More game day changes coming?

Alright it's time we step up....HN members in IC....send an email to the council saying that if they don't do something you will vote them out....and come on students!....

WTF is IC thinking? No wonder people move out....

I said last year that the restrictions that they were putting in place were likely the begining of the end for tailgating as we know it in something like 10 years. They explained last year that they are looking to "change the culture" of the game day experience and this is part of the culture change, they want less of a party or festival atmosphere, they want things more sober, quiter, duller. If someone ever tells you that they are looking to "change the culture" of anything that means that they plan to ******* kill it. The University of Iowa thinks that their brand in football is so strong that they can do anything they like with regards to the gameday experience - we'll see.

Mark it down - there will be no alcohol of any kind allowed on U of I property within 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Mark it down - there will be no alcohol of any kind allowed on U of I property within 2-3 years.

I dont think that will happen. Too many big money donors would be furious. We saw the University revise the changes they made last year after the first game because of how upset the fans that park in the lots close to the stadium were about them.

FTR i don't think this is going to happen. I would be shocked if there were no vendors on Melrose. They will come to some sort of agreement. No way do you see a restriction on alcohol.

I can understand wanting to curb the drinking. The drinking is a part of the atmosphere, but it's not THE atmosphere in regards to pre-game activities. But Melrose? THAT is something special.

I said last year that the restrictions that they were putting in place were likely the begining of the end for tailgating as we know it in something like 10 years. They explained last year that they are looking to "change the culture" of the game day experience and this is part of the culture change, they want less of a party or festival atmosphere, they want things more sober, quiter, duller. If someone ever tells you that they are looking to "change the culture" of anything that means that they plan to ******* kill it. The University of Iowa thinks that their brand in football is so strong that they can do anything they like with regards to the gameday experience - we'll see.

Yes, but then people revolted after the first game, and after that it was more or less back to normal. At the very least, there wasn't anywhere near the amount of complaining on here and in the media about the new policy.

I just can't see something like this actually passing. Surely the city leaders are not so blind as to take away something that, for many people, is part of the gameday experience. Some of my best memories as a kid are of walking up Melrose (from Finkbine) with my dad and seeing, hearing, and smelling everything that goes along with that walk.

To me, going to an Iowa football game is all day experience, and part of that experience is Melrose Ave.

That would be absolutely ridiculous if they move forward with this idea. The higher beings need to be told: "Don't fix what ain't broken." I imagine the people with a charge up their a** to make these changes are not football fans.

The vendors along Melrose are what make game day outside the stadium so festive. Did these so-called "residents" wake up one morning and say "Holy sh&t, would you like at that? There is a 70,000 seat college football stadium across the street."

Absolutely ridiculous if they move forward with this idea. Considering Iowa only has six or seven home games a year I don't think that is asking too much of these "residents" to chill out and enjoy the festivities. Ridiculous.

It is always curious why anyone suggests that "zoning" laws are being broken.

As an over-educated city planning grad... the whole point of laws are to be open and understand exceptions or exclusions.

A perfect example is what happens for 6 to 8 Saturdays on Melrose in IA City in the fall.

What has happened behind the scenes are people or businesses who haven't been able to cash in on the $100,000's that gets made.

The powers the be know these dollars will end up some where else.

Hmmm.. where else?

They bet it will be mostly in

First off, this would ruin my tradition of a Pork on a stick and an eggroll from Yolanda's before I head in which would suck.

2nd, this is just moronic because the amount of tax $$ they lose from these businesses from their sales would be huge and as some have mentioned, many of these businesses would go under meaning more lose jobs and less taxes coming in once again.

This is what the People's Republic of Iowa City wants. Look guys, I boycotted games last year and it cost me my season tickets when HappyChef pulled them, but those of you who folded in the face of encroaching fascism and still attended games last year like nothing was amiss absolutely deserve this. I'll be thinking of you proles while I'm crushing my "in the zone beer" and chomping on a dog from Mustard's Last Stand on my walk into Ryan Field next season.

Evanston >>>>>>>>> Iowa City

Wow. I am basically speechless. It was ridiculous when they kicked out the Magic Bus last year but this??? Well...they asked for it.

Melrose Neighborhood Association member quoted in the article:

Jean M Walker
335 Lucon Dr.
Iowa City, IA 52246
Phone: 319-337-5201

City Director quoted in the article:

Doug Boothroy
410 E. Washington St.
Iowa City, IA 52240
Phone: 319-356-5121

In my opinion these people are being sheltered from the opinions of the vast majority. That should change.

I understand them wanting to cut back drinking, I don't agree that they go about doing it in an effective way but i can understand why they would want to do something about it.

This is just stupid. The vendors are causing no harm and are probably helping out the economy of Iowa City. Not to mention this will kill the game day experience, which is a huge draw for people to visit Iowa city, and again bring in money.

our elected officials are idiots from the top down.

It's all about money. It's my opinion 80% of laws in this country are about bringing in money. The way they changed the drinking law was just extra fines they could put on people and bring in money.

The vendors may help the economy as a whole, but the city isn't making money directly. They're probably doing this so that the vendors fight it. Then they'll give it back, but make them pay huge fees to sell, or higher fees if they already do.

The vendors may help the economy as a whole, but the city isn't making money directly. They're probably doing this so that the vendors fight it. Then they'll give it back, but make them pay huge fees to sell, or higher fees if they already do.

this. If the vendors and property owners want to skirt the zoning laws, the city should at least get a cut.

Yes, but then people revolted after the first game, and after that it was more or less back to normal.

Exactly, a little less than normal and then next year a little less like it was the year before that and then a little less the next year etc. Its a gradual process, change a little let people get used to the change then change a little more then let them get used to that and so on.

It is always curious why anyone suggests that "zoning" laws are being broken.

As an over-educated city planning grad... the whole point of laws are to be open and understand exceptions or exclusions.

A perfect example is what happens for 6 to 8 Saturdays on Melrose in IA City in the fall.

What has happened behind the scenes are people or businesses who haven't been able to cash in on the $100,000's that gets made.

The powers the be know these dollars will end up some where else.

Hmmm.. where else?

They bet it will be mostly in Downtown I.C. and Coralville where they have no liability!

This is awesome...who in the hell is in charge over there and why do they hate having a great football gameday atmosphere so much? The brain trust at the University of Iowa is in some serious need of a freaking overhaul! I can just imagine how this went...

Nerd One: We tried "phase 1" last season, but the fans are still having a good time!

Nerd Two: I'm not going to stop until we give Kinnick that "Lickliter Era/Carver-Hawkeye Arena" vibe...this will take some "hardball"...

Nerd One: I think I just peed myself a little...