Mike Gesell is the problem

Mike has been playing like this for his entire career sometimes having a big game. I would throw more blame on our perimeter defense, Fran's unusual subbing pattern, and t not taking care of the ball. Keeping Wagner on Hayes would have kept JU out of foul trouble.

Now that's something I agree with. We needed Wagner to play more minutes just to defend Hayes. Woody could have got more rest or we could have alternated Clemmons/Gesell on the floor giving them more rest. That would keep Uthoff fresh for the end of the game because he wouldn't have to work as hard defending other players and he wouldn't have been saddled with foul trouble. If I have to choose between Uthoff fouling out and Wagner fouling out, I'll choose the latter.

Iowa lost by 8, they missed a total of 7 free throws. I watched the game and I can tell you exactly why they lost turnovers, crappy shooting, and lack of bench production. You can't shoot 33% and expect to win the game, its that simple.

It truly is that simple. No matter how good your defense is you need to make more than one out of three shots or you can't win... unless the opponent is truly a bad team - and I don't think any Big 10 team is that bad.

There is some truth here, but I don't think it's as much about shot selection as it is teams defending us a bit different.

Shot selection didn't suddenly turn from great mid season to bad now. We are missing many many more Open looks than were were in Dec/Jan. Especially the bench.

This x 100.

The biggest problem with Gesell is that he hasn't improved overall. In fact, he's regressed in free throws.

Actually he's only regressed between his freshman and sophomore years. And with the elbow injury last year, it's safe to say that it hurt his shooting. He's still not up to his freshman year level in free throws, though. Here's his free throw stats (from ESPN):

2015-2016 71.1% (59-83)
2014-1015 68.9% (42-61)
2013-2014 67.1% (49-73)
2012-2013 79.4% (50-63)

Actually he's only regressed between his freshman and sophomore years. And with the elbow injury last year, it's safe to say that it hurt his shooting. He's still not up to his freshman year level in free throws, though. Here's his free throw stats (from ESPN):

2015-2016 71.1% (59-83)
2014-1015 68.9% (42-61)
2013-2014 67.1% (49-73)
2012-2013 79.4% (50-63)

Does anyone remember if Gesell shot with the ball way out in front of his head when he was a freshman. Everyone praised the "shot doctor" for his work on Baer's shot when he was making them and I've noticed that he and Gesell have the same form. Is that a Kirk Speraw thing? Did he "fix" Gesell's shot to make him shoot like a girl?

Blaming Gesell is stupid. He does need to be better he needs to be 10 pts a game, 0 TO's and finish at the damn rim for sure. BUT more concerning is the fact that the bench is producing 0 and 0 and Jarrod can't throw it in the ocean while standing in it. Move Clem to PG at least he finished a couple times and can hit FT's.

Gesell has lost his legs, it's that simple. His shot is short he can't close out on shooters fast enough. Clemmons is tired too. Fran hasn't even tried to develop any depth at guard. All five starters are showing fatigue. No bench! It's that simple. Kinda scares you for next year with one guard coming in. If Williams is the future he needs minutes!

Have to agree with OP. MG is awful. No real improvement in his 4-yrs. Small, hesitant to shoot. Short-arms almost every jump shot (they always clank off the front of the rim). IN close games, likes to dribble out shot clock 40-ft from basket. O-for-career on front-end of 1-and-1's. And 0-for-career in FT attempts in last 2:00 of close games.
Saves his best games for the Towson State's of the world. Will be blistering-hot those games.
Quit possibly the most un-clutch player in the history of a program that invented the word choke.

Gesell has lost his legs, it's that simple. His shot is short he can't close out on shooters fast enough. Clemmons is tired too. Fran hasn't even tried to develop any depth at guard. All five starters are showing fatigue. No bench! It's that simple. Kinda scares you for next year with one guard coming in. If Williams is the future he needs minutes!

Now when you say he lost his legs, do you mean he lost them his freshman year and never found them?

Last edited:
I re watched the game and saw a missed wide open ally oop to Uhl, a missed wide open pick and roll to Woody, and once where Uthoff had his guy posted up and Gesell just stood there looking at him until Uthoff pointed to the top of the key to make Gesell pass the ball to whoever was up there and he passed UT to Uthoff for the easy bucket. 3 routine plays that he missed. It cost us 4 easy points assuming Woody makes his wide open layup.

So calling out players is allowed on this site now. Anything to make a buck. How does it feel to be the poor white trash of message boards? There I called you out. You know who you are. I also hope you are ashamed to let this bs continue. Ok go back to your twitter fest now. And good luck with your prediction of the football team going 10-2 next year. I'm sure that will be really big news.

So calling out players is allowed on this site now. Anything to make a buck. How does it feel to be the poor white trash of message boards? There I called you out. You know who you are. I also hope you are ashamed to let this bs continue. Ok go back to your twitter fest now. And good luck with your prediction of the football team going 10-2 next year. I'm sure that will be really big news.

Don't really know about all the other stuff, but an entire thread calling out a single player is pretty blatant disregard for what I understand to be one of the basic rules here.

Ya wanna bash Fran (which is ludicrous at this juncture, imo) fine, as he gets paid and it's part of the gig.

These last few games are not on any one player, and it's BS to have an entire thread about said player and how bad he is.

what the bleep else are we supposed to do. A sr. point guard looking awful. Are we supposed to lie and say things are great and MG is awesome?

what the bleep else are we supposed to do. A sr. point guard looking awful. Are we supposed to lie and say things are great and MG is awesome?

No, you don't have to lie. You simply don't bash a player on the board. You can believe whatever you want, and you can yell from your rooftop your thoughts.

You have the right to voice your displeasure about how the team is playing, how it's coached, etc.

And their are many ways to post, and even be critical, about a position or player.

You don't have the right to bash players, by name, on this website. It's pretty simple.

Although, it appears noone is stopping it from happening.

Regardless, a premise that MG is the main problem is laughable.

Anarchy!

Constructive criticism is allowed. In my opinion that's what most of these posts are. I hope others think that's all mine are.

It seems to me when Gesell plays as a pass first point guard the team responds and plays well. When he plays like he's the guy who needs to shoot the team withers and plays lost.

It seems to me when Gesell plays as a pass first point guard the team responds and plays well. When he plays like he's the guy who needs to shoot the team withers and plays lost.

I wonder how much money he is going to make next year playing overseas. I hope he and his future wife happiness. These guys aren't going to win all their games, but he has won a lot of games at the University of Iowa. Gesell isn't the next Magic Johnson, but he is a pretty good player.

Constructive criticism is allowed. In my opinion that's what most of these posts are. I hope others think that's all mine are.

It is but this thread was started with pointing the fingers at Gesell, calling him out. Like another poster said I was under the impression that was against the rules of this site. I'm stunned that this thread has been allowed to continue.

It is but this thread was started with pointing the fingers at Gesell, calling him out. Like another poster said I was under the impression that was against the rules of this site. I'm stunned that this thread has been allowed to continue.

He shouldn't have said "he sucks". But other that that it was within the rules as far as I understand them. The title is probably not the best either.

Latest posts