Mike Gesell is the problem

If you don't think free throws are an issue then you're not watching games. How many of their missed ft came in the last 5 minutes last night?

Iowa lost by 8, they missed a total of 7 free throws. I watched the game and I can tell you exactly why they lost turnovers, crappy shooting, and lack of bench production. You can't shoot 33% and expect to win the game, its that simple.

Last edited:
If you don't think free throws are an issue then you're not watching games. How many of their missed ft came in the last 5 minutes last night?

While end of game fts have been noticable, in the recent 4 game struggles. Iowa as a team is shooting about 70% from the line for the year.

That's pretty solid.

It's just that losing sucks. We shot 71% from the line but about 35% from everywhere else, and That's the main problem.

Iowa lost by 8, they missed a total of 7 free throws. I watched the game and I can tell you exactly why they lost the game turnovers, crappy shooting, and lack of bench production. You can't shoot 33% and expect to win the game, its that simple.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Everything else is narrative.

Iowa lost by 8, they missed a total of 7 free throws. I watched the game and I can tell you exactly why they lost the game turnovers, crappy shooting, and lack of bench production. You can't shoot 33% and expect to win the game, its that simple.

And they shot 33% because their shot selection sucks. Woody is limited, but they still need to try and get him the ball down low as he can pass. Fran also needs to try and get Uthoff some mismatches down low so he can use his length.

The problem is, the players the coach and Gesell especially, if he is going to have the ball in his hands at crunch time need to realize that the go to guy is Jok not Utoff any more. He was last year but Jok has progressed into that position now. Last night Gesell had Jok all alone on the wing right in front of the Iowa bench and he reversed the ball to Utoff and things went to hell fast. I'm not saying Utoff is not a great player at all. I'm saying you don't pass up a chance to get Jok a wide open shot from the corner to get the ball to a well covered Utoff. The fact is I have seen Gesell do that on too many occasions this year. I would much rather see Clemmons with the ball at those crunch times. He is a much better decision maker and shooter than Gesell is. In fact I think Geseel should be the 6th man instead of a starter.

JMHO.

And they shot 33% because their shot selection sucks. Woody is limited, but they still need to try and get him the ball down low as he can pass. Fran also needs to try and get Uthoff some mismatches down low so he can use his length.

Their shot selection sucked because Wisconsin's defense made it impossible for Iowa to get an open shot. Freedom of motion was nowhere to be found in that game.

There is some truth here, but I don't think it's as much about shot selection as it is teams defending us a bit different.

Shot selection didn't suddenly turn from great mid season to bad now. We are missing many many more Open looks than were were in Dec/Jan. Especially the bench.

Their shot selection sucked because Wisconsin's defense made it impossible for Iowa to get an open shot. Freedom of motion was nowhere to be found in that game.

Tough to get open when they have five guys guarding three tightly - whoever is guarding Woody and MG can help like crazy as they have no confidence in their offensive game and barely even look at the basket.

Tough to get open when they have five guys guarding three tightly - whoever is guarding Woody and MG can help like crazy as they have no confidence in their offensive game and barely even look at the basket.

I had really good seats last night and saw first hand how far off they played on Gesell. What you see on TV doesn't do it justice. His defender can really clog the lane with no fear. It was also crazy how little room everyone else has to get shots off (with the exception of the wide open 3's we give up). After seeing all that, it means they are literally giving our point guard the open strait away 3 and he doesn't take it. Name another point guard in D1 who refuses to shoot 3's to the point where he won't even take them when they're given to him.

Gesell is one of the problems (liability is probably a better word), he's not the problem.
Did anyone else listen to Fran's post game interview? He defended the decision to stay in zone, which we've been getting killed on lately. He defended his use of timeouts or lack thereof and not substituting Uthoff in at the end of the game or giving Woody a breather. He also talks about getting Ellingson more minutes when he hasn't shown he's deserved any...
I understand there are coaches who remove players after their 2nd foul for the half, and 3rd foul you're out until 10 min. left but it's so dumb when that player is Uthoff and we're a two headed monster on offense. You essentially give the team what they want and take the player out of the game. He's sat a first half 15+ minutes because he had two early fouls, I think ended the game with 3. If he would have played the entire time, you're essentially saying he'd have fouled out with 15 min. left in the game in the 2nd half. Makes no sense.

