METH BOWINS

Aikman and Gruden in my mind are probably the smartest announcers I've listened to, but since Joe Buck is the male version of Meth B. I don't tune into those games unless the Vikings are playing. Which is unfortunate because Aikman is good.

I never enjoyed Gruden. How many times per broadcast can he say "spider 2 y banana" and chuckle? Its like KF saying "thats football". Gruden also chose to keep Derek Carr and trade Khalil Mack. Ouch.

Most analysts tell us things we already know, but Romo is a master at explaining why things are happening, what teams are trying to do, and what will happen next based on what he's already seen. Its super entertaining to me. He's one of the very few analysts I actually feel like enhance the game watching experience.

I'm the last person to fall into political correctness. Hate all the victimization blame-game in society. But, while I don't think she's the best in the business by far, she isn't terrible. I'm also sure she must be pretty courageous because I'm sure she has to put up with a lot of sexist crap.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm not a fan of hers but I don't have any hatred either. She's just another broadcaster I don't really pay any attention to. She has said really dumb things in the past but so has every broadcaster. I'm pretty sure John Madden was certifiably retarded and people adore him.

On Sunday I heard a CBS broadcaster call James Connor of the Steelers "John Connor" three different times. John Connor, as in the kid from Terminator 2. If Beth Mowins would've done that there would be hate threads for days, but since some random male did it nobody seemed to notice. Its a silly double standard

I'm the last person to fall into political correctness. Hate all the victimization blame-game in society. But, while I don't think she's the best in the business by far, she isn't terrible. I'm also sure she must be pretty courageous because I'm sure she has to put up with a lot of sexist crap.
She's easily worth a couple million bucks minimum by now, her income is only going to increase, she's got the full 100% support of the militant SJW twitterverse, and basically has life by the balls.

Stick me in that same spot and I'll put up with all the sexism you could toss at me. I'll throw up a middle finger and check my bank account for fun every couple hours.

There are people who deserve sympathy, but she ain't one of 'em.

Is no one going to mention the titanic elephant in the room? How MNF has gone from a once sacred institution undertaken by father and son and passed down with dignity by Cosell and Don Meredith to Gifford, Michaels, Madden and Dierdorf to the total disgrace and affront we have now that is Meth goddamn Bowins running the show?

How in the f*ck did we get to this place, fellas? At what point did the football world take such a gigantic shit that we have to listen to this uneducated, nasally, uninsightful wretch who gives us nothing pertaining to the game that we couldn’t glean from watching it on mute? There’s more dead audio space than talking during these broadcasts, and I can’t decide whether that’s good or bad. How are we with young kids supposed to give them what our old men gave us as kids?

Fall school nights sitting on the couch with the old man and uncle Gary in the 80s, myself with an A&W and them with a couple MGDs, listening to guys talk who knew fucking football and said things that made sense. Hurrying to school on Tuesday mornings to talk about the game and what Al and Frank said with your 6th grade buddies who did the same thing with their dads the night before. Every year getting a little more intelligent about it because that’s how it’s supposed to fuckin work growing up.

Are we really going to expect the next generation to continue the bonding over the game on Monday nights with this idiotic shit show they call commentary? Jesus H. Christmas, guys.

Just be thankful she’s not doing ESPN2 noon kick offs anymore. Those games were torture.

I didn't watch the game, but if Beth truly is a part of the MNF team, then God help us. Last I knew, she was just part of the local Raiders broadcast team. Despite what many want to insinuate, it has absolutely nothing to do with her gender - she simply has an annoying nasal monotone voice and adds absolutely nothing of substance to the broadcast. Is she the antichrist? No, but football could do much better. MNF was (by far) at its best with Howard, Don and Gifford (though Gifford was a bit of a dud, the team needed a straight man).

I also agree about Romo. I was pleasantly surprised by him. He's knowledgeable with just enough personality. I disagree about Gruden. Some may like him, and that's fine, but I just find him annoying. Every player in the game is "one of the best in the league...."

I honestly don't get the rancor about Musburger. At all. Sometimes a rumor takes on a life of it's own and a herd mentality develops. He is not anti-Iowa at all. In fact, he loved Hayden. People are welcome to their opinions, but that one is baseless, IMO. He actually gave a shout out one year to a small out of the way pizza place, Eddie's Famous Pizza, in CR.

One name not mentioned is Mike Tirico. One of the more solid broadcasters in sports, IMO.

I agree that Beth isn't the worst in the business, but it's not because of her own merits. It seems like there's been some truly awful announcers sneaking their way into the booths over the years. Booger McFarland, Mack Brown, Joe Buck, Spencer Tillman, etc. My biggest issue is it seems like nobody does their homework anymore.

She's easily worth a couple million bucks minimum by now, her income is only going to increase, she's got the full 100% support of the militant SJW twitterverse, and basically has life by the balls.

Stick me in that same spot and I'll put up with all the sexism you could toss at me. I'll throw up a middle finger and check my bank account for fun every couple hours.

There are people who deserve sympathy, but she ain't one of 'em.
What is the SJW twitterverse? Not that you care, but you do realize there are women on this forum, right?

I'm in a similar boat. I'm not a fan of hers but I don't have any hatred either. She's just another broadcaster I don't really pay any attention to. She has said really dumb things in the past but so has every broadcaster. I'm pretty sure John Madden was certifiably retarded and people adore him.

On Sunday I heard a CBS broadcaster call James Connor of the Steelers "John Connor" three different times. John Connor, as in the kid from Terminator 2. If Beth Mowins would've done that there would be hate threads for days, but since some random male did it nobody seemed to notice. Its a silly double standard

Yeah, I don't get the all vitriol toward her . She isn't awesome......I guess I really don't care. This isn't a hill I am willing to die on for.

I never enjoyed Gruden. How many times per broadcast can he say "spider 2 y banana" and chuckle? Its like KF saying "thats football". Gruden also chose to keep Derek Carr and trade Khalil Mack. Ouch.

Most analysts tell us things we already know, but Romo is a master at explaining why things are happening, what teams are trying to do, and what will happen next based on what he's already seen. Its super entertaining to me. He's one of the very few analysts I actually feel like enhance the game watching experience.

I agree Gruden was definitely overrated. As an analyst he never gave you anything. And I couldn't stand the fake, forced Chucky schtick as a coach or an analyst.

I agree that Beth isn't the worst in the business, but it's not because of her own merits. It seems like there's been some truly awful announcers sneaking their way into the booths over the years. Booger McFarland, Mack Brown, Joe Buck, Spencer Tillman, etc. My biggest issue is it seems like nobody does their homework anymore.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves when TV announcers do not do their homework. Especially now when the information is so accessible. Very few can go out there and just 'wing it'.

Last edited:
Im still po’ed about Joe Beninatti calling the Iowa/NIU game. He mentioned guys age, had a birthday, has a birthday coming up, etc. 8 freakin’ times! You’re the play by play guy! Stop trying to be the color guy too! He also called the officials several times a “ consortium of big ten officials”. What the f*ck does that mean! They big ten officials or not? What a tool! Just looking at the guy, you can tell the closest he ever came to playing football was being the backup water boy.

I actually really liked Musburger, I thought his voice was perfect for commentating although his substance wasn't that great but my favorite all-time, and I'm surprised I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, was Keith Jackson

I actually really liked Musburger, I thought his voice was perfect for commentating although his substance wasn't that great but my favorite all-time, and I'm surprised I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, was Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson was pretty good if you could ignore his bias toward USC and the Pac-10 in general.

Latest posts