Miller: Beathard's Go All In

I think this means CJ knows he isn't starting in the bowl game or next year and this whole process of speaking to the media is his way of unofficially announcing to every program that needs a QB that he will be available next year.

HawkAttack nails it. Anyone who thinks the QB competition has been truly open preparing for the bowl or that CJ would have taken a snap in the game -- barring injury to Jake -- is deluding themselves. After that interview, there is no way CJ plays on Jan. 2.

I, too, applaud the move by CJ and his father. We all know how this ends. My hope would be that Iowa puts no restrictions on his transfer approval.

I join the camp that is truly disgusted by Kirk's lying to players about playing time and his unwillingness to put the best players on the field. I no longer want him coaching football and representing my alma mater.

When CJ wasn't given the starting job following the Purdue game it was obvious that the competition wasn't open. JR had done virtually nothing up to that point, had nearly lost to UNI, nearly lost to Ball St. and would have lost to Pitt. There was no logical reason to return to JR as the starter at that point.

Ultimately this is why I stopped supporting KF and want to move on. He has proven he is incapable of changing and adapting to the game today. If CJ doesn't start this is just the nail in the coffin in my opinion for lots of fans who did give KF the benefit of the doubt up to this point.

I will also throw this out here right now. If Kirk makes a change at OC, and DOESN'T name Brian as that OC, it means even he knows this ship is going down, and no amount of bailing will save it. It would be akin to Greg McDermott not wanting Doug to come play for ISU, because they would both know the program is in full dumpster fire mode, and nothing can put the fire out at that point.

When CJ wasn't given the starting job following the Purdue game it was obvious that the competition wasn't open. JR had done virtually nothing up to that point, had nearly lost to UNI, nearly lost to Ball St. and would have lost to Pitt. There was no logical reason to return to JR as the starter at that point.

Ultimately this is why I stopped supporting KF and want to move on. He has proven he is incapable of changing and adapting to the game today. If CJ doesn't start this is just the nail in the coffin in my opinion for lots of fans who did give KF the benefit of the doubt up to this point.

These bolded thoughts are now proven by a lot of evidence including continuing to run Weisman on the outside zone against Nebraska, just a waste of plays, player playing time, etc.

If I were to renew my season tickets it is only in expectation of seeing CJB as the QB and he isnt I feel like I was buying an inferior product. No one likes to do that.

I really don't think CJ will play either, but I'm glad he said what he said. This team needed a spark all year, and we saw what CJ could do in the Pitt game. We saw the offense come to life. We saw in limited action before then how much potential he had, but Kirk is to stubborn and I am sick of it.

Wouldn't it be something if CJ played the bowl game, lit up the defense, and then transferred anyway?

These bolded thoughts are now proven by a lot of evidence including continuing to run Weisman on the outside zone against Nebraska, just a waste of plays, player playing time, etc.

If I were to renew my season tickets it is only in expectation of seeing CJB as the QB and he isnt I feel like I was buying an inferior product. No one likes to do that.

Even if CJ is the starting QB for the bowl game, and named starter for next year, I won't be renewing my season tickets. Too much evidence that nothing will ever change for me to believe it before I see it......even with CJ at QB.

I have been on the CJ band wagon for a long time.

I think the NW game sealed the deal that Kirk was going with JR the rest of the season.

Going into NW, i was told that CJ was going to play a ton. Lots of different packages for him. Well, JR played like a world beater that day. I was not upset that JR kept taking the reps in that game bc he was playing well. The talk of a 2 QB system went out the door soon after that. then when JR went back to being mediocre and Cj didnt see the field i knew the 2 QB was over.

I tweeted immediately after the Nebby game that CJ needs to start the bowl game. We are a 7-5 mediocre team. What is there to lose? we are prepping for next year

Bye bye CJ.....that interview is the nail in his coffin.

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY...is going to tell Kirk what to do, and that includes Gary Barta.

Too bad.

I just don't understand why playmakers either rarely see the field or just don't get targeted or play much at Iowa. It makes no sense.

Do you really blame the kid? Especially if he believes that this is the 1st time it been an open competition.
KF talks out of both sides of his mouth. Frustration level right now is at a all time high.

