Music Thread

Know who else didn't learn to drive until well into middle age?

Ritchie Blackmore.

Even in Rainbow's video game parody/Highway Star update "Death Alley Driver", Blackmore sits in the back as the vehicle he is riding in pursues Joe Lynn Turner's motorcycle.

There's probably another reason Blackmore learned to drive later in life. He is one of the all time legendary beer consumers even by rock and roll standards.
Blackmore is kind of an odd character all the way around. He's got some significant personality quirks, almost to the point of being clinically anti-social, and by all accounts can be next to impossible to work with. He's burned a lot of bridges over the years.

Blackmore is kind of an odd character all the way around. He's got some significant personality quirks, almost to the point of being clinically anti-social, and by all accounts can be next to impossible to work with. He's burned a lot of bridges over the years.
Being both egotistical and introverted an be a lethal combination.

It almost always leads to severe passive-agression, and making people around them "walk on eggshells."

Joe Lynn Turner was the weakest of Rainbow's three singers (Ronnie James Dio, Graham Bonnet), but his tenure coincided with the most commercially successful version of the band. He was intimidated by Blackmore's prickly personality from the start, and Ritchie himself had to pull Joe aside and tell him to be more assertive. But it wasn't easy. What made Blackmore a p!easant person one day could send him into a flying rage the next, or the dreaded silent treatment.

Some people in everyday life are married to people like Blackmore. I can't imagine what that must be like.

Interesting song and group. MM was South African and the Earth Band covered Springsteen's song four years after it was initially released. It went to #1 in Feb 77.....the year I graduated from high school.

And no, MM did not change the words to talk about feminine hygiene products.

Interesting song and group. MM was South African and the Earth Band covered Springsteen's song four years after it was initially released. It went to #1 in Feb 77.....the year I graduated from high school.

And no, MM did not change the words to talk about feminine hygiene products.

Manfred Mann did this Bob Dylan song also

Here's Bob in 1969

:cool:

Disagree. Love this version ... and the visuals in this video are great!

Elton's cover is enjoyable, and different. I just happen to enjoy the raw percussive power of the original more.

In 1974-1975 Elton was the most famous recording artist in the world and may have been the most famous person in the world period. Around that same time he also covered "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and despite the reggae touch (provided by John Lennon himself) I don't think it was as good as John's original in that case either.

Covers are touchy things. Some people made careers oit of improving original versions of songs, Joan Jett and Pat Benatar being two. But the buyer has to be aware. When a cover of Sgt. Pepper era Beatles remakes can out around 1978 it was declared the worst album release of all time by rock critics.

Elton's cover is enjoyable, and different. I just happen to enjoy the raw percussive power of the original more.

In 1974-1975 Elton was the most famous recording artist in the world and may have been the most famous person in the world period. Around that same time he also covered "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and despite the reggae touch (provided by John Lennon himself) I don't think it was as good as John's original in that case either.

Covers are touchy things. Some people made careers oit of improving original versions of songs, Joan Jett and Pat Benatar being two. But the buyer has to be aware. When a cover of Sgt. Pepper era Beatles remakes can out around 1978 it was declared the worst album release of all time by rock critics.

I enjoy some covers because of the different takes by the artists doing the cover. The video including the Who themselves makes me smile every time. And Lennon helping Elton with the Lucy remake is a nice touch. To each their own. That's what makes music the personal experience. :)

Changing subjects - Watched the Beatles doc 8 Days a Week (2016 film by Ron Howard on Hulu last night. Such good stuff. Seeing the Beatles as youngsters touring all over during the years 1963 through 1965/66 was amazing. Watching them changing from kids to young men by the end singing Don't Let Me Down on the roof of the studio was incredible.

I enjoy some covers because of the different takes by the artists doing the cover. The video including the Who themselves makes me smile every time. And Lennon helping Elton with the Lucy remake is a nice touch. To each their own. That's what makes music the personal experience. :)

Changing subjects - Watched the Beatles doc 8 Days a Week (2016 film by Ron Howard on Hulu last night. Such good stuff. Seeing the Beatles as youngsters touring all over during the years 1963 through 1965/66 was amazing. Watching them changing from kids to young men by the end singing Don't Let Me Down on the roof of the studio was incredible.

That was the diffefence between the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. The Beatles had a much faster growth curve and we're improving with each song, each album. But they were doing it at an unsustainable pace. They were doomed to crash and burn, even as good as hey we're, and no band crashed harder or burned hotter.

The Stones were built for long term success. They had one departure from their signature sound (Satanic Majesties Request) and had to navigate one speed bump (dumping Brian Jones when he got too weird) but other than that the milked a recording formula for five times as long as the Beatles and put out four decades of consistently high end music. And they still tour today, albeit not quite at the level of their prime but hey, they are still out there.

That was the diffefence between the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. The Beatles had a much faster growth curve and we're improving with each song, each album. But they were doing it at an unsustainable pace. They were doomed to crash and burn, even as good as hey we're, and no band crashed harder or burned hotter.

The Stones were built for long term success. They had one departure from their signature sound (Satanic Majesties Request) and had to navigate one speed bump (dumping Brian Jones when he got too weird) but other than that the milked a recording formula for five times as long as the Beatles and put out four decades of consistently high end music. And they still tour today, albeit not quite at the level of their prime but hey, they are still out there.

Listening to Beatles music now. Will love them forever. I think the short window and their catalog of music is even more impressive as the years go on. They made basically all of their original music, multiple movies, and toured incessantly for the 1st half of those 6-7 years from 1963 to 1970. There will never be another run like that.

I like the Stones, but they have not had the lasting affect on me as the Beatles have. I like a few of their songs, but I was not as impressed with them as musicians as I was with John, Paul, George and Ringo. And Paul and Ringo are still out there too! :) Just my taste.

Listening to Beatles music now. Will love them forever. I think the short window and their catalog of music is even more impressive as the years go on. They made basically all of their original music, multiple movies, and toured incessantly for the 1st half of those 6-7 years from 1963 to 1970. There will never be another run like that.

I like the Stones, but they have not had the lasting affect on me as the Beatles have. I like a few of their songs, but I was not as impressed with them as musicians as I was with John, Paul, George and Ringo. And Paul and Ringo are still out there too! :) Just my taste.
Its weird. Compared to the Stones the Beatles were better singers and songwriters, Led Zeppelin were better musicians, the Who were a better live band, and Pink Floyd were more theatrical. But the Stones were the most consistent and must be respected as such.

Husker Du comes closest to matching the Beatles for a six year run of constant touring, recording, live albums, and, for a while, topping themselves with each release. Even their last two studio albums, while falling short of their own standards, were still better than many bands at their peak. They crashed and burned almost as loudly as the Beatles, famously cancelling their last gig in Omaha after drummer Grant Hart was too strung out on heroin to stay awake and driving straight through the night from Columbia Missouri to their Twin Cities base. What happened after that depends on who's story you believe and it took many years for the band members to reconcile.

Ask any member of Three Dog Night about that! Hutton, Nells and Negron, despite twelve gold albums and three #1 charted songs, will probably never see the RR HOF because of it.

Ask any member of Three Dog Night about that! Hutton, Nells and Negron, despite twelve gold albums and three #1 charted songs, will probably never see the RR HOF because of it.
Well you can't ask Cory anymore because he has gone off to shambala but your point is well taken otherwise.

Latest posts