Music Thread

Speaking of the Partridge Family, I thought this song by the Guess Who was the Partridge Family for several years. If you close your eyes, it's easy to envision Keith Partridge singing:

Closing eyes ...

4f7086d6feb391a77a328e22541841b6.gif

Speaking of the Partridge Family, I thought this song by the Guess Who was the Partridge Family for several years. If you close your eyes, it's easy to envision Keith Partridge singing:

You might be right, but to compare the two I would actually have to go back and listen to Partridge Family songs. I am afraid this is way too much to ask. My personal code of honor requires ritual seppuku before contemplating such an abominable act.

The melodies are similiar, but Burton Cummings had a pretty unmistakable voice. Even in the Guess Who's cheesier songs, like this one or "Clap For The Wolfman" his voice could turn more robust than David Cassidy ever imagined-in a hurry.

The melodies are similiar, but Burton Cummings had a pretty unmistakable voice. Even in the Guess Who's cheesier songs, like this one or "Clap For The Wolfman" his voice could turn more robust than David Cassidy ever imagined-in a hurry.
I totally agree...except for this particular tune. It's very easy to imagine that it's David Cassidy. I was totally fooled from the time I was about 10 until the mid teens. Obviously, not identical, but the voice inflections and melody are eerily similar.

Any of you guys have experience editing audio? I've started to enter into the voice over business and this is part of the territory. Nothing remotely as complex as multiple music tracks though. But I've gained a appreciation for this art. Learned a lot about acoustics, microphones and the chain of technology.

By the way, on Amazon Prime there is an outstanding documentary about the making of the album "So" by Peter Gabriel. Check it out.

I was, and still am, a big Billy Squier fan, this video not withstanding. Lots of Jimmy Page riffs on his first two records, as well as Queen and hip hop influences. " Lonely Is The Night" is a direct imitation of " Nobody's Fault But Mine". But there's nothing wrong with that. I think he does most of his touring around his east coast roots.

"Lonely Is the Night" is a great song. Anything else from Squier gives me the cringes...

I saw Cassidy at Disney/Epcot about eight years ago. A surprisingly good show, for all his bubble-gum history. A true performer. A shame how his last years transpired.

Any of you guys have experience editing audio? I've started to enter into the voice over business and this is part of the territory. Nothing remotely as complex as multiple music tracks though. But I've gained a appreciation for this art. Learned a lot about acoustics, microphones and the chain of technology.

By the way, on Amazon Prime there is an outstanding documentary about the making of the album "So" by Peter Gabriel. Check it out.
It became much easier when it became digital and non linear. The term "overdub" that Boston, Queen, and many others made famous in the 1970's and 80's, doesn't exist anymore. Because you don't have to do it.

But I remember. I majored in broadcasting at Iowa, graduated in 1989, then worked in the field for fourteen more years. I remember cutting up reel to reel audio tape, marking the cut spot with a grease pencil, splicing back together with hervic patches, then hiding the best razor blades under the cutting board so other students couldn't use them. I remember synching up cartridges and 3/4" Ampex tapes to do audio edits on those old RM-440 units. Multitrack editing, bring one source up, fading another one down. Threading those reel to reels and trying to make sure they didn't bypass the capstan. Those were the days, and any old school radio person has a million stories from those days.

Now with digital nonlinear systems, it's easier, quicker, more fun, and saves on the oxidation wear and tear on tapes. I got out of the field in 2003, just as MP3's and Facebook type technology were starting to be used. I'm sure the technology has taken another huge quantum leap in the last sixteen years.

Microphone placement is a huge part of a professional audio recording project, no doubt about it. And lots of experimentation. It has been rumored that, to get the drum sound for "When The Levee Breaks", the had Led Zeppelin's John Bonham positioned at the bottom of an old stone elevator shaft, almost like an Al Capone style liquor lift. And had him pound away.

Last edited:
It became much easier when it became digital and non linear. The term "overdub" that Boston, Queen, and many others made famous in the 1970's and 80's, doesn't exist anymore. Because you don't have to do it.

But I remember. I majored in broadcasting at Iowa, graduated in 1989, then worked in the field for fourteen more years. I remember cutting up reel to reel audio tape, marking the cut spot with a grease pencil, splicing back together with hervic patches, then hiding the best razor blades under the cutting board so other students couldn't use them. I remember synching up cartridges and 3/4" Ampex tapes to do audio edits on those old RM-440 units. Multitrack editing, bring one source up, fading another one down. Threading those reel to reels and trying to make sure they didn't bypass the capstan. Those were the days, and any old school radio person has a million stories from those days.

Now with digital nonlinear systems, it's easier, quicker, more fun, and saves on the oxidation wear and tear on tapes. I got out of the field in 2003, just as MP3's and Facebook type technology were starting to be used. I'm sure the technology has taken another huge quantum leap in the last sixteen years.

Microphone placement is a huge part of a professional audio recording project, no doubt about it. And lots of experimentation. It has been rumored that, to get the drum sound for "When The Levee Breaks", the had Led Zeppelin's John Bonham positioned at the bottom of an old stone elevator shaft, almost like an Al Capone style liquor lift. And had him pound away.

I spliced cassettes and 8 tracks with scotch tape. Always wonder what they really used to put tape together.

Like the Monkees Michael Nesmith, he had legitimate talent. And some of those songs still stand up today.

Nesmith went on to produce a show on Nickelodeon called "Pop Clips" we used to watch my freshman year at U of I. Fall 1980, before MTV, etc. Videos groups like M, Pearl Harbour and the Explosion, and a yet-tob-known Huey Lewis and the News, the Vapors's "Turning Japanese" and MiSex with "Computer Games" were introduced to us, as well as already-knowns like Kim Carnes, Genesis and few others featuring in.

Here's an example...

Nesmith went on to produce a show on Nickelodeon called "Pop Clips" we used to watch my freshman year at U of I. Fall 1980, before MTV, etc. Videos groups like M, Pearl Harbour and the Explosion, and a yet-tob-known Huey Lewis and the News, the Vapors's "Turning Japanese" and MiSex with "Computer Games" were introduced to us, as well as already-knowns like Kim Carnes, Genesis and few others featuring in.

Here's an example...

Nesmith probably produced and/or directed some of those videos. In fact, he one one of the first to suggest to TV executives that an all music channel might work.

MTV returned the favor around 1985-86 by rerunning the Monkees iconic TV series and resurrecting their career.

Nesmith probably produced and/or directed some of those videos. In fact, he one one of the first to suggest to TV executives that an all music channel might work.

MTV returned the favor around 1985-86 by rerunning the Monkees iconic TV series and resurrecting their career.

He definitely produced the show. In fact, onenof the videos was a cheesy offering of one of his solo songs. Very lame song and video, but his idea obviously took off.