got the vibe.

To quote a line from Peter O'Toole "I'm not an actor. I'm a movie star." ;)
Bruce has often been compared to John Steinbeck, passionate writers who spared no gory details as they told their stories and never hinted at the guarantee of a happy ending. Springsteen's characters sometimes meet the worst possible fates.

The E Street band, at least up through Born In The USA, simply brought it every night, especially in those epic live shows. They helped set the bar. Bands in the seventies didn't always bring it live. The technology wasn't as good, a bassist or drummer, or even guitarist or singer could be a weak link, and some bands simply didnt like tour. Bruce and the E Streeters in their prime helped change that.

For those who think Bruce screeches too much, don't be afraid to check his first two albums Greetings From Asbury Park and Wild Innocent E Street Shuffle. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks once again for the kind words. I've always kind of walked to the beat of my own drum when it came to liking music. Maybe that is why I enjoyed so much of it.

Latest posts