Music Thread

One of those great nostalgia graduation songs. Of course does not remind me of my graduation...but somehow of others'. hard to explain that....maybe you know what I mean

Another Tony Burrows appearance. He was an in-demand session vocalist who had one hit wonders for four or five bands. Remember Edison Lighthouse "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" and Brotherhood of Man "United We Stand"? Also White Plains "My Baby Loves Lovin'".

I have to be in the right mood for country, but when I do listen to it, it's always to older classic stuff, suIfch as Waylon, and here's a couple more of my favorite country performers:

If you're ever going to anoint the greatest singular recording artist of all time, Johnny Cash would get some consideration. As a singer, composer, musician, music businessman, live performer, versatility across genres, breadth of influence, rags to riches (several times over) real life story, all of it, he has it. He recorded a version of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt" on his deathbed that outdid Trent Reznor. His version of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" was right up there with Cornell's. One caveat: He lived into his seventies. Many worthy competitors to the throne lived barely a third as long. Maybe that's the way the music gods planned it.

Not sure how many of you have seen these guys. They're Youtubers that review songs, often the first time hearing them, with a focus mainly on hard rock but they will delve into other genres. I really enjoy their takes. Here's their reaction to "War Pigs."

One of my favorite tunes from the 90s. Talented but sad group that was destroyed by drugs.
Of all the Seattle grunge singers, Eddie Vedder and Srceaming Trees' Mark Lanegan are basically the only ones still with us. In the following order we have lost Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell. Mudhoney's Mark Arm is still with us but has cheated death himself a time or two. Other key losses, not grunge bands, were Doug Hopkins of the Gin Blossoms, Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon, Grant Hart of Husker Du and Karl Mueller of Soul Asylum.

Of all the Seattle grunge singers, Eddie Vedder and Srceaming Trees' Mark Lanegan are basically the only ones still with us. In the following order we have lost Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell. Mudhoney's Mark Arm is still with us but has cheated death himself a time or two. Other key losses, not grunge bands, were Doug Hopkins of the Gin Blossoms, Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon, Grant Hart of Husker Du and Karl Mueller of Soul Asylum.

Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone, barely got started before he was already dead.

Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone, barely got started before he was already dead.
Definitely cleared the decks for Cobain. MLB was very glam for a Seattle band. Wood onstage looked more like Ziggy Stardust than Neil Young. Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard (future Pearl Jam members) knew how to play the business end of the game. Who knows what direction that scene would have taken if we hadn't lost Wood in early 1990.

No mention of the Seattle scene would be complete without mentioning Temple of the Dog. Members of Mother Love Bone and Soundgarden got together for an Andrew Wood memorial. It was intended to be a simple tribute. It has probably aged better than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. "Say Hello To Heaven", "Reach Down", and "Call Me A Dog" are some of the most tear-jerking songs ever recorded. The highlight, of course, was Cornell trading vocals with then unknown Eddie Vedder in "Hunger Strike".

Loved nineties grunge, and the 1985-1990 American indie rock scene that inspired it. I understand that some of you, who's opinions I respect, find it spotty. But it got me through some tough times in my post college twenties so I'm sticking to my story.

No mention of the Seattle scene would be complete without mentioning Temple of the Dog. Members of Mother Love Bone and Soundgarden got together for an Andrew Wood memorial. It was intended to be a simple tribute. It has probably aged better than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. "Say Hello To Heaven", "Reach Down", and "Call Me A Dog" are some of the most tear-jerking songs ever recorded. The highlight, of course, was Cornell trading vocals with then unknown Eddie Vedder in "Hunger Strike".

Loved nineties grunge, and the 1985-1990 American indie rock scene that inspired it. I understand that some of you, who's opinions I respect, find it spotty. But it got me through some tough times in my post college twenties so I'm sticking to my story.

I was aware of grunge and listened to some of it in the early 90's, but was busy doing other things in life at the time. I was already familiar with the punk, new wave, post-punk, indie scene since the late 70's. To tell you the truth my reaction to Nirvana hitting it big was, "Oh, now their going to play the stuff to death." Like a lot of other things, I picked a lot of it up later in retrospect.

Eddie Vadder's cover of Chloe Dander and Crown of Thorns.
This appears to have been a one off performance or at least something that isn't part of their standard repertoire.

Latest posts