Matt Campbell Ohio State's next head coach

If Campbell has a good season he might get the job. Now, he goes 4-8 not near as likely. Young coaches stock rise very quickly and fall every bit as quickly. time will tell.

yeah, there won't be a new coached hired this season at OSU, if urb gets the axe. this has become a really important season for campbell.

Is Kirk not currently the longest tenured coach in CFB? I think he was #2 for some time because Stoops got hired a few days before him when our admin dragged their feet, but now that Stoops has retired, Kirk should be #1. Not too many teams have had the stability Iowa has had with Hayden and Kirk.

Yes, Kirk currently has the longest continuous streak of being head coach at the same school in FBS.

Although Bill Synder is first among active head coaches with the most total years as head coach at his current school.

Also there seems to be some confusion about whether Kirk is actually elligible as a coach for the college football Hall of Fame. Some say there is a rule that coaches need to have a overall winning percentage over .600 in order to be elligible. But there are plenty of coaches, including Hayden Fry, that are in the Hall that do not have an overall winning percentage of .600, so that rule needs some clarification.

Is Kirk not currently the longest tenured coach in CFB? I think he was #2 for some time because Stoops got hired a few days before him when our admin dragged their feet, but now that Stoops has retired, Kirk should be #1. Not too many teams have had the stability Iowa has had with Hayden and Kirk.
Imagine how weird it’s going to be when we do have a new coach. Obviously it will be BF, but I’was born in 1980 and there have only been two Iowa football coaches throughout my entire life. Hayden Fry was just as stable as Daddy Rentz

Imagine how weird it’s going to be when we do have a new coach. Obviously it will be BF, but I’was born in 1980 and there have only been two Iowa football coaches throughout my entire life. Hayden Fry was just as stable as Daddy Rentz
I think we might want to pay attention to how Wisconsin's defense does this year. If they're close to where they were last year, I imagine quite a bit of schools are going to be thinking about hiring Leonhard as a HC.

Yes, Kirk currently has the longest continuous streak of being head coach at the same school in FBS.

Although Bill Synder is first among active head coaches with the most total years as head coach at his current school.

Also there seems to be some confusion about whether Kirk is actually elligible as a coach for the college football Hall of Fame. Some say there is a rule that coaches need to have a overall winning percentage over .600 in order to be elligible. But there are plenty of coaches, including Hayden Fry, that are in the Hall that do not have an overall winning percentage of .600, so that rule needs some clarification.
Let's don't open that can of worms again...

I think we might want to pay attention to how Wisconsin's defense does this year. If they're close to where they were last year, I imagine quite a bit of schools are going to be thinking about hiring Leonhard as a HC.
I think the Barry sensed this and sweetened the pot enough to keep the suitors at bay-for now.

But he won't be able to fend them off much longer. If Leonhard wants a HC opportunity it will come soon.

ISU fans feel that they'll find donors and other funds to match OSU's offer and keep Campbell at ISU. They just don't get it, do they?

If Campbell goes to OSU and wins a national championship in his second or third year there, I’ll probably never stop laughing.

You didn't miss much between Evashevski and Fry.

Just a Playboy preseason #1 going 1-9 (Jerry Burns in 1965) the nasty end of Evy's career as Athletic Director, a winless season from the immortal Frank Lauterbur, and the joyless, listless Bob Commings era (while Earle Bruce was building a nice program in Ames)

Thank goodness for Bump Elliot, who had a great eye for hiring coaching talent. The 1980's wouldn't have happened without him.

If Meyer is fired or allowed to resign, the most likely scenario is that OSU sticks with an interim coach this season.

After that, I would fully expect that Chris Peterson and Tom Herman would be the guys they target (I don't think the university will blink at buy-outs, especially if Meyer is fired for cause and his buyout is null and void). Unless he totally bombs this season, Jeff Brohm more than likely will be on the short list as well, especially if Purdue explodes this year. That said, I still believe that Brohm's ultimate goal is the NFL.

I don't see it happening, but Bob Stoops' name will be bounced around. He has the Ohio ties and the pedigree, but also has his own share of baggage.

If Campbell continues to show a trajectory at ISU and wins at least 9 games, he certainly will be on the list, but I'd be surprised if he's higher that #6 or #7 right now.

Last edited:
If Meyer is fired or allowed to resign, the most likely scenario is that OSU sticks with an interim coach this season.

After that, I would fully expect that Chris Peterson and Tom Herman would be the guys they target (I don't think the university will blink at buy-outs, especially if Meyer is fired for cause and his buyout is null and void). Unless he totally bombs this season, Jeff Brohm more than likely will be on the short list as well, especially if Purdue explodes this year. That said, I still believe that Brohm's ultimate goal is the NFL.

I don't see it happening, but Bob Stoops' name will be bounced around. He has the Ohio ties and the pedigree, but also has his own share of baggage.

If Campbell continues to show a trajectory at ISU and wins at least 9 games, he certainly will be on the list, but I'd be surprised if he's higher that #6 or #7 right now.

Chris Peterson is an intriguing pick, I forget about him, but’s he’s a top 5 coach that gets hidden out in the west coast time zone.

You didn't miss much between Evashevski and Fry.

Just a Playboy preseason #1 going 1-9 (Jerry Burns in 1965) the nasty end of Evy's career as Athletic Director, a winless season from the immortal Frank Lauterbur, and the joyless, listless Bob Commings era (while Earle Bruce was building a nice program in Ames)

Thank goodness for Bump Elliot, who had a great eye for hiring coaching talent. The 1980's wouldn't have happened without him.

The 1970s wouldn't have happened without him, either.

The 1970s wouldn't have happened without him, either.
It took Bump a while to gain traction with the football program. When he hired Hayden Fry, he