Music Thread

Saw them play before Rush @ McElroy Auditorium, oh gosh, when was that.....1976, or so....
Rush had two decent debut albums, then caved in to record company pressure and released "Caress of Steel", which the band believes was their worst album. It didn't sell or generate a hit single either, and they were in danger if being dropped. Neil Peart talked about going back to work at his father's farm implement dealership. On their next album, Neil Alex and Geddy decided that if they were going down, it was going to be on their terms. Their next album almost made their record company want to throw up. But Rush stuck to their guns. And golly gee the record sold and expanded their audience. The record, of course, was 2112 in it saved their career. And I don't think they've topped it since, just my opinion. And we were spared the horror of one of the world's greatest drummers repairing wheat combines for a living!

With this thread having devolved (evolved?) into the classic rock era, I'm curious how many posters have seen the movie, "Dazed and Confused."

Unfortunately, there are very few movies centered on the culture of the mid 70s through the early 80s, and, other than the ritual hazing stuff, that one nails it pretty darn well.

Cruising in muscle cars, keggers in the woods, rec center with video games, foosball and pool, etc.

The scene where they are going into the junior high dance to get one of their friends is like going back in time for me - slow dancing to "Love Hurts" with a disco ball overhead, and a side room with a black light for make-out sessions. Talk about flashbacks.

Some songs are just perfection.

I could listen to Rafferty's Baker Street over and over. It's just immaculate, from the impeccable voice, the sax, the percussion and the guitar work. It all just comes together in a flawless composition. He was a real talent, albeit a very troubled one.

Latest posts