Music Thread

She just passed away recently. For many years I thought she was Emmanuel Beart, who appeared in several 1980's fluff movies, but it wasn't her.

The power of MTV. If Culture Club and Duran Duran could make themselves international superstars thanks to their videos, Robbie Dupree certainly could have. But he missed the MTV age.

I was partial to this Robbie DuPree song ... could have been a great MTV video. Here he is on the Midnight Special.

She just passed away recently. For many years I thought she was Emmanuel Beart, who appeared in several 1980's fluff movies, but it wasn't her.

The power of MTV. If Culture Club and Duran Duran could make themselves international superstars thanks to their videos, Robbie Dupree certainly could have. But he missed the MTV age.
Here's your girl: Karen Elaine Morton

Good to see you back Northside...thought you had COVID-abandoned us! :)
Nah, just an overstressed FedEx supervisor delivering on roads that deer didn't even know existed until eight or nine o'clock some nights.

It's actually not a bad way to ride out the crisis. You are socially very distanced, and the only thing you miss at home is the honey-do list.

I was partial to this Robbie DuPree song ... could have been a great MTV video. Here he is on the Midnight Special.

That looks like Tony Butler on bass. He played with everybody in the 1980's, most notably with the Pretenders on their Learning To Crawl album after we lost Pete Farndon.

That would have been a massive hit had it come out two years later.

Summer of 1980, just missed MTV. There's probably hundreds of other songs who met similar fates.

Tommy (867-5309-Jenny) Tutone on the other hand?

I have a few of his hits confused with Michael McDonald. My guess is that was intentional. A lot of the rest sounds a bit like late 70's Hall & Oats.

If anything Dupree might have had his breakout album a few years too late. I think he got caught up in the anti-RB backlash of the early 80's. Around about 1980-81 RB, singer songwriter, blues, & rock went their separate ways. Up to that point there had been a lot of cross over, but both the record industry and fans kind of segregated into their own categories.

I don't know what the dispute was with his label after the second album, but he kind of lost his way for quite a while after that.

I have a few of his hits confused with Michael McDonald. My guess is that was intentional. A lot of the rest sounds a bit like late 70's Hall & Oats.

If anything Dupree might have had his breakout album a few years too late. I think he got caught up in the anti-RB backlash of the early 80's. Around about 1980-81 RB, singer songwriter, blues, & rock went their separate ways. Up to that point there had been a lot of cross over, but both the record industry and fans kind of segregated into their own categories.

I don't know what the dispute was with his label after the second album, but he kind of lost his way for quite a while after that.
I was thinking McDonald as well, Doobies songs like "What A Fool Believes", stuff like that.

MTV definitely jump started Hall and Oates career after a couple years of floundering, plus they were able to blend Hall's soul with Oates' spacey funkwave. They had a four album run in the first half of the eighties where they were unstoppable. They just had to get past the late seventies confusion that you mentioned and find the right combination of chocolate and peanut butter for their Reese's bar!

A lot of seventies singer songwriters, in my opinion, could have rocked harder if they chose, (like "Mother Freedom" by Bread) and they would have had a receptive audience with the burgeoning baby boom population. And had the music business known that millions of boomers were about to reach the 16-24 age demographic they might have approached things differently. But the breakup of the Beatles and the unexpected early deaths of several rock icons were huge gut punches. Bottom line was that singer songwriters dominated 1970's am radio and most everything else was regulated to late night fm or album oriented r ok

Last edited:

maxresdefault.jpg

My favorite cut from my fave album of theirs.

Ian Gillan sang the parts of Jesus Christ on the 1970 "Jesus Christ Superstar" album. He was offered the lead as Jesus in the 1973 movie with the same name but declined, stating he was a singer, not an actor. That opened up the movie part to a one Ted Neeley.

Wishbone_Ash_-_Argus.jpg

I think I found a group nobody's posted about yet. :)
Not sure what made me think about/research these guys but glad I did.

Powell and Turner featured a unique twin harmony guitar sound (patterned after Beck and Page).
WA opened for Deep Purple and had influences on Uriah Heep, Skynyrd, Halen, Thin Lizzy among others.
Argus peaked at #3 in the UK.

Devo and their hit song "Peek-a-Boo" from the early 80's. A song with a great beat, but the video is kind of creepy. Don't watch it while on drugs, this song/video is a trip! Devo was a trend setting band back in the day.

Latest posts