More game day changes coming?

"The memo stresses that the city is concerned with commercial vending, and that residents renting out parking spots in their unimproved yards would not be addressed because it was seen as “tailgating”, which is considered “informal” and non-commercial.
City officials are also considering a compromise that would include a permitting process for Melrose vendors with certain standards set. Both Markus and Mayor Matt Hayek have expressed interest in the permit idea. Councilor Susan Mimms says she would oppose banning the vendors.
The city council will discuss the issue at its work session Monday at 5:30pm at City Hall on East Washington Street."
-KCJJ
Also said that they sighted "Shish kabob sticks" as life-threatening hazards.

I love the people on here that say this isn't a partisan issue when it was introduced by a panel of city employees under the direction of progressive Director of Housing and Inspection Services, Doug Boothroy.

I hope the idiots on here that claim this has nothing to do with partisan politics continue to re-elect these clowns and their appointees and then ponder why these incremental fun-hating regulations keep popping up every year.

I love the people on here that say this isn't a partisan issue when it was introduced by a panel of city employees under the direction of progressive Director of Housing and Inspection Services, Doug Boothroy.

I hope the idiots on here that claim this has nothing to do with partisan politics continue to re-elect these clowns and their appointees and then ponder why these incremental fun-hating regulations keep popping up every year.

Go to the politics forum man....like I get a couple comments (I made one post) but....I mean it's not a full out partisan issue.
The simple fact of the matter is Iowa City has more liberal minded people so naturally everything will be more liberal....If you didn't know that by now I have no clue where you have been. Always has been always will.

So let's let it pass.

Last edited:
Sure, because I'm sure there are great number of free market thinkers in the city government bringing up the issue of regulating these vendors out of business :rolleyes:

“There are some serious life-safety issues that haven’t been regulated in the past,â€￾ said Doug Boothroy, the director of Housing and Inspection Services.

It's funny that you call me a moron when you are so ignorant of fact.

LOL this has nothing to do with party ideology.

"The memo stresses that the city is concerned with commercial vending, and that residents renting out parking spots in their unimproved yards would not be addressed because it was seen as “tailgatingâ€￾, which is considered “informalâ€￾ and non-commercial.
City officials are also considering a compromise that would include a permitting process for Melrose vendors with certain standards set. Both Markus and Mayor Matt Hayek have expressed interest in the permit idea. Councilor Susan Mimms says she would oppose banning the vendors.
The city council will discuss the issue at its work session Monday at 5:30pm at City Hall on East Washington Street."
-KCJJ

I have neither enough face nor enough palm for this comment.

LOL this has nothing to do with party ideology.

I'm not referring to party as in GOP or Dems. But it has everything to do with the ideologies of the nanny-state vs. the free market. The simple truth is the city gov't is making this an issue. The city gov't is discussing the issue of forcing permits/cutting off altogether.

The logic they are using is the very same logic used for shutting down private lemonade stands and girl scout cookie stands in the examples I cited. The housing director referred to the vendors as a health and safety issue without regulations.

I apologize for calling you an idiot. This shouldn't be personal and I appreciate the differing opinions.

Is there a phone number/person to call to let our opposition to messing with the Melrose atmosphere?

If it is a few "vocal" residents that are causing this problem... I am sure the Hawkeye Nation supporters can more than overcome them. :D

Good....you can't tell the vendors to go away and not address the parking.
Yes, have all 70,000 patrons to the game park in a large lot on the outskirts of town. There will be a checkpoint at the entrance to have your car searched. You may also be subject to random cavity search. Can only access this lot with enough time to make the public transportation to the game with only enough time to make the opening kickoff. Following the end of the game, YOU MUST be back on this public transportation to get back to your car. You will be allowed a set amount of time to vacate said lot. If you aren't out in this set time you will be arrested and beaten. YOU MUST where your dark green jacket and skull cap. YOU MUST march in an orderly fashion or you will be removed from the line and beaten. If you are in possession of alcohol you will be removed from the line and arrested and beaten. If you are caught within 500 ft. of the stadium after 30 minutes of the conclusion of the game, you will be arrested and beaten. This is all being done for your own good and the good of the children

