Middle Linebacker

I. Didn't say the foundation dude...and I wasn't trying to insult kids ..probably should've said fantasy camp or something..my mad. You get my point.

wow its not enough to insult Morris. let's insult dying kids as well![/QUOTE]

He just doesn't shed blocks well. He didn't last year or the year before. I think we have a stud in waiting with Alston who looked better in his limited action last year.

Honestly...I'm not trying to insult James...I want him to play well. I'm just pointing out he didn't look good to me yesterday and I can't figure out why. Plays he usually makes, he was either out of position, or just missed. I'm at a total loss.

I have to agree here, I have been saying this since last year. As much as I want him to be an awesome MLB I think there is enough tape from the last 2+ years now to show it just isn't in the cards. I don't see why after giving up a 76 yard td or whatever because he simply wasn't in position, the coaches don't at least give somone else a look. MLB is all about physicallity and instincts and it just looks like he isn't a good fit at that postion. Perhaps a Rush DE on passing downs.

I think it either gets cleaned up against Iowa State, or you will see Alston. You can't afford that type of play in the middle. I hope James gets it together. I have to watch the game again...but my first impression was kind of "what the hell is going on here".

i think gameplan hurt morris more than anything. he got left on an island a lot. when they went 5 wide we walked our olbs out and walked ss on one of them and played 1 high (almost too high safety). this left 5 in the box and our dl just needed to force 1 double team and they didnt leaving 1 on 1 with morris and a lineman with a good runner in lynch. morris didnt play great but i am pretty positive if the staff thought alston gave them a better chance to win they would play him.

defensively i was more upset with how donatell played. he was in retreat mode way to quick. i do not mean backpedalling...i mean he swiveled his hips and had back to offense before there was a definite read on pass or run and many times it was a run. with a running qb that makes it pretty much a 10 on 11 game. there are 2 changes that i thought they could have tried...1) play donatell deeper so he can play more downhill (in case he isnt fast enough on his backpedal give him more cushion) or 2) go to law who is supposedly a better run defender anyway.

He is one of those kids that you want to see succeed. The kind of kid you want to see mary your daughter. But as was evident last year and yesterday he seems to be in the wrong position. I hope he can get it together soon.

I thought our defense played a solid game. James Morris makes the defensive calls on the field. Very pleased with our defense overall, the offense...iffy until the game was on the line. I'll take the W.

Like others have said he consistently gets lost in the wash, doesn't shed blocks well, and doesn't have that ability to find the ball. He is serviceable but the the caliber of studs that played before him.

Two things: Read what "foval21" said. Second, in the second half, the coaches changed Jame's responsibilities and had him "spy." The defense, after all, only allowed one significant drive the entire game and pretty much shut down the NIU offense in the second half...see the stats. Yes, they have up a big play...are you surprised given the young team and the change in philosophy with more blitzes? Take a look at the total yardage gained by NIU and subtract the 76 yard run...what is left? Overall, I think the criticism of Morris is a bit harsh. He has been the leading tackler on the team the last two years and has shown up well in the big ten stats for tackles made.

This kid should be stepping up in games like this at this point in his career.... He got beat all game long..tv doesn't lie...watch it again.. Fans are expecting more from him...I hope he steps up just as much as anyone.. All my friends are rooting for him but we all are left asking if/when he is gonna step it up.

Two things: Read what "foval21" said. Second, in the second half, the coaches changed Jame's responsibilities and had him "spy." The defense, after all, only allowed one significant drive the entire game and pretty much shut down the NIU offense in the second half...see the stats. Yes, they have up a big play...are you surprised given the young team and the change in philosophy with more blitzes? Take a look at the total yardage gained by NIU and subtract the 76 yard run...what is left? Overall, I think the criticism of Morris is a bit harsh. He has been the leading tackler on the team the last two years and has shown up well in the big ten stats for tackles made.

It's his awful mustache if he shaves it his confidence will return. I like the young man I just think the mustache is slowing him down mentally and physically.

I 've noticed the bad mustache also. It just ain't right. Shaving it off could only help.

I think Morris and Donatel are "protected" by Kirk F. due to his loyal nature.
Morris because he is a local, heralded HS star who switched from RB to LB and played as Freshman due to the need.
Donatel is a senior who has also switched back and forth from LB to CB to LB etc. I think he was a HS QB. Tommy also has some family ties to the NFL, so Kirk likes that too.

I agree that some comments are out of line. And that there is a style of critiquing the Iowa players that should be off limits.

With that being said, I don't really care if he "bleeds black and gold". I know he has given it all for the program (I don't really know that, but I've heard good things). But he's my age and he got a scholly, many other Iowa HS kids that also "bleed black and gold" didn't get offered. So yes, it's great that he's a good hawk, but we are talking about his performance and his abilities. And in this way, nothing is off limits. His career performance has been loaded with hyperbole. He is a very average player that struggles with certain parts of the game and probably shouldn't be (can't be) the cornerstone of a good Defense.

my thoughts exactly...he looked lost. He ran right by Lynch a few times like he had closed his eyes or something. It was weird. Your middle linebacker has to be a magnet to the ball...and find it in traffic. His angles were terrible. I was just surprised as I expected him to play as good or better than anyone on the team...he was hurt last year and I understand he's healthy now.

I get what people are saying about putting him outside, but right now, there's no way he beats out Kirsey or Hitchens...IMO.

We need Alston in the middle. Have Morris drop some weight & pay safety.

Did Alston play any at LB??

Latest posts