Getting the Gesell that beat Carolina last year may be too much to ask for.....but you gotta have more consistency out of the PG position. I know Gesell's assist-to- turnover ratio is really good, but that is soooo deceptive. His ability to get into the lane to kick/dish, his whole mid-range game is sporadic. A 4 yr. guy with his ability it should be better than what it is.

Last edited:
Gesell is one of the problems (liability is probably a better word), he's not the problem.
Did anyone else listen to Fran's post game interview? He defended the decision to stay in zone, which we've been getting killed on lately. He defended his use of timeouts or lack thereof and not substituting Uthoff in at the end of the game or giving Woody a breather. He also talks about getting Ellingson more minutes when he hasn't shown he's deserved any...
I understand there are coaches who remove players after their 2nd foul for the half, and 3rd foul you're out until 10 min. left but it's so dumb when that player is Uthoff and we're a two headed monster on offense. You essentially give the team what they want and take the player out of the game. He's sat a first half 15+ minutes because he had two early fouls, I think ended the game with 3. If he would have played the entire time, you're essentially saying he'd have fouled out with 15 min. left in the game in the 2nd half. Makes no sense.

I agree. It doesn't do any good to have a really good player at the end of a game if that player has absolutely no rhythm because he spent the whole game on the bench. You're better off leaving him in and hoping he never fouls out. It's possible the game won't be that close anyway if he does end up fouling out. Instead of worrying about having him at the end of a close game, worry about using him to put the game out of reach before the end. He ended with 4 fouls which means he would have played more minutes and probably better minutes had he been left in.

Who would have thought Iowa would chit the bed the 2nd half of the BIG season. I think that is part of their problem. They knew they overachieved the 1st half and probably thought the 2nd half was going to be quite a bit easier. Not the case. The first half teams were probably a bit overrated and the 2nd half has teams surging (Ohio St, Wisky) and with something to fight for (tournament bids).

I think there is more parity in the league than we were led to believe when starting the season.

I wouldn't say MG is THE problem. But he's certainly a part of it. As much as Woody not being able to score is. As much as Uthoff hasn't been playing very well (as relative to his ability and what's asked of him anyway) I don't think it's so simple as to say if Iowa had gotten Ulis and MG was coming off the bench all of Iowas problems with winning would be solved... But what a different team this would be if that was the case holy smokes.

I had really good seats last night and saw first hand how far off they played on Gesell. What you see on TV doesn't do it justice. His defender can really clog the lane with no fear. It was also crazy how little room everyone else has to get shots off (with the exception of the wide open 3's we give up). After seeing all that, it means they are literally giving our point guard the open strait away 3 and he doesn't take it. Name another point guard in D1 who refuses to shoot 3's to the point where he won't even take them when they're given to him.

I recall when watching last night one time in particular I was surprised he didn't take the 3, he came down the court & there was literally no one within 8 feet of him & he was at the top of the arch.

Clemmons was hitting 3's earlier this year and he can also drive to the hoop when needed. Perhaps he should be starting at the point. I always thought it was a push between them, but as a fan, I find myself more content with Clemmons.

Not going to throw Gesell under the bus or go out of my way to stick up for him. That said I saw a number of posters calling out his assist totals last night. No PG is going to have a good assist total when you shoot as poorly as we did.

That said, last night's game became so much bigger after the PSU loss. Wiscy is playing great ball recently and it's not a horrible loss in the scheme of things. However it makes the PSU loss more crippling.

I recall when watching last night one time in particular I was surprised he didn't take the 3, he came down the court & there was literally no one within 8 feet of him & he was at the top of the arch.

Clemmons was hitting 3's earlier this year and he can also drive to the hoop when needed. Perhaps he should be starting at the point. I always thought it was a push between them, but as a fan, I find myself more content with Clemmons.

I know exactly what you're talking about. You just can't have a point guard pass on that shot. They play defense the same way whether it's Mike or Woody standing at the 3 pt line. It was also very noticeable the difference between how hard Mike and AC take it to the rim. I really don't think it's even close anymore who the better player between the 2 is.

Latest posts