McNutt, Sash and Prater

Not sure what this means ? You know more than the MEL ?

You really think that every 3rd round pick was close to being an elite player in college? Not even remotely. Hell, there's been FIRST rounders who weren't close to elite in college. The standards for 3rd round prospects that you directed us to are pretty broad, hardly indicitive of what it actually takes to be a 3rd rounder.

Yeah I do think every 3rd rounder is an elite player. There are what 115 teams or something Div 1. Going to 32 NFL teams not mention the Div 2 kids. Spivey was taking in the third round and so was EDDS if I remember correctly.

The NFL likes our CBs because we force them to be physical with our system. Prater fits this description as a physical tackler. I believe he possesses good speed and good ball skills. I think he had an outstanding season and was our best player in the secondary this year, maybe even the whole defense. There's a reason he was named 1st team All Big 10 by both the coaches and the media.

He's not a shutdown corner by a long shot, when you compare him to Spievey. Not even close. That's why I don't think he's a third rounder as he is compared to Spievey.

Yeah I do think every 3rd rounder is an elite player. There are what 115 teams or something Div 1. Going to 32 NFL teams not mention the Div 2 kids. Spivey was taking in the third round and so was EDDS if I remember correctly.

Tarvaris Jackson was taken in the 2nd.

Without looking can you tell me who these 3rd round draft picks played for in college? I'd think if they were "elite" you would know who they played for:

Jerome Murphy (CB)
Myron Lewis (CB)
Damien Williams (WR)
Brandon LaFell (WR)
Emanuel Sanders (WR)
Andre Roberts (WR)

Last edited:

You might want to stop linking to ESPN Insider, since most of us can't read that (anybody who actually pays for that stuff is a sucker, it's hardly worth it). And I'd guess that the majority of juniors aren't listed unless they are in the class of A.J. Green, Julio Jones, etc., and therefore expected to declare.

Sounds like somebody is a little jealous that they don't have ESPN Insider.

He's not a shutdown corner by a long shot, when you compare him to Spievey. Not even close. That's why I don't think he's a third rounder as he is compared to Spievey.

I agree I don't think Prater is of Spievey caliber yet. I didn't compare them. I said and still say McNutt is the worst of the three NFL prospects and might not get drafted.

I agree I don't think Prater is of Spievey caliber yet. I didn't compare them. I said and still say McNutt is the worst of the three NFL prospects and might not get drafted.

He'd get drafted. The only site i've seen that has him ranked has him as the 20th best WR prospect.

Last year between 30-35 wrs were drafted.

You might want to stop linking to ESPN Insider, since most of us can't read that (anybody who actually pays for that stuff is a sucker, it's hardly worth it). And I'd guess that the majority of juniors aren't listed unless they are in the class of A.J. Green, Julio Jones, etc., and therefore expected to declare.

Oh didn't know posting that stuff was bad. Sorry . LOOK AT THE LIST here I will help the * means they are juniors see how they are all the way down the list. I think its cute the little man crush you and Farmer have on McNutt. Heck I like him to, but when it comes to be a NFL WR (even though I'm sure you and farmer know best) I will stick with McShay and the Mel.

Patrick Turner, WR, USC: 138 receptions, 1752 yards, 17 TD's
-Those were his 4-year totals. By comparison, Mike Williams had 176 reception, 2579 yards, and 30 TD's in just 2 years at USC. You're telling me Turner was an elite player? Or even close?

How about Joey Thomas? Unless you're a Packer fan, I wouldn't surprised if you'd never heard of him.

Vernand Morency? Lorenzo Booker? This list goes on.

Not every 3rd round pick was an elite college player. If that were true, the term "reach" wouldn't even be used in reference to draft picks.

Oh didn't know posting that stuff was bad. Sorry . LOOK AT THE LIST here I will help the * means they are juniors see how they are all the way down the list. I think its cute the little man crush you and Farmer have on McNutt. Heck I like him to, but when it comes to be a NFL WR (even though I'm sure you and farmer know best) I will stick with McShay and the Mel.

