Music Thread

Wishbone_Ash_-_Argus.jpg

I think I found a group nobody's posted about yet. :)
Not sure what made me think about/research these guys but glad I did.

Powell and Turner featured a unique twin harmony guitar sound (patterned after Beck and Page).
WA opened for Deep Purple and had influences on Uriah Heep, Skynyrd, Halen, Thin Lizzy among others.
Argus peaked at #3 in the UK.

My older brother had the 73 concert dates album. I'm not particularly familiar with there studio catalog though.

This song reminds me of Fairport Convention.

My older brother had the 73 concert dates album. I'm not particularly familiar with there studio catalog though.

This song reminds me of Fairport Convention.
What made Fairport Convention stand out was the voice of Sandy Denny, who could sing harmony with Robert Plant and more than hold her own.

If Sandy had specialized in blues instead of folk she would have been Europe's version of Janis Joplin. Her voice was just as powerful. Predictably, Sandy died young and recklessly. She didn't OD, but could easily have gone out that way. She had severe alcohol issues as well.

What made Fairport Convention stand out was the voice of Sandy Denny, who could sing harmony with Robert Plant and more than hold her own.

If Sandy had specialized in blues instead of folk she would have been Europe's version of Janis Joplin. Her voice was just as powerful. Predictably, Sandy died young and recklessly. She didn't OD, but could easily have gone out that way. She had severe alcohol issues as well.

Sandy was great. I was thinking about the guitars though.

Sloth

A Sailor's Life

Richard Thompson played lead guitar on Fairport Convention the first few albums. He also had a classic album in 1991 called Rumor and Sigh which is very nice.....

:cool:

When Paul Westerberg is involved there is seldom a bad version.

Some bands sound better sloppier and drunker and The Replacements certainly qualified for that.

Well, some performances are better than others, just like some train wrecks are better than others. And the studio production on the Replacements last album was an utterly clueless abomination.

Well, some performances are better than others, just like some train wrecks are better than others. And the studio production on the Replacements last album was an utterly clueless abomination.
Their story could absolutely make a movie and it would be ten times better than the one about the scab football team that nicked their monicker.

Some things weren't meant to be. The Mats couldn't keep their roll going long enough to cash in on the early nineties alternative revival. Instead it was their brethren who grew up worshipping them who reaped the benefits. Guitarist Bob Stinson never found his way after being booted from the band and lost his battle with trying to make it in this world in 1995 at the age of thirty. Bands who carried their mantle to considerable commercial success included Soul Asylum, Goo Goo Dolls, Blink 182, Three Doors Down, The Offspring and many many others.

As I've posted on here a few times, I really like the "old" tunes when the original performer slows things down....acoustically performing the previously loud music. This is a good example of that.

Interesting thing about Bolan.

He never learned to drive because he thought it was too dangerous.... Then, he was killed in a car accident as a passenger.
Know who else didn't learn to drive until well into middle age?

Ritchie Blackmore.

Even in Rainbow's video game parody/Highway Star update "Death Alley Driver", Blackmore sits in the back as the vehicle he is riding in pursues Joe Lynn Turner's motorcycle.

There's probably another reason Blackmore learned to drive later in life. He is one of the all time legendary beer consumers even by rock and roll standards.

Latest posts