Wait a minute. I thought Ferentz didn't pay attention to what's going on in the media. At least he states his ignorance of such goings on. Therefore, he'll have no idea what the Beathards are saying, and he'll judge the "QB competition" based just on how well each does at practice. Right? Everything's cool.

Do you really blame the kid? Especially if he believes that this is the 1st time it been an open competition.
KF talks out of both sides of his mouth. Frustration level right now is at a all time high.
Not only do I not blame him, I commend him for sticking it out through the entire season. He was told he would have a fair shot at getting the job. He did not have a fair shot. He clearly has more upside. Guys who know a lot more about football than most of us have been saying that publicly for awhile now. Yet the one guy that matters the most refuses to change because "Jake is a really smart, good kid". Jake is a great backup QB. He can focus on his studies, and can manage the team if CJ gets hurt. But no, we have to put the nice kid at QB so he can check to a stretch to the short side of the field with our fullback. And some people wonder why Iowa fans are frustrated?

Damn, I dont think you speak like that unless youre leaving. I'll be shocked if he's still at Iowa this spring.

He won't be. Patrick Vint at BHGP puts it more succinctly: CJ is threatening to transfer if he doesn't play in the bowl game. He might as well leave now. We all know how this is going to end.

He won't be. Patrick Vint at BHGP puts it more succinctly: CJ is threatening to transfer if he doesn't play in the bowl game. He might as well leave now. We all know how this is going to end.

I wonder if CJ already knows he's leaving and that impacted the Willies situation. If you were Willies, would you come back if Rudock was going to be throwing to you? And by "throwing to you" I mean not even look in your direction.

I wonder if CJ already knows he's leaving and that impacted the Willies situation. If you were Willies, would you come back if Rudock was going to be throwing to you? And by "throwing to you" I mean not even look in your direction.
Hey if he wanted the ball thrown to him, he should have learned to run 3 yard routes. When you are the check down option with Jake at the helm, your odds of getting the ball increase by 500%.

CJB missed the transfer boat. He really should have transferred last year, allowing him two years to start at another school.

Unless he is willing to transfer to an FCS school, his transfer opinions aren't great. And, in fact, he might be better served to wait out another year here where is likely to start as a senior.

I think CJB wants to see if he has a shot at the NFL. And, he knows, he needs to play in college games before his senior year to get on anyone's radar.

Even if CJ is the starting QB for the bowl game, and named starter for next year, I won't be renewing my season tickets. Too much evidence that nothing will ever change for me to believe it before I see it......even with CJ at QB.

I'm not renewing mine either. I don't agree with the direction the program is headed, and even if Ferentz surprises everyone by starting Beathard the home slate of games sucks next year. No way I'm spending that much dough after what we've seen this season.

To me this is the final straw. If Kirk doesn't understand that starting CJ is the right move here then he's blatantly telling 99% of Hawkeye Nation that he doesn't give a **** what you think. He's telling everyone that he's willing to let a kid who could be a very good QB leave his program simply because he's too stubborn to play him. Kirk needs to get out of his own way here. If he can't do that then I will be 100% ready for him to get out of Iowa City. I'm 90% there already, but this will tip me over the edge.

CJB missed the transfer boat. He really should have transferred last year, allowing him two years to start at another school.

Unless he is willing to transfer to an FCS school, his transfer opinions aren't great. And, in fact, he might be better served to wait out another year here where is likely to start as a senior.

I think CJB wants to see if he has a shot at the NFL. And, he knows, he needs to play in college games before his senior year to get on anyone's radar.

Yea hind site being what it is I'm sure he does.. I think he bought what KF sold him that it was going to be a competition this yr and he had confidence he'd beat out JR... So now here we sit with the fork in the road going two very different directions. I'd sure like to be at the rest of the practices leading up to the game now... I'd love to be at the coaches meetings to hear what their 2 cents is on all this. Unless JR gets hurt leading up to the game I have a tough time seeing Ferentz making the change it'd just be so far outside his character to do so.

Because it's so clear that CJ is the starter his senior year, it really shows what the Beathard's think of Kirk's decision making skills when they say there is no guarantees he will start his senior year. They just as well say "Kirk might screw us in 2 years too".

Latest posts