Yes, have all 70,000 patrons to the game park in a large lot on the outskirts of town. There will be a checkpoint at the entrance to have your car searched. You may also be subject to random cavity search. Can only access this lot with enough time to make the public transportation to the game with only enough time to make the opening kickoff. Following the end of the game, YOU MUST be back on this public transportation to get back to your car. You will be allowed a set amount of time to vacate said lot. If you aren't out in this set time you will be arrested and beaten. YOU MUST where your dark green jacket and skull cap. YOU MUST march in an orderly fashion or you will be removed from the line and beaten. If you are in possession of alcohol you will be removed from the line and arrested and beaten. If you are caught within 500 ft. of the stadium after 30 minutes of the conclusion of the game, you will be arrested and beaten. This is all being done for your own good and the good of the children

Yippee, nothing says Iowa football like having TSA agents fondle our genitals before getting into the games. I hope the city gov't can put some of our taxpayer resources to good use and purchase some backscatter machines so they can view us naked and expose us to radiation before we get to cheer on the Hawks.

"The memo stresses that the city is concerned with commercial vending, and that residents renting out parking spots in their unimproved yards would not be addressed because it was seen as “tailgating”, which is considered “informal” and non-commercial.
-KCJJ

“Life-Threatening” shish kabob sticks and a “herd mentality” are among the reasons cited by the Melrose Neighborhood Association for recommending that vendors be banned from Melrose Avenue during Iowa home football games.
City officials also cited the actions of two specific vendors, The Stadium Club and Gameday Iowa, for supporting the ban.
A statement from the Melrose Neighborhood Association Executive Committee, headed by Jean Walker of Lucon Drive, argues that its “fragile neighborhood” is invaded by Iowa fans who show a “herd mentality” and disrespect for their property. The letter goes on to say that turkey bones and shish kabob sticks “pose a threat to the lives of neighborhood pets and wildlife”, and the sticks in particular are “a life-threatening hazard”. It also says it has heard instances of ambulances that were unable to reach the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in a timely fashion due to gameday congestion.
The Association suggests the UI allow vendors to set up on university property to help cut down on Melrose Avenue traffic.

Local Article Number 2 - KCJJ-AM

That is what I would call a load of Bull S*it. Apparently the stadium magically appeared overnight and this breaking news to Jean, what an idiot. Dont live near the stadium if you dont want your "Fragile" neighborhood "invaded" by football fans. Dumb Bi*ch.

It also says it has heard instances of ambulances transporting people with injuries from pointed sticks and turkey bones that were unable to reach the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in a timely fashion due to gameday congestion.
There...fixed it for ya

People like the lady described in the article amuse me. If you choose to live by stadium, expect to endure this behavior 6-7 times a year. It's like the people that move next to a golf course, then b!tch about golf balls landing in their yard.

IMO the city is using the association as cover in their money grab to the vendors. Next step will be gameday licenses and the city will get their money.

The association is spewing out their B.S. because they hate gameday PERIOD. Mostly the traffic. But they can't say that so they come up with every B.S. reason they can come up with.

If you don't like Iowa football then don't live next to the stadium. The stupidity of this baffles me. I don't like factories but I didn't buy a house next to one and then complain to the city about all the factory noises and smells.

This really puts a lot of pressure on Ferentz and Co. in my opinion. Have a spell like '05-07 and you start to see people say screw it and watch the games from their fancy HD big screens. I've already started hearing this from ticket holders a bit as it is.

Last edited:
People like the lady described in the article amuse me. If you choose to live by stadium, expect to endure this behavior 6-7 times a year. It's like the people that move next to a golf course, then b!tch about golf balls landing in their yard.

THIS!!!!!

This really puts a lot of pressure on Ferentz and Co. in my opinion. Have a spell like '06-08 and you start to see people say screw it and watch the games from their fancy HD big screens. I've already started hearing this from ticket holders a bit as it is.

We used to have a parking pass and tailgate before every game. I still have tickets, but now we grill and have beers at the house and get there right at game time. I think this is what they want. They are making gamedays barely worth the effort.

Latest posts