Again, the majority of us don't get to read that stuff because we don't pay for Insider. I can see the top 3 players, including Green. And again, you display poor reading comprhension. It's no different than linking to a story on TOS when you're talking to people who don't pay to read that information. The link is worthless when that's the case (as it is right now, which is why I gave you the tip).

That doesn't help as we can see like the top 4 prospects that is all. Now he has size and good hands. Not buring speed but he can work on that. Heck even Hayward Bay jumped into the first round cause of his size. i don't think McNutt is second round but mid round, that round of 3-5. I think he could go as early as late 3rd, probably into 4 or 5.

Also, you can beleive McShay and Mel all you want, they don't get them all correct either. They though Alex Smith was the best thing going and where's he now. I know he got drafted 1, but I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Spievey didn't go as high as I thought he would, for whatever reason. I mean, he was drafted at the same pick as Bradley Fletcher (#66). I never would have predicted that.

Without looking can you tell me who these 3rd round draft picks played for in college? I'd think if they were "elite" you would know who they played for:

Jerome Murphy (CB)
Myron Lewis (CB)
Damien Williams (WR) USC (he actually was an elite player, or close to it)
Brandon LaFell (WR) LSU
Emanuel Sanders (WR)
Andre Roberts (WR)

That's all I got.

That doesn't help as we can see like the top 4 prospects that is all. Now he has size and good hands. Not buring speed but he can work on that. Heck even Hayward Bay jumped into the TOP TEN cause of his size (And speed. Nevermind the fact that he could hardly catch a cold at Maryland, much less a football. Troy Williamson, same story.. i don't think McNutt is second round but mid round, that round of 3-5. I think he could go as early as late 3rd, probably into 4 or 5.

Fixed it for you.

Jerome Murphy (CB)
Myron Lewis (CB)
Damien Williams (WR)
Brandon LaFell (WR)
Emanuel Sanders (WR)
Andre Roberts (WR)

Oh man you got me Can't get all of them.

Murphy was South Florida I think.
Lafell was LSU
Sander was SMU
Roberts I think was the Citadel or a very very very small school.

Spievey didn't go as high as I thought he would, for whatever reason. I mean, he was drafted at the same pick as Bradley Fletcher (#66). I never would have predicted that.

I thought he would go higher as well. Now on thing I think is Iowa's scheme might deter some people on the secondary. Not sure just a thought, but I can't imagine Prater going in the second round.

To summarize my arguments.
1. McNutt woudl get drafted
2. Prater would get drafted, not in 2nd round maybe late rounds
3. McNutt better pro prospect than Prater
4. Both should stay one more year and improve draft stock.

I thought he would go higher as well. Now on thing I think is Iowa's scheme might deter some people on the secondary. Not sure just a thought, but I can't imagine Prater going in the second round.

To summarize my arguments.
1. McNutt woudl get drafted * He could but not a given IMO
2. Prater would get drafted, not in 2nd round maybe late rounds *
3. McNutt better pro prospect than Prater
4. Both should stay one more year and improve draft stock.

1. * He could but not a given IMO
2. * * Not sure where you got 2nd round but Prater would be first underclassmen Drafted
3. * McNutt no shot of being drafted before Prater, Better Pro maybe.
4. * Agree I think they both would improve draft position.

1. * He could but not a given IMO
2. * * Not sure where you got 2nd round but Prater would be first underclassmen Drafted
3. * McNutt no shot of being drafted before Prater, Better Pro maybe.
4. * Agree I think they both would improve draft position.

1. I say it's a given, especially if some of the other JRs stay home.
2. I meant 3rd round. sorry typo. and I don't think he'd get into 3rd round
3. no shot huh. you have no clue or do I where they would actually go. depends on team needs and how they would test out during combines
4. yep.

Latest posts