Miller: leave the Hubbard thing alone

Actually, I had the opposite opinion of Jon's piece. He put his personal life out there, opened his book a bit and showed people that everyone makes mistakes. For Jon to air some of that stuff had to take some balls.

ding ding ding. When this whole recruitment was taking place, and even with the djk thing. It really forced me to take a look in the mirror, but to share with hundreds of thousands of hawkeye fans = big balls.

In a way... his piece is not only supportive of Hubbard, but everybody out there who has gotten or is still waiting for their second chance.

you're beating it to death and putting yourself in the class with Dodd and some of the others that don't know when to quit; all of your surmizing is over the top. Leave the kid alone and let the thing work itself out. Hubbard doesn't need all your hypothetical situational chatter, nor does he need you reliving his crime daily; nor does he deserve the treatment. Come down off your perch and stop coming at this thing in the garb the Pharisees and Scribes left behind. Change your moniker for the site to 'grandmother of them all," because that's just what you sound like. Not interested in your response until you grow up.

It's been nice knowing ya! :D

We're just gonna have to get use to hearing about Hubbards past, just like everytime we had a TV game under Alford, we had to hear about what a great player he was,just like we've been hearing how young a team we are, this is just the tip of the iceberg......GET USE TO IT.....cause it aint going away!! I hope Anthony deals with it and it doesn't get to his head. good luck

It's going to get brought up every time by TV announcers and the road games are going to be brutal when it comes to student sections. If you think it's a dead horse now, just wait.

ding ding ding. When this whole recruitment was taking place, and even with the djk thing. It really forced me to take a look in the mirror, but to share with hundreds of thousands of hawkeye fans = big balls.

In a way... his piece is not only supportive of Hubbard, but everybody out there who has gotten or is still waiting for their second chance.

While I appreciate the sentiment from you and spank, it doesn't take big anythings.

I write and talk, in the genres I work in, 'anecdotally'. That's mostly my style. Each of us has a past, each of us has things in our past we are not proud of.

I don't have a problem relating my past to things like this, because it helps me with the evaluation process and be as fair as I can be..and maybe for some, it helps them to look at me and see 'This guy seems mostly adjusted and somewhat normal, and he was given a second chance' etc. As you put it, it forced you to look in the mirror...which was exactly the intent of the item.

I don't go out of my way to talk about my past, but I don't shy away from it when asked or if the storytelling opportunity comes along, like in this instance. Some folks elsewhere say I am always talking about it...When the situation and circumstance arises, I do. IMO this was one of those times where my life experiences helped relay or relate a story related to a Hawkeye story.

The reason I have no problem openly talking about my past in that area is I am not that person anymore..and I am hardly the only individual to have made bad choices that got him in a bad place (yes, it was my own doing, not the fault of another nor was I any victim), but am an example of the power of grace, which has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the heart of others and strength from above.

Anthony Hubbard's story could turn out to be pretty cool and the evidence we have before us from the last several years suggests he is on that redemptive road.

As for the folks that don't care for how I write or the devices I sometimes use, that's OK. I go into these items with my eyes wide open knowing that some are not going to care for it. No one is universally liked or loathed. However the OP in this particular thread missed the intent by a mile so much so that I highly doubt they read the item in its entirety, and certainly missed these sentences in the item:

"Until he actually does something to change that, I am choosing to give him and the Iowa coaching staff that brought him to Iowa, the benefit of the doubt, based upon his actions the past four years."

don't come to the site if your sick of something don't understand why ppl complain about trolls or w/e and it actually gets under their skin lol....don't go on the internet if articles bother you

Given the past 10 years of football and basketball off-field transgressions, I think the discussion of Hubbards past is not going away. Hawk fans care about their programs and are averse to anything that could shed a negative light.

That being said, the chatter about Hubbard's past will die off after a few weeks. Once BB starts I hope the conversation turns to his play and the progress our squad has made.

The last thing anyone wants is more poor-judgement stories about the players and decision makers at Iowa. Hawk fans have accepted Kirk Ferentz handling of drug dealing, credit card theft, shoplifting, sexual assault, .... mostly because he dealt with things swiftly and didn't usually allow them to happen a second time. Hawk fans never forgave Alford for letting sexual assault slide especially when the same individual exhibited the same violent tendancies at a later date.

