Matt Campbell Ohio State's next head coach

It could be to mark the field where Texas fumbled, but it was ruled down at the goal line. This is what caused Pau to lose it in his press conference. Geez, what else have they got?

I was going to post that no one will hire an ISU coach that just went 5-7(maybe worse). Then I remembered Auburn hired Gene Chizik after a 3-9 season. So who knows.

Bob Stoops is only 57 years old and would the most obvious #1 candidate on the list.

1. he has had 1 full year to recharge his batteries since he "retired"
2. A native of Ohio
3. A former big ten player
4. OSU only plays Iowa once every 3 years so he won't have the heartache of coaching against Iowa every year.

It just might be too good for Stoops to turn down.

Bob Stoops is only 57 years old and would the most obvious #1 candidate on the list.

1. he has had 1 full year to recharge his batteries since he "retired"
2. A native of Ohio
3. A former big ten player
4. OSU only plays Iowa once every 3 years so he won't have the heartache of coaching against Iowa every year.

It just might be too good for Stoops to turn down.

I could see it, since it really makes sense, but Bob wasn't ran out of Oklahoma. I think he might legitimately be retired.

Stoops father suffered a fatal heart attack in 1988 while coaching a high school game in Youngstown.

He was only 54 and I think Bobby cited this as one reason why he wanted to step down at a relatively young age.

They're touting ISU's defense like it's the '85 Bears defense so when they shut every opponent down this year and go 13-1, I'm sure we'll see Campbell on the sidelines in Columbus in '19.

I'm not convinced Campbell is that great of a coach, and certainly not to the level of OSU standards. He won at Toledo, (so has everyone else) and inherited a good program. He won 3 games his first year at Iowa State, and won 7 this past year (but they had no business winning more than 5) with upsets over OU and TCU, which isn't repeatable.
Campbell is better than the norm at ISU which isn't saying much but he doesn't have much of a track record at this point and appears to be more of a Fleck type, full of awful cliches than actual substance. Still, I'd love to see him spurn ISU. It will happen before too long regardless of whether it's OSU or not.

If I were OSU I'd much prefer trying to talk Stoops or Vrabel in coming on as opposed to Campbell... That's just me. Would either of those guys take it? It's hard telling. Vrabel in year one with the Titans is probably the best bet but who knows. Stoops I just can't see it. I mean if he were to do it it'd be for a short time most likely less then 4 or 5 yrs tops. So I'll be curious where they look. Campbell I still think is holding out for the ND job. If he wanted to just start stepping up for stepping ups sake he'd have been more involved with the TN job last yr...

I was going to post that no one will hire an ISU coach that just went 5-7(maybe worse). Then I remembered Auburn hired Gene Chizik after a 3-9 season. So who knows.

This hire of Gene Chizik by Auburn is still baffling to me.

talk is cheap. tOSU isn't hiring Campbell
Look, I don't doubt Campbell would find himself on some list for OSU, but he would be very far down it. Importantly, he would be below Bo Pelini, who would take the job in a heartbeat, so Campbell ain't going to OSU. Once they exhaust all of their dream candidates, I think Pelini would be a pretty good fit, even if only as a 1-2 year stopgap measure. The guy knows the Big Ten and he won 9 a year at Nebraska. He wouldn't miss a beat at OSU and he loves Ohio.

Latest posts