Miller: Staff Moves Elicit Emotional Responses...WHY?

I will give the benefit of the doubt and hold off judgement until after next fall, BUT putting their dues is NOT a reason to hire someone.

Do you even understand what defensive schemes we run? And do you even have the slightest clue that LBs covering receivers, be they slot, WR, TE, RB or whatever, is common in most defensive schemes? And do you understand that bringing in 5/6 DBs just because a team runs a "spread" leaves a defense uber-vulnerable to a spread team with a semi-mobile QB, or that such a defensive set could mean success for just about ANY RB, assuming said RB has a pulse?

A team runs a base defense. That base defense doesn't change just because a team is pass-heavy or run-heavy, or spread or option. This isn't "All the Right Moves" with the 6-2 Stack Monster.

I'll give you the Linebacker on the running back, that was probably more a comment about how slow our linebackers have been lately.

No comment about the 10 yard cushion on a 3rd and 5-8 situation?

:( The first 3rd and 6 where our corners stand and look at the wide outs while giving them a 10 yard cushion, and they put a slow linebacker on a 4.5 40 running back, that's the end of my checks to the athletic department.

Oh no not your money. These posts are the ones that make me laugh. I will save you some time, it happens everywhere and on almost every game.

Go ahead and hide your massive checkbook
. I will let the program know they won't be able to afford electricity next without you.

:( The first 3rd and 6 where our corners stand and look at the wide outs while giving them a 10 yard cushion, and they put a slow linebacker on a 4.5 40 running back, that's the end of my checks to the athletic department.
Let's say for the sake of argument, that we would have hired Mike Stoops instead. I have a feeling that we would hear somthing like the following:

"The next time we blitz on 3r and 6, and another WR beats our CB on a quick slant for a 50 yard TD, well that's the end of my checks to the athletic department"

Isn't it the point to hire someone who will do a good job? Isn't it exciting to hire someone who we think will do a good job? Who cares if its an internal hire if the job gets done.

See, this is the kind of BS, old school thinking that has infected KF and set this program back. What is the value of having a competent coach when you're trying to get on Sportscenter?

See, this is the kind of BS, old school thinking that has infected KF and set this program back. What is the value of having a competent coach when you're trying to get on Sportscenter?

Exactly, we should just accept that Kirk is using this Iowa gig to grease the skids to take the right NFL job when it opens up.

Meanwhile, he milks the university for lucrative long term incentive laden contracts so he can enjoy coaching his kids at the college level on our hard earned dime.

I firmly believe we are headed in the right direction. Kirk has his finger on the pulse of winning. It's just a matter of time. If I've noticed one thing in the last 6 years, it's we don't rebuild, we just reload.

Here's to hoping KOK has a student he's been able to mentor to take his place. Either way the good captain will find his man and this team will lead us back to glory. I look forward to regaining our title as Insight Bowl Champions.

People wonder why KF waited to make these announcements? Maybe because he the knew reaction. No need to have social media blowing up with negative messages during peak recruiting season.

I seriously doubt Ferentz cares what people think.

So Phil has had two offers in the last few years from BCS school's to be a DC, one being a top ten team but stayed? Interesting, I thought all of our coaches sucked so nobody wanted them.

So Phil has had two offers in the last few years from BCS school's to be a DC, one being a top ten team but stayed? Interesting, I thought all of our coaches sucked so nobody wanted them.

Well, keep in mind Hoffa, that the best hires come from outside of the program, no matter what program that is. New blood is always better than old blood.

At least other schools do the right thing and try to excite their fanbase with an outside hire.

Iowa also generally allows 65-70 plays per game which isn't that egregious. And just for fun and a more tempo adjusted stat, Iowa is usually in the top 25 in yards allowed per play and that includes last year.Iowa also is generally in the 25-30th range ranking wise when it comes to third down conversion percentage allowed. They have had bad years but it's not the Norm.I think the illusion has been created that we allow a lot of third down conversions because we force a lot of third downs.

