Miller: Staff Moves Elicit Emotional Responses...WHY?

I don't understand why anyone thought the position would go to anyone but Phil Parker. The job was his the day Norm retired...if KF is one thing, he is loyal and his friendship overrides everything...

It took 2 months simply because he had to jump through the required university hoops of hiring regulations...

Iowa also generally allows 65-70 plays per game which isn't that egregious. And just for fun and a more tempo adjusted stat, Iowa is usually in the top 25 in yards allowed per play and that includes last year.

Iowa also is generally in the 25-30th range ranking wise when it comes to third down conversion percentage allowed. They have had bad years but it's not the Norm.

I think the illusion has been created that we allow a lot of third down conversions because we force a lot of third downs.

Last edited:
How many games has Iowa been a double digit favorite and lost since Tate to Halloway. It has been a while since I saw this so I may not be remembering properly. Wasn't it more then the rest of the Big 10 combined? Maybe the hires will turn out to be fine but I'm not going to put any stock in it until they prove they can win the games they are suppose to win.

I like the PP hire, I just get confused by all the position swtiching. Wilson to secondary, Reese to DL. I guess I don't understand how they can switch so easily and do a good job at different positions. I think it would be tough, but then again, I don't understand all the nuances to coaching. How does that all work? Now I think Morgan will do a fine job cause Kaz was nothing special, but I don't get the LB to secondary, why not hire a new secondary coach? Is woods going to be LB coach now?

I don't want to disparage the intelligence of people I disagree with, because I am not the smartest guy in the room guy.

But until someone comes up with a reason besides it was an internal hire, and it wasn't an outside hire, or he was part of the 2010 colossal disappointment of a season, I am forced to come to the following conclusion.

Those people are idiots.

While I am fine with the hire I have to admit I have reservations about it. I am not sold on Parker. I defend Kirk as much as anyone, and I'll state now that I still ultimately trust his decision, however to play devil's advocate a bit here it's not fair to conversely take all the success predicated under Norm and attribute that to Phil.

Ultimately, I am more optimistic than pessimistic about it. Iowa will be undergoing change on the offensive regime. So leaving continuity on the defensive side of things isn't necessarily bad.

So, in short, I don't think it's fair to attribute to much prior success to Phil. He will just now be dawning his own legacy as DC. As far as I am concerned everything up until now is credit to Norm. And just because he's an internal successor doesn't mean that will translate to success. We've seen this transition fail before. Despite being an internal hire Phil will need to be measured by his merits starting in 2012.

I am on board, but cautiously optimistic.

It is the class of people that populate most message boards and the lack of message board monitoring. It appears that some people spend most of their waking hours on boards waiting to pounce on someone and call them names. This site does nothing to stop name calling.

While I am fine with the hire I have to admit I have reservations about it. I am not sold on Parker. I defend Kirk as much as anyone, and I'll state now that I still ultimately trust his decision, however to play devil's advocate a bit here it's not fair to conversely take all the success predicated under Norm and attribute that to Phil.

Ultimately, I am more optimistic than pessimistic about it. Iowa will be undergoing change on the offensive regime. So leaving continuity on the defensive side of things isn't necessarily bad.

So, in short, I don't think it's fair to attribute to much prior success to Phil. He will just now be dawning his own legacy as DC. As far as I am concerned everything up until now is credit to Norm. And just because he's an internal successor doesn't mean that will translate to success. We've seen this transition fail before. Despite being an internal hire Phil will need to be measured by his merits starting in 2012.

I am on board, but cautiously optimistic.

That's a lot different than what some people are doing. Yelling psychotically that we need a change when we just hired someone from a very good defensive football squad to coach defense.

I don't understand why anyone thought the position would go to anyone but Phil Parker. The job was his the day Norm retired...if KF is one thing, he is loyal and his friendship overrides everything...

It took 2 months simply because he had to jump through the required university hoops of hiring regulations...

This...except I don't think the 2 months were due to university hoops...he could have announced the hire weeks ago. I would guess, however, that Parker was announced yesterday because if it didint' come out until the press conference, it likely would have caused a stir amoungst those in attendance (and not necessarily a positive one) and Kirk didn't want Parker to witness that in person. Kirk knew darn well this hire would tick off a large number of fans.

I knew Parker would be the man so I'm not surprised. I'm more concerned with what he does for OC. If he hires within I will not be happy.....our offense is stale, predicatable, and mediocre at best (the stats prove this). We need new blood with fresh ideas.

Sadly, I'm afraid Kirk will go the loyal, safe route.

