Middle Linebacker

i get the "tape" comment. we are watching tv (dvr or otherwise). it isnt like we are watching the coaches tape (that shows everyone on the field). so we see what the tv shows us no matter how many times we watch it. that being said we see what the tv shows us and therefore we miss things.

morris was left on an island yesterday. he did his job well outside of 1 or 2 big plays...and they look like huge mistakes because he was left on an island.

people wanted more man to man...well they got it and what it was was 5 wide and morris left alone because of it. we put 2 cbs, 2 olbs, and the ss in man on their 5 wides and left 1 high saftey (about 20 yds off the ball). this left 5 ol against 4 dl and morris. if 1 dl had caused a double team morris makes a tackle. instead lynch was patient and waited for the block on morris then hit the crease. it was good scheme and good running. then a bad angle by the safety (also left on an island) caused a huge gain.

morris was asked to spy the qb a lot. this is one of the hardest things to do in football. he did a good job. i will agree he didnt tackle the best but he played his keys and was in position. he wasnt given much help and defense is all about team play (more so than even offense). morris wasnt perfect. but he is still the best mlb we have because if nothing else levarr woods wouldnt have him out there if he wasnt. with how good levarr was he wouldnt put an inept guy out there. position coaches usually pick who plays. yes the ceo has input but it is usually position coaches that sub in because they focus on their area.

the only 2 reasons i would see morris play over alston if alston is better...1) alston is hurt (then it is moot cause he must play) or 2) alston is in the doghouse (unlikely because i have never heard anything anywhere close to this). at this point if alston really thought he was getting the short end i think he would have transferred and since he hasnt i think he sees he isnt better than morris but has given up on working to get there. at worst morris is our 2nd best lb, i personally think him and kirksey are about the same.

i get the "tape" comment. we are watching tv (dvr or otherwise). it isnt like we are watching the coaches tape (that shows everyone on the field). so we see what the tv shows us no matter how many times we watch it. that being said we see what the tv shows us and therefore we miss things.

morris was left on an island yesterday. he did his job well outside of 1 or 2 big plays...and they look like huge mistakes because he was left on an island.

people wanted more man to man...well they got it and what it was was 5 wide and morris left alone because of it. we put 2 cbs, 2 olbs, and the ss in man on their 5 wides and left 1 high saftey (about 20 yds off the ball). this left 5 ol against 4 dl and morris. if 1 dl had caused a double team morris makes a tackle. instead lynch was patient and waited for the block on morris then hit the crease. it was good scheme and good running. then a bad angle by the safety (also left on an island) caused a huge gain.

morris was asked to spy the qb a lot. this is one of the hardest things to do in football. he did a good job. i will agree he didnt tackle the best but he played his keys and was in position. he wasnt given much help and defense is all about team play (more so than even offense). morris wasnt perfect. but he is still the best mlb we have because if nothing else levarr woods wouldnt have him out there if he wasnt. with how good levarr was he wouldnt put an inept guy out there. position coaches usually pick who plays. yes the ceo has input but it is usually position coaches that sub in because they focus on their area.

the only 2 reasons i would see morris play over alston if alston is better...1) alston is hurt (then it is moot cause he must play) or 2) alston is in the doghouse (unlikely because i have never heard anything anywhere close to this). at this point if alston really thought he was getting the short end i think he would have transferred and since he hasnt i think he sees he isnt better than morris but has given up on working to get there. at worst morris is our 2nd best lb, i personally think him and kirksey are about the same.

I agree very much with this post. The only thing I would add was that the plays he missed were more of a routine nature...for example, the 73 yard td, he gets caught up inside, when there is no way he was making a play from there. That move or decision, didn't make sense watching the play...there was help inside and I'm assuming (i know a potential problem), his responsibility was to scrape to the outside. He has to take a better angle to avoid the big play. You are absolutely right though, our FS took a horrible angle also...and bears responsibility for that TD...probably more than Morris.

There was another 3rd down play where they had Lynch at the line of scrimmage in traffic and James flat out whiffed. Getting the defense off the field is paramount for this team to be successful. Our experienced players have to make those plays. On their first TD, he made another strange decision not to run full steam down the line to help prevent the TD...he veered up field to take on a blocker. Someone said he was taking away the cut back lane...really, with a guy running to the corner of the end zone. You better haul your butt to get to the corner first.

I'm not saying he played poorly the whole game...he just didn't make the plays I would expect him to make being a junior with 2 years experience and plays this team absolutely has to have him make. First game...new DL, I'm sure a learning experience.

Here's to him making all the plays against the clones.

Latest posts