mike and mike destroy Bo on air

I don't care either way on Uthoff. I can see the B10 restriction cause that is a conference rule, but not ISU etc. What is the rule for ISU restricting to Iowa? I haven't heard of that one other than they are rivals. I don't know the transfer rules well, so really curious. I had no problem either way.

There is no rule, other than schools can restrict any other school from offering a scholarship for one year. ISU could have done that with Haluska and Iowa. They chose not to, which is the right decision.

There is no rule, other than schools can restrict any other school from offering a scholarship for one year. ISU could have done that with Haluska and Iowa. They chose not to, which is the right decision.
So, then Bo was within the rules if you can restrict anyone. So who cares. Yeah it is D-baggish, but that would be the reason Iowa would've been ****** if ISU had done that to Haluska.

If Ogelsby changes his mind and wants to got ISU I think most would be mad that he's leaving Iowa, not that he's going to ISU.

That's exactly my point, which I seem to be communicating very poorly.

I'm not disputing the rule, and I don't think anybody is. People are making the case that Bo is being a jerk for doing this, ESPECIALLY in light of the Brust situation. He's the one that opened pandora's box and now he doesn't want to reap what he's sown.

The reason this is getting so much attention is the sheer and utter hypocrisy of the situation.

I'm not disputing the rule, and I don't think anybody is. People are making the case that Bo is being a jerk for doing this, ESPECIALLY in light of the Brust situation. He's the one that opened pandora's box and now he doesn't want to reap what he's sown.

The reason this is getting so much attention is the sheer and utter hypocrisy of the situation.

I understand you and am agreeing with you. I don't think any Iowa fan would say that if this happened to Haluska they would say that whoever your coach was at the time was a D-bag, but not illegal.

Question for those of you who have no problem with the restrictions… would you have had a problem with ISU putting restrictions on Haluska? It was clear he was probably going to go to Iowa. We play every year.

ISU would have been well within the rules to restrict him. But it wouldn’t have been the right thing to do. That’s the argument here. This is also coming from somebody who doesn’t mind a Big 10 ban. I would have expected a Big 12 ban for Haluska.

The only restrictions that should ever be on a player is in conference and/or any teams that tampered before the player left.

Restricting ISU is so ridiculous by Bo.

Well said.

Question for those of you who have no problem with the restrictions… would you have had a problem with ISU putting restrictions on Haluska? It was clear he was probably going to go to Iowa. We play every year.

ISU would have been well within the rules to restrict him. But it wouldn’t have been the right thing to do. That’s the argument here. This is also coming from somebody who doesn’t mind a Big 10 ban. I would have expected a Big 12 ban for Haluska.

If ISU were also not in the midst of a coaching change at that time, they might have slapped the Iowa restriction there..but that was in the aftermath of Eustachy Incident. When there are coaching changes, schools have seemingly been less restrictive.

If ISU were also not in the midst of a coaching change at that time, they might have slapped the Iowa restriction there..but that was in the aftermath of Eustachy Incident. When there are coaching changes, schools have seemingly been less restrictive.

I don't want to be "that guy" who calls you out, but I think you've got the timeline messed up. If I recall correctly, Haluska came to Iowa from ISU BECAUSE of Larry....i.e. didn't like his coaching style.

Then again, it could be me that's wrong.

two things I need to get off my chest.

1) Bo said he did what all other coaches would do...how did you get Burst? Not the same situation, but still was able to transfer no restrictions.

2) After listening to Bo on Mike and Mike I think he didn't help himself what-so-ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to be "that guy" who calls you out, but I think you've got the timeline messed up. If I recall correctly, Haluska came to Iowa from ISU BECAUSE of Larry....i.e. didn't like his coaching style.

Then again, it could be me that's wrong.

If I remember right, you're both correct.

two things I need to get off my chest.

1) Bo said he did what all other coaches would do...how did you get Burst? Not the same situation, but still was able to transfer no restrictions.

2) Bo is getting what he deserves. The last 2 years he needed to keep his mouth shout. He has publicly bashed Iowa's coaching decisions, and recently Illinois. Don't cry when the media comes after you when you use the media to go after others.

I don't remember Bo doing #2.....I know Izzo did.

But he may have and I just missed it....

If I remember right, you're both correct.

I thought I remembered Haluska announcing sometime in late March/early April....it was right around Final Four time.

The Eustachy photos didn't come out until sometime around the beginning of May, I think.

Now, Haluska may have gotten wind of that before the photos were actually published, but I don't remember his transfer being BECAUSE Larry was fired because I think he transferred before any of that came out.

Like I said, could be wrong.....

I don't remember Bo doing #2.....I know Izzo did.

But he may have and I just missed it....

was it Izzo? I could have sworn I heard something about it before the Wisky game this year. Thanks for pointing that out.

If so I will retract that statement and replace with this.

2) after listening to Bo on Mike and Mike I think he didn't help himself what-so-ever.

Sure, but thems the rules. BFD. I really don't feel extremely sorry for this kid that isn't going to honor his commitment. Now maybe there's something more to it which is possible, but maybe there's more to it the other way, What if Uthoff (or someone in his camp) has been actively talking to other schools about transferring? That could certainly drive a coach to make a seemingly selfish and petty decision.

Uthoff should have to sit out a year, just like everyone else. That's the penalty for not honoring your commitment. But at this point, Bo is making it impossible for him to go anywhere. That's not even remotely fair.

No surprise with Bo ("the Grinch") Ryan. He is a big phony; he'll take Brust without hesitation but blocks Uthoff. What a complete loser - the good news is Wisconsin is all done in Iowa - everyone is seeing Bo's true colors now. What a ruthless moron

I think this is all pretty hilarious and Ryan is certainly coming off as a horse's patootie, but I just wonder if all of us here would be so outraged if Uthoff had already announced his desire to attend ISU. In any event, it is my feeling that anything that hurts Wisconsin (and this situation can't help but do that), is good for Iowa.

I think this is all pretty hilarious and Ryan is certainly coming off as a horse's patootie, but I just wonder if all of us here would be so outraged if Uthoff had already announced his desire to attend ISU. In any event, it is my feeling that anything that hurts Wisconsin (and this situation can't help but do that), is good for Iowa.

Actually the fact that Ryan put Iowa State on that list of banned schools is what this whole thing started. I understand within your own conference but keeping him from going to ISU makes no sense, and then the rest of it followed.

the contract stuff that gets brought up is what matters. the contract could have a non-compete clause that says they can transfer anywhere outside the conference. simple. in fact i think a coach's contract should have bigger restrictions on leaving because i think it is terrible how they jump ship after signing an extension. i know it is their right and they are doing what is best for them but the college needs some protection.

He basically found every school that Uthoff wanted to go to and put them on the restricted list. He can say that every school does this, but they do not. Schools typically restrict the conference they play, although they have the right to put any school on the restrict list. I think he is confusing what schools have the ability to do with what schools normally do. He kept on saying over and over that every school does this. That is not factually accurate. Not every school bans nearly every opponent on their schedule and all schools the student athlete says they are interested in. To ban ISU, the ACC, and Florida is in my opinion going overboard and too extreme. At this point the argument can be made that he is punishing Uthoff for transferring out of UW. Maybe this is why he has had one transfer in 10 years.

Latest posts