I wonder where Iowa ranks on opponents plays per offensive possession

All I know is offensively we're in trouble without the mastermind ken o'keefe. He's where he belongs, at the top level, and I'm sure, just like Phil Parker, he's turned down numerous better offers but loyal to a fault, had the love of Iowa first. Wouldn't surprise me to if we heard that he'd had an offer from Urban Meyer. Just look at Joe Philbin. Even he wasn't talented enough to usurp O'keefe and he knew it. And who is his first hire in Miami? His mentor, Ken O'keefe.

I think Kirk could just promote a GA and absorb the play-calling himself, but as a mentor, he'd feel selfish about something like that.

Unfortunately that is not a stat I can find though it would be interesting to see. My assumption is that since teams are not getting many yards on average per play and they aren't converting on third on an incredibly high basis it wouldn't be as high as most would think.

I was hoping for a bigger name (Bradley or Hermann) but I can live with Parker. He's put in his dues and I trust Kirk's decision.

The timing was what bothered me a little. In the presser Kirk sounded like Parker wasn't his top choice. Perhaps the #1 target waited to say "no" and then Parker became the fallback.

Either way life will go on and so will Iowa football.

Unfortunately that is not a stat I can find though it would be interesting to see. My assumption is that since teams are not getting many yards on average per play and they aren't converting on third on an incredibly high basis it wouldn't be as high as most would think.

thanks for looking. it seems to me that we either get a 3 and out or they score on us. its like once they get that first 1st down they get rolling

I've never gotten P Parker for DC. He was the coach of the worst performing unit on defense - the secondary. Oh, wait, I guess you could say 2nd worst if you included defensive special teams.

What special skills does P Parker possess? He can take the most abuse from Ferentz? He's the most loyal?

It's Ferentz who makes the decisions on defense. IMO, that would be a good reason to scare away any up and coming coach.

Ferentz was waiting to fill defensive position coaches before naming DC.

BTW, does P Parker look like the NBA announcer, Jeff Van Gundy? He does to me.

I've never gotten P Parker for DC. He was the coach of the worst performing unit on defense - the secondary. Oh, wait, I guess you could say 2nd worst if you included defensive special teams.

What special skills does P Parker possess? He can take the most abuse from Ferentz? He's the most loyal?

It's Ferentz who makes the decisions on defense. IMO, that would be a good reason to scare away any up and coming coach.

Ferentz was waiting to fill defensive position coaches before naming DC.

BTW, does P Parker look like the NBA announcer, Jeff Van Gundy? He does to me.
I'd chalk up a lot of the secondary struggles because Iowa had weak o-line play for much of the season. Went the d-line struggles and can't pressure the QB, it makes the jobs of the secondary that harder.

The overall play out of the defensive line was the worst we have seen since 2000.

I'd chalk up a lot of the secondary struggles because Iowa had weak o-line play for much of the season. Went the d-line struggles and can't pressure the QB, it makes the jobs of the secondary that harder.

The overall play out of the defensive line was the worst we have seen since 2000.

How would you explain Iowa's low ranking in B1G pass defense for 2010?
Who'd we have on the DLine that year? Hum?

How would you explain Iowa's low pass defense ranking since the Ferentz era?

EDIT: yeah, I know, you're gonna say bend and break.
The same d that can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Last edited:
How would you explain Iowa's low ranking in B1G pass defense for 2010?
Who'd we have on the DLine that year? Hum?

How would you explain Iowa's low pass defense ranking since the Ferentz era?

EDIT: yeah, I know, you're gonna say bend and break.
The same d that can't get off the field on 3rd down.

I'm more concerned with W's and L's than stats.

I'm not super excited he was the choice, but I also won't get upset over it.

Not sure why anyone who doesn't like the decision, gets attacked by those know it all types but it really is ridiculous. I for one didn't like the change but it was because i like change and the defensive scheme is boring... very much like Licks basketball scheme. The scheme itself could win games but it just wasn't fun to watch. Does the fact that I think the scheme is boring and i would like something more fun to watch and for the kids maybe more fun to play make me a loser?

Latest posts