Just because because they have the same last name doesn't mean they both can coach.

It's all about what it takes to maintain Kirks over the top conservative nature.

I don't hate the hire, but it doesn't excite me and is very strange that it took so long.

Norm's defense carried this program many years but that doesn't mean Phil is the right hire.

So Norm was done on 12/31/11 - it then took 5 weeks + 3 days to hire one of the 2 most important positions on the coaching staff. I work in the private sector filling positions often takes that long or longer. My question is how much due dillegence is required of Ferentz to fill that position and exactly how long SHOULD it have taken? Also is it worthwhile to rush hire someone who may be here for the next 10 years in order to satisfy the whims of a high school student who may or may not be here for the next 4 years?

Because how it all went down (time and duration). I agree with the stats that the problem is more on the offensive end. However, the bend, but don't break does have its shortcomings (lack of blitzing, linebackers covering receivers, stamina issues with staying on the field so long (part of that is due to the offense), etc).

I actually welcomed some change here. Not sure we will get that with ole status quo.

<<...linebackers covering receivers...>>

(Sigh) You DO realize, of course, that LBs covering receivers is not unique to IOWA, right? Or that it is common in numerous (if not majority of) defensive schemes?

:( The first 3rd and 6 where our corners stand and look at the wide outs while giving them a 10 yard cushion, and they put a slow linebacker on a 4.5 40 running back, that's the end of my checks to the athletic department.

Do you even understand what defensive schemes we run? And do you even have the slightest clue that LBs covering receivers, be they slot, WR, TE, RB or whatever, is common in most defensive schemes? And do you understand that bringing in 5/6 DBs just because a team runs a "spread" leaves a defense uber-vulnerable to a spread team with a semi-mobile QB, or that such a defensive set could mean success for just about ANY RB, assuming said RB has a pulse?

A team runs a base defense. That base defense doesn't change just because a team is pass-heavy or run-heavy, or spread or option. This isn't "All the Right Moves" with the 6-2 Stack Monster.

Statistics, as has been said, are for losers. No one cares where the defense has been ranked, or that JVB had one of the best statistical years ever for a QB at Iowa, or that Coker was second in the Big Ten in rushing. Those things, alone, don't matter. It's the number in the left hand column that matters.

Statistics, as has been said, are for losers. No one cares where the defense has been ranked, or that JVB had one of the best statistical years ever for a QB at Iowa, or that Coker was second in the Big Ten in rushing. Those things, alone, don't matter. It's the number in the left hand column that matters.

If only there weren't multiple factors involved with wins.

But seriously. This is a dumb post.

Maybe, just maybe, people are disappointed it took so long to promote within? I don't mind the Parker promotion, but I find it very odd that it took this long.

so what?why you care about the timing of the promotion? people come and go whenever they wants. taste of freedom!:D

Actually I believe he said one signed with us and the other he was referring to Curry.

It could have also played into Jaleel's uncertainty. Not to mention Kozan has stated he's waiting to see who we hire as OC so another long internal promotion could give Auburn & MICH time to make up loss ground.

Carry on though

Jaleel's uncertainty? I believe the only "public" displeasure he voiced dealt with the moronic comments of Iowa "fans". You know, people like you and me.

And if Kozan is really waiting on an OC announcement from us to make his decision, I say string him along. If, OTOH, it's his parents wanting him to go to Michigan and won't sign his LOI, I say leth THEM string him along.

I have read a lot of people say on here they are OK with the hire of PP as the DC and these people think he will probably do a good job. Then these people follow that up by saying that this hire still doesn't get the excitement flowing.
I am confused and a little dumbfounded. Isn't it the point to hire someone who will do a good job? Isn't it exciting to hire someone who we think will do a good job? Who cares if its an internal hire if the job gets done.

That's a lot different than what some people are doing. Yelling psychotically that we need a change when we just hired someone from a very good defensive football squad to coach defense.

I try to yell psychotically, but it just doesn't work.

Also, unlike them, I am not definitely anti-KF. In fact, quite opposite I think people who are wishing him to be gone are asking for something they ultimately wouldn't want.

However, I am open to change. I do like the proposition of moving on from KOK even though I wasn't out to hang him.

I think ultimately we are going to see internal hires on O side, in addition to the D side announcement, with a possible addition of Brian as the new OL coach, and I am fine with it all.

I trust Kirk, but in fairness to the discussion I just think it's fair to point out that over-homerizing the hiring of Phil Parker isn't any more fair than throwing him under the bus because of a perception we needed someone from the outside.

Latest posts