Music Thread

Know who else didn't learn to drive until well into middle age?

Ritchie Blackmore.

Even in Rainbow's video game parody/Highway Star update "Death Alley Driver", Blackmore sits in the back as the vehicle he is riding in pursues Joe Lynn Turner's motorcycle.

There's probably another reason Blackmore learned to drive later in life. He is one of the all time legendary beer consumers even by rock and roll standards.

Could have fooled me that this wasn't Lou Gramm singing this.

Could have fooled me that this wasn't Lou Gramm singing this.
It happens to all of us.

For decades i thought "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan was a Neil Young song.

But it wasn't sang by Donald Fagen or Walter Becker either. It was some guy named Pa!mer, can't even remember his first name, and he was on Steely Dan's first album or two only.

It happens to all of us.

For decades i thought "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan was a Neil Young song.

But it wasn't sang by Donald Fagen or Walter Becker either. It was some guy named Pa!mer, can't even remember his first name, and he was on Steely Dan's first album or two only.
Ahhh....Northside....I always look forward to your input!
I hope we can sit and have a beer sometime....you'd be an interesting person to get to know :)

Bump.... break from the covid and controversy

What service do you use to stream music. I no longer have a turn table or any semblance of a "stereo" or "hi fi"... now just wi-fi.

Amazon Music is nice, but no deep cuts.
Youtube music has great selection but there are ads

Don't think I posted this one yet - this is sang by my bands better half. If you like tele-twang, this song will appeal to you.
I had a similar Jazzmaster way back in the day but I sold it. I don't think I've ever seen a burst with the mint pickguard and black pickup covers, though. Is it a Squire? Couldn't tell with your tuner clipped where it's at.

I had a similar Jazzmaster way back in the day but I sold it. I don't think I've ever seen a burst with the mint pickguard and black pickup covers, though. Is it a Squire? Couldn't tell with your tuner clipped where it's at.

When I was younger I was not at all a gear snob, now that I am older I totally am... ya know cause I'm an adult and can afford things. My band has ridiculous expensive gear. We played the big concert at the Green Space in Arnold's Park last weekend opening for this Garth Brooks cover band. They brought a semi and loads of gear. We checked early and came back and the main guy (fake Garth) introduced himself and said "Holy shit, so you're the guy with all this expensive shit?" haha.

When I was younger I was not at all a gear snob, now that I am older I totally am... ya know cause I'm an adult and can afford things. My band has ridiculous expensive gear. We played the big concert at the Green Space in Arnold's Park last weekend opening for this Garth Brooks cover band. They brought a semi and loads of gear. We checked early and came back and the main guy (fake Garth) introduced himself and said "Holy shit, so you're the guy with all this expensive shit?" haha.
A guy I used to play with had a late seventies POS Jazzmaster from right before they quit making them. He was an electronics weirdo, took the original pickup selector out, and routed out the body and pickup guard to fit one of the ugly triple switches from a Jaguar. He wired the rear two switches as traditional selectors (could turn the pickups on/off independently or both on/off), but the front one he rigged up like a momentary killswitch, same idea as the arcade button on Buckethead's Les Paul. It sounded pretty cool, he got some really neat shit out of it. He'd use it with a Boss delay and do stuff that would blow your mind.

On the subject of killswitches, this same guy had a McCarty PRS that I'm sure cost him five grand. He put an momentary arcade button (I remember it was lime green glow in the dark) on it and wired it into the pickup selector to be either normally on or normally off. The selector was wired active with a 9V battery so it would work normally on. He played the bridge exclusively so that was the only live one. You couldn't choose the neck.

Basically it acted like the "Buckethead" switch where it killed the signal when you hit the button, but if you flipped the pickup selector down it killed the signal until you tapped the button. So up position when you tap it it cuts out, middle did nothing, down position tap the button it and it cuts in. I just remember wondering how anybody could tear up a PRS like that, but the dude was an electronics genius.

The "normally off" sounded cool as hell. He'd hammer on chord changes when it was dead and you didn't hear any sliding or pick attack. It sounded like a grand piano when he hit the button, which is essentially what it was I guess. No finger or pick noise.

Last edited:
That is a great tune for any occasion.

In the Woodstock documentary, that is the song that plays in the opening credits.
No doubt.

It's just so well arranged. The subtle guitar work, stellar harmonization, and that organ that keeps the rhythm then sneaks into the front intermittently, all just make it work.

I've got the Woodstock documentary on my DVR.

Comical story about Woodstock: When the show was about to start, a good portion of the performers and equipment hadn't arrived yet due to the traffic jams, so they decided to start off with a primarily acoustic group instead of the planned sequence of acts. Legend has it that the group they found made its way to the stage, looked out and saw just under 1/2 million people, went into stage fright and left. The producers had to scramble, and turned to Richie Havens at the last second, who was more than happy to oblige.

Also, IIRC, Woodstock was Crosby, Stills and Nash's first live performance outside of small clubs. That had to be a bit intimidating to say the least...

No doubt.

It's just so well arranged. The subtle guitar work, stellar harmonization, and that organ that keeps the rhythm then sneaks into the front intermittently, all just make it work.

I've got the Woodstock documentary on my DVR.

Comical story about Woodstock: When the show was about to start, a good portion of the performers and equipment hadn't arrived yet due to the traffic jams, so they decided to start off with a primarily acoustic group instead of the planned sequence of acts. Legend has it that the group they found made its way to the stage, looked out and saw just under 1/2 million people, went into stage fright and left. The producers had to scramble, and turned to Richie Havens at the last second, who was more than happy to oblige.

Also, IIRC, Woodstock was Crosby, Stills and Nash's first live performance outside of small clubs. That had to be a bit intimidating to say the least...
Some of the best harmonies in rock and roll before Queen came along, then Michael Stipe and Mike Mills of REM (who's harmonies were heavily influenced by CS & N)

Latest posts