Music Thread

No doubt.

It's just so well arranged. The subtle guitar work, stellar harmonization, and that organ that keeps the rhythm then sneaks into the front intermittently, all just make it work.

I've got the Woodstock documentary on my DVR.

Comical story about Woodstock: When the show was about to start, a good portion of the performers and equipment hadn't arrived yet due to the traffic jams, so they decided to start off with a primarily acoustic group instead of the planned sequence of acts. Legend has it that the group they found made its way to the stage, looked out and saw just under 1/2 million people, went into stage fright and left. The producers had to scramble, and turned to Richie Havens at the last second, who was more than happy to oblige.

Also, IIRC, Woodstock was Crosby, Stills and Nash's first live performance outside of small clubs. That had to be a bit intimidating to say the least...

I had always thought the Big Sur concert was before Woodstock but it was a month later.

Stephen Stills was easily the dominant talent of the trio. He wrote Suite Judy Blue Eyes and Wooden Ships for starters. Obviously they could all sing and they also had some memorable songs when Neil Young joined them.

Neil would often just show up, like hey let's do something, I've got some songs. Everyone was supposed to accommodate him. Than he would up and disappear whenever the spirit moved him. It used to piss Stills off to no end.

Neil would often just show up, like hey let's do something, I've got some songs. Everyone was supposed to accommodate him. Than he would up and disappear whenever the spirit moved him. It used to piss Stills off to no end.
Yep, Neil has always been infamous for that.

He often would show up literally minutes before a show and expect to join in, and, vice versa, would often not show up for shows in which he was scheduled to participate. It had to be maddening for everyone, but he was/is such a talent that they put up with it.

There have been rumors for years that Neil suffers from some kind of mild autism or similar disorder (Jim Morrison is rumored to likely have had what we now term Asperger's Syndrome as well.)

Stephen Stills was easily the dominant talent of the trio. He wrote Suite Judy Blue Eyes and Wooden Ships for starters. Obviously they could all sing and they also had some memorable songs when Neil Young joined them.
Stills definitely was the most talented song-writer, but don't underestimate Graham Nash. In many ways he was the musical "soul" of the group and also did most of the composing.

Absolutely the leading cause of the collapse of the supergroup is ego clashing.

Who knows how many potential supergroups never even made it to the recording studio.

Stills definitely was the most talented song-writer, but don't underestimate Graham Nash. In many ways he was the musical "soul" of the group and also did most of the composing.
Graham Nash was definitely the best singer in the group, and he brought pop elements from his Hollies days. He played the John Paul Jones role in the group and should definitely be respected.

There was a great documentary on YOutube about LA rock and it covered CSN, eagles, Poco, etc. I'll bet its somewhere in this thread... I remember the interview with Gram Nash who came from the Hollies - he was tired of doing songs that had no meaning...he talked about going from the hollies stuff to stuff like marakish express.

Not a huge fan, but the Go-Gos doc on Showtime is good. I like to watch music docs on artists and bands I may not listen to frequently.
They came out of LA's punk scene, but overhauled their image ever so slightly and subtly by giving Belinda Carlisle a little extra control to cater to MTV. It worked; their videos were on constantly from 1982-1984.

It was very similar to Pearl Jam ever so slightly shifting their image to look like grunge just in time for the early nineties Seattle boom. Tension between Carlisle and Jane Wiedlin as well as Charlotte Caffey's substance addictions, sunk the band pretty quickly. Wieldin was the primary songwriter and probably a better singer than Belinda. When Jane released a solo album and started collaborating with other groups, the rest of the band went ballistic

Justin Townes Earle passed at the age of 38. Cause of death was not given in the news releases, but given his long history of substance abuse it doesn't come as a surprise.

Latest posts