Mike Gesell is the problem

Kinda torn... Want to come to Mike's defense a little bit in that he played a decent game. I think that 10 point mark for him is about where we want him to be.

With that said he got blocked on a couple key possessions down the end.

The thing is, games like this should be his average games. Not his good ones. Based on my opinion of his ability.

Let me break it down for you... He sucks.

Do you know how many PGs would love to have Woody setting picks for them... Mike can't shoot or finish at the rim.

Dont let the assist to turnover ratio fool you... I promise you I can pass to Uthoff and Jok and let them shoot 3s and make stats look good.

To be honest the guard play had me concerned last year but I didn't fathom that Jok or Uthoff would be at the level they are at as they have improved their game. Woody had improved as well but we have two guys that are offensively challenged.

To be honest, Uhl, Clemmons, and Baer have both shot better than they truly are in the first part of the season and now we see that.

Let me break it down for you, it's pathetic when your 4 year starting 7'1 low post's most valued offensive attribute is setting screens for your point guard

PC this is for you. I said Mike wasn't the problem and was solid and said our PG play would be worse after he left. This was in Feb of 2016 and that was just searching titles that talked about Mike.

PC this is for you. I said Mike wasn't the problem and was solid and said our PG play would be worse after he left. This was in Feb of 2016 and that was just searching titles that talked about Mike.

Lol you have two posts in a 9 page thread meant for bashing Mike and the point of both of your posts is we will be worse next year.

On Jok's 3rd 3, Gesell drove the lane and instead of a quick, in rhythm kick out, he stopped, turned around to look for someone, saw him, then passed it. Jok still buried that 3 and Gesell got the assist, but the pass wasn't on time. It didn't hurt there but that exact same play happens all the time and that hesitation is the difference between getting the shot off and not getting the shot off.

Here is a post of mine talking about unimpressive assists before unimpressive assists were a thing.

I re watched the game and saw a missed wide open ally oop to Uhl, a missed wide open pick and roll to Woody, and once where Uthoff had his guy posted up and Gesell just stood there looking at him until Uthoff pointed to the top of the key to make Gesell pass the ball to whoever was up there and he passed UT to Uthoff for the easy bucket. 3 routine plays that he missed. It cost us 4 easy points assuming Woody makes his wide open layup.

Another one where he missed easy plays that every point guard should make every time. All this time I've been arguing that Gesell only made unimpressive assists. Turns out he couldn't even make those.

Lol you have two posts in a 9 page thread meant for bashing Mike and the point of both of your posts is we will be worse next year.

It's not like I dug deep to find this as I just searched the thread title. You requested I showed where I stuck up for Mike and I showed it to you.

Hawk5656 is CyTwins right?

Dean was sending me private messages calling me Dean for the longest time but now I think he is saying I'm a Twins fan now. It's hard to keep up since I've been a few different people since I've been on here but I think you are right that I am a Twins fan for now.

Dean was sending me private messages calling me Dean for the longest time but now I think he is saying I'm a Twins fan now. It's hard to keep up since I've been a few different people since I've been on here but I think you are right that I am a Twins fan for now.

If Dean thinks you're Dean, I think you're pc.

By the back half of the B1G season, JBo was much better than MG ever was, period. It's not even debatable. When it's winnnng time, JBo is even better. Honestly, when it's winning time I'd even prefer JBo on defense over MG just bc winners make winning plays. Even if he doesn't make the winning stop, I can see Baer w a steal or rebound kicking it up the floor for JBo to make a winning play. Winners win in winning time.

By the back half of the B1G season, JBo was much better than MG ever was, period. It's not even debatable. When it's winnnng time, JBo is even better. Honestly, when it's winning time I'd even prefer JBo on defense over MG just bc winners make winning plays. Even if he doesn't make the winning stop, I can see Baer w a steal or rebound kicking it up the floor for JBo to make a winning play. Winners win in winning time.

We don't have Mike now and didn't have JBo then. The question is that if we get someone who is as good at the offense, faster and CAN PLAY DEFENSE, will that person play over JBo?

We don't have Mike now and didn't have JBo then. The question is that if we get someone who is as good at the offense, faster and CAN PLAY DEFENSE, will that person play over JBo?
The big underlying problem question in that scenario is, could an incoming frosh play with the moxie and consistency of JBo? I doubt it. But a 4* recruit at PG would still get a lot of minutes.

Sounds kinda funny to say you would want Bohannon on defense in crunch time because Mike was so much better on defense....for the first 38 minutes.