Miller: Staff Moves Elicit Emotional Responses...WHY?

the problem I have is in the move of Morgan to D-L makes no sense; he is a couple years from retirement, more ammunition for Dantonio and company to use against Iowa,
the coach won't be there in a year or two, and this after back to back years of getting higher ranked D-L recruits;
not to mention taking someone that has put more O-Line prospects in the NFL and moving him to the D-L, and these moves does nothing in getting fresh faces on the recruiting trail

Last edited:
I agree the "problem" has been more on the offense. If the OC is in house are the fans allowed to be more irate that the O is not moving in the right direction?

I'm kinda intrigued in having Erik Campbell get a shot if KF thinks he is the guy

Not trying to be negative but what does PP bring to the table? Is he a great recruiter? Is he a defensive genius that has been just waiting for his time?

I think the sentence that Jon states PP is loyal and hardworking and deserves this says it all. In a multi million dollar corporation there is zero room for loyalty at the top. It should be about the results and nothing else. With these high paying jobs that is sad but should be reality.

I wish you luck PP but unlike Jon I don't you should be handed anything.

Why isn't Parker coaching a position too? Aren't we going to have the same problem on special teams without hiring a full time special teams coach because our defensive coordinator doesn't coach a position?

Not thrilled with the choice and no disrespect to PP. I will continue to drink the KF kool aid knowing he cares more about winning and knows more about football than anyone on this board. So I will blindly follow where the good Captain leads!

I must be an idiot too. I have a key position to fill on my team and took some time to think about how to modify, restructure, determine how it would impact team dynamics and results...I've had it open since October and just now starting the final stages...and We're only hiring in the $120k range.

experience and responsibility has taught the value of being thoughtful and deliberate.

I dont know why Kirk took as long as he did, but I am willing to let the man have a press conference to talk about it before I go buy a new rope and look for a low hanging limb

LoL here again on this board the people that agree w KF r level headed and reasonable. But man if u don't you are an idiot. Someone that wanted another coach hired other than PP is a complete moron. Great analysis.

I think it’s reasonable to be a bit nervous about Phil Parkers lack of experience calling the defense. It would have been nice to get someone who has been there, and done that. The degree of pessimism I find to be unfounded though.

The whole anti Phil Parker sentiment came at the end of 2010 when Norm was out and Phil was calling plays. Never mind we were down 3-4 linebackers and had injuries to defensive backs by mid season after the Michigan game. As a result the coaches spent much of their time making sure the backup guys all had their basic coverage duties taken care of. With so many players out, circumstances dictated that they play a very vanilla soft zone. The whole situation with norm out and so many injuries put the defense back on it’s heals.

LoL here again on this board the people that agree w KF r level headed and reasonable. But man if u don't you are an idiot. Someone that wanted another coach hired other than PP is a complete moron. Great analysis.

I didn't say that the people that wanted another coach are idiots. I said people are idiots.

the problem I have is in the move of Morgan to D-L makes no sense; he is a couple years from retirement, more ammunition for Dantonio and company to use against Iowa,
the coach won't be there in a year or two, and this after back to back years of getting higher ranked D-L recruits;
not to mention taking someone that has put more O-Line prospects in the NFL and moving him to the D-L, and these moves does nothing in getting fresh faces on the recruiting trail

Nobody we could ever hire will do a better job of recruiting the state of Iowa than Morgan. Nobody.

There is nobody more trusted and respected to put in our high schools than Morgan. Nobody.

If he stayed at OL wouldn't dantonio have the same ammunition in recruiting? Moving to defense has no impact on his age that I'm aware of. Unless you advocate that coaches near retirement age are sent to pasture.

Morgan is a football coach through and through. He may retire in 1 year, he may retire in 10.

I don't have a problem with the move. He learned the intracasies of oline play, it will be even easier to adapt to the other side. He practiced against those guys everyday in practice in a variety of situations and watched countless hours of film on dline.

He also brings credibility, loyalty, and trust to the table. Guys will play for him. The last guy was a tool that guys played in spite of, or in fear of.

Coach Morgan is good people, and a helluva football coach. Keep him as long as they can.

I dont know why Kirk took as long as he did, but I am willing to let the man have a press conference to talk about it before I go buy a new rope and look for a low hanging limb

Jon - suicide is really not a reasonable outcome to a football coach being named.

People in 2010 when Norm was there the defense was pretty good.

When he was too sick to be there the defense was not good.

The D was bad when we had no DL. Coach K failed to recruit a single DL and ran a bunch off. D sucked cause we didn't have anyone to play the DL-. Actually I thought they did a very good job this year considering how little they had to work with in the DL and NO MLB.

People in 2010 when Norm was there the defense was pretty good.

When he was too sick to be there the defense was not good.

Norm missed the Iowa State game, which was game two...and pretty much was a non factor for the remainder of the year.

Jon - maybe somebody else has asked this question.

But is it possible that Kirk had interviewed and asked someone else about the D-Coordinators job (like the person you were speculating about through the weekend), waited until after the Super Bowl, and then this person decided to say 'no'?

I don't have a problem with Phil Parker, but I can't think of another reason why we would time this like that if this was all we were going to do.

Latest posts