Time will tell if the Hubbard risk pays off.

The sentiment of Jon's piece was well taken, but I also thought it was overkill. First off, way too longwinded. Second, the reactions I had been reading to Hubbard were positive overall and the sentiment Jon (over)expressed had already been said countless times by other posters. People have been much more critical of DJK's partying/drugs and unwilling to forgive him for that transgression, so maybe people should apply Jon's article to that situation instead. I, for one, am all for giving Hubbard a second chance and I feel good that he won't let himself down. But, as far as his reformation goes, what is this I read that he was charged with assault semi-recently but the charges were dropped?? He described it in the article I read as a "misunderstanding". Glad I haven't had any people "misunderstand" me and accidentally get charged with assault while minding my own business. Anyone know what happened there?

The sentiment of Jon's piece was well taken, but I also thought it was overkill. First off, way too longwinded. Second, the reactions I had been reading to Hubbard were positive overall and the sentiment Jon (over)expressed had already been said countless times by other posters. People have been much more critical of DJK's partying/drugs and unwilling to forgive him for that transgression, so maybe people should apply Jon's article to that situation instead. I, for one, am all for giving Hubbard a second chance and I feel good that he won't let himself down. But, as far as his reformation goes, what is this I read that he was charged with assault semi-recently but the charges were dropped?? He described it in the article I read as a "misunderstanding". Glad I haven't had any people "misunderstand" me and accidentally get charged with assault while minding my own business. Anyone know what happened there?
From what I have been told. Two ladies were fighting, he broke it up.

Amen,!! Leave the athlete alone,be thankfull he is committed to being a Hawk. Give the athlete a chance to redeem himself.

Actually, I had the opposite opinion of Jon's piece. He put his personal life out there, opened his book a bit and showed people that everyone makes mistakes. For Jon to air some of that stuff had to take some balls.

agreed, it takes guts to admit our failures and flaws, I for one admire Jon for giving his opinion on 2nd chances, and I'm glad the Hawks took hubbard but I'm not convinced he will stay out of trouble but I hope he does for his sake.

For those of you who are perfect please cast the first stone.

People make mistakes. Those who learn from them become better people.

Imagine what this world would be like if we were never allowed to learn from our mistakes. That is, given a second chance. I imagine there would be a lot more negativity and falling back to making the same mistakes over and over again (if we were allowed to live), or worse.

I say give Hubbard the benefit of the doubt. Give your support to him, and the Iowa basketball program and Iowa administration for giving him a second chance.

It would probably not be a bad idea if Hubbard elaborated on the January situation

He might elaborate on it but it might also be nothing but revisionist history. The truth is we'll never know exactly what happened most likely.

I'm glad the U of I gave Anthony Hubbard a second chance and can't wait to see him out on the court. But I'll also be holding my breath -so to speak- hoping he doesn't get into trouble. I suspect that many of you have the same outlook that I do. It's human nature I'd say.

The article should have been edited and condensed. The general theme and antecdotes could have been accurately conveyed in one-third of the words used. Plus, it is a theme that will be played out by every Iowa sportswriter during the next two years. I.e., I, too, was once young and I, too, made mistakes and hey, look at me now, I am a functioning part of society.

Of course, such an action equates armed robbery with a minor alcohol arrest and equates the mindset of a white, Midwestern male living in a rural area with a strong family core to a black, east-Coast male living in a metropolitan area who was the product of a single-parent family, but it's easy, it's a column that almost writes itself and you will see some variation of the column from Dochtermann, Doxsie, Harty, Hlas, et al. Mr. Miller was simply ahead of the curve.

What am I missing here? Jon gave his opinion on "the Hubbard thing" and was all for giving him a second chance but could see why some would be skeptical of Fran's decision. He then discussed his personal life about receiving a second chance. I mean what is it with some of you people? Did you think this was not going to be discussed? Being in prison for 4 years is a big deal, of course it is going to be discussed.

What am I missing here? Jon gave his opinion on "the Hubbard thing" and was all for giving him a second chance but could see why some would be skeptical of Fran's decision. He then discussed his personal life about receiving a second chance. I mean what is it with some of you people? Did you think this was not going to be discussed? Being in prison for 4 years is a big deal, of course it is going to be discussed.

:) excellent

Latest posts