Mike Gesell is the problem

My feeling is he is not a scorer and is a PG. That's fine in college BB. Many teams have been elite with just a PG that can handle the ball and play some D. My problem is when your PG is just for ball handling, your center is just for a big body and no O, and your off guard is mainly for defending with some slashing built in....you are left with 2 people who can score. No knock on Clemons, think he is doing quite well this year, but knocking down jumpers falls on 2 people and its quickly becoming known to double hedge those two every time and leave everyone else alone.

^^ Exactly, playing 2.5 against 5 on offense. The other players, gesell, clemmons, woody need to shoot and score more

As I see it this team has several problems. Gesell cannot shoot, Uhl can not shoot,or defend. No inside game. The inside game would create more space for Jok and Utoff. Jerrod seems to just stand at the 3 point line lately. Earlier in the year he was posting down low. I do not see that. The second team seems lost both on defense and offense.

2 years ago when White played the 3, we had no shooters on the floor and the offense would bog dow. Now we play with 3 non scorers as starters. Thank god our 2 scorers are as good as they are. Jok is as unstoppable as his conditioning will allow.

Mike has been playing like this for his entire career sometimes having a big game. I would throw more blame on our perimeter defense, Fran's unusual subbing pattern, and t not taking care of the ball. Keeping Wagner on Hayes would have kept JU out of foul trouble.

Mike has been playing like this for his entire career sometimes having a big game. I would throw more blame on our perimeter defense, Fran's unusual subbing pattern, and t not taking care of the ball. Keeping Wagner on Hayes would have kept JU out of foul trouble.

We are capable of being really good with Mike at point (obviously because we did for half the year) it just leaves very little margin of error. It's also hard to not think of what could have been has he not left college a worse shooter than when he got there.

Its really not his fault. He should not be in the position he's currently in. He should be a backup PG getting spot duty but instead he's a starter thats logging heavy minutes. The blame goes to the man who hasn't found someone more qualified to start on a B1G roster.

CORRECT you are. He tries hard, coach decides who gets minutes. It's unfair to pick on player, frustration should be directed at coach. There would be nothing tomsay about him if he wasn't playing. Duh
i'd start AC at PG and with Jok at the 2 spot and Uhl at other wing. Need 4 guys that look for their shot on the floor. With are dynamic duo of MG and Woody, seldom looking to score, it's much easier to defend.

He is a great point guard for Iowa. His senior leadership and game IQ has been key for Iowa's success this year. When the team needs him to score he does, when they need him to distribute he does.

A 6'1" guard who can't shoot and not a defensive stopper? Yes, that is a massive problem. Little too late now. If only ulis came. If ands or buts as they say!

I doubt if Ulis came to Iowa that he would be starting over Gesell. Fran loves to play the guys with the experience. Uthoff didn't start over McCabe his first year. Gesell has done a good job for Iowa, but its true that he isn't a great offensive threat.

I doubt if Ulis came to Iowa that he would be starting over Gesell. Fran loves to play the guys with the experience. Uthoff didn't start over McCabe his first year. Gesell has done a good job for Iowa, but its true that he isn't a great offensive threat.

Ulis might get the player of the year award in SEC this year. Are you saying not good enough to start for Fran, or Fran would be too dumb or stubborn to start him over a senior?

Ulis might get the player of the year award in SEC this year. Are you saying not good enough to start for Fran, or Fran would be too dumb or stubborn to start him over a senior?

I could be wrong, but I don't think he would of started over Gesell. He would of played a lot of minutes though. Fran is a pretty loyal guy, and I doubt he would of started over a senior four year starter.

CORRECT you are. He tries hard, coach decides who gets minutes. It's unfair to pick on player, frustration should be directed at coach. There would be nothing tomsay about him if he wasn't playing. Duh
i'd start AC at PG and with Jok at the 2 spot and Uhl at other wing. Need 4 guys that look for their shot on the floor. With are dynamic duo of MG and Woody, seldom looking to score, it's much easier to defend.

You can always say your team would be better if you had someone better to replace one of your players. At what point is it dumb to blame a coach tho? We're a pretty good team this year. In my opinion, we're too good to throw blame at a coach for not having a better player. I don't blame Mike for becoming a terrible offensive player either. It's unfortunate, but I highly doubt it's from lack of effort.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he would of started over Gesell. He would of played a lot of minutes though. Fran is a pretty loyal guy, and I doubt he would of started over a senior four year starter.

He wouldn't have been a 4 year started. He would have been a 2 year starter and 2 year backup. Unless he started at the 2 over Sapp this year.

Wouldn't be opposed to it. Something needs to be shaken up.

What the hell? I made a post like this about 2 weeks ago and got blasted. Now more of you are on bored with Gessell is a liability 70% of the time?! And 100% off the time of Offense?

MG is not the reason we lost the game, but he is a problem. He is left open for a reason. It's smart; make Gesell beat you. He doesn't have confidence in his shot. But we have a lot of other problems right now too. Outside of Woody, we don't rebound well. We can't seem to cover the 3 point line anymore. There was at least 3 times in the second half where we basically just stood and watch someone bury an open 3 on us. For some reason we have a coach who just won't call a time out to stop momentum. It worked for Wisconsin. We got up 6, their coach called a timeout, and our lead was quickly gone. Outside of Woody, and first half Jok, everyone can take a little blame for this one.

Latest posts