Matt Campbell Ohio State's next head coach

Woody Hayes kung fu's a guy in the throat at :30.

Watched this live when I was in middle school, never noticed something until today. Watch the clip. Charlie Bowman (58) enters the game as a defensive substitute just before the snap. And ends up making the fateful interception.

Long time (now retired) Cuba City high school football coach Jim Meckstroth played for Woody Hayes in college as a center. He was teammates with both Jack Tatum and Archie Griffin during his time at Ohio State.

Good God, the announce crew was all but living in denial! It was perfectly clear what Coach Hayes did!
The producer and director in the truck knew. They froze the replay soon after the punch was thrown.

And didn't show it from a better angle.

And it's their job to get in the headset and point out to the broadcasters what they saw.

Here's another (seldom talked about) angle to all this. Quarterback Art Schilchter would eventually see his career ruined by gambling addiction. Could he have had action vested upon this game? I have no idea who was favored or what the point spread was.

Last edited:
It is also interesting to see the OSU player who comes to the sideline and seems to tell Woody to get off the field after the second flag. I wonder if that guy is held up as a hero or treated like a traitor in Columbus.

It is also interesting to see the OSU player who comes to the sideline and seems to tell Woody to get off the field after the second flag. I wonder if that guy is held up as a hero or treated like a traitor in Columbus.

Tom Cousineau is pretty much a legend in Columbus.

Latest posts