Music Thread

Well, I was listening to Sirius XM and what I discovered is living proof that an old dog like myself can still learn new tricks, or more accurately can still be stumped. I heard the song "Dirty Work". For the life of me I've thought for decades that it was a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song. Even the harmonies sound like Neil, Stephen and Graham. Except that the song was done by Steely Dan. Unbelievable! Actually the lyrics should given it away. They had that acerbic edge that few could few could do like (RIP) Walter Becker. Anyway, carry on! I learned something new today.

Well, Lou Gramm definitely had all of Robert Plant's mannerisms down.

I mean, every single one of them.

Ian McDonald doing double duty on piano, then guitar in the last chorus.

Foriegner's first three albums were like holy writ during my middle school years.

Well, Lou Gramm definitely had all of Robert Plant's mannerisms down.

I mean, every single one of them.

Ian McDonald doing double duty on piano, then guitar in the last chorus.

Foriegner's first three albums were like holy writ during my middle school years.

He had the Robert Plant mannerisms down, but it you close your eyes the song sounds like the fucking Partridge Family. Sure its got a heavier sound, but I'm convinced it's a bouncy little tune about a god damn lolly pop. Sure it sounds like he wants revenge, but he really just wants to give her a lick. The damn song even has strings.

He had the Robert Plant mannerisms down, but it you close your eyes the song sounds like the fucking Partridge Family. Sure its got a heavier sound, but I'm convinced it's a bouncy little tune about a god damn lolly pop. Sure it sounds like he wants revenge, but he really just wants to give her a lick. The damn song even has strings.
,I always thought "Rock Me Tonite" by Billy Squier strongly resembled this song.

,I always thought "Rock Me Tonite" by Billy Squier strongly resembled this song.

Yup, same basic formula. Same voice. (A lot of these bands should have just hired RP to do a voice over.) It's a whole lot more gay though. I'm convinced the object of his desire is another guy.

Oh, here we go. Tell me this video isn't gay as hell.

Yup, same basic formula. Same voice. (A lot of these bands should have just hired RP to do a voice over.) It's a whole lot more gay though. I'm convinced the object of his desire is another guy.

Oh, here we go. Tell me this video isn't gay as hell.
Oh yeah!

In addition to sounding like "Cold As Ice" there are some strong, strong Freddy Mercury undertones running through this song and this video.

I mean, this wouldn't bat an eye now. But then? Different story. It killed a solid career.

Queen had a lot more going on musically and creatively. I would say "cold as ice" and "rock me tonight" stick pretty much to formula. It's not inherently bad, but you have to admit the two songs are pretty damn cheezy.

Actually, I think the dance is the only redeeming part of the video. What, did they spend their entire video budget on partying? At the last minute are like; "Oh, we've got a hit and need a video. Anybody got any ideas."

What, did they have a single camera, and film the whole thing in someone's badly lit apartment? The choreography is like; "OK, prance around a bit in your underwear, throwing your cloths off." It's like watching an old home video some 12 year old girls put together.

Queen had a lot more going on musically and creatively. I would say "cold as ice" and "rock me tonight" stick pretty much to formula. It's not inherently bad, but you have to admit the two songs are pretty damn cheezy.

Actually, I think the dance is the only redeeming part of the video. What, did they spend their entire video budget on partying? At the last minute are like; "Oh, we've got a hit and need a video. Anybody got any ideas."

What, did they have a single camera, and film the whole thing in someone's badly lit apartment? The choreography is like; "OK, prance around a bit in your underwear, throwing your cloths off." It's like watching an old home video some 12 year old girls put together.
I was, and still am, a big Billy Squier fan, this video not withstanding. Lots of Jimmy Page riffs on his first two records, as well as Queen and hip hop influences. " Lonely Is The Night" is a direct imitation of " Nobody's Fault But Mine". But there's nothing wrong with that. I think he does most of his touring around his east coast roots.

Speaking of the Partridge Family, I thought this song by the Guess Who was the Partridge Family for several years. If you close your eyes, it's easy to envision Keith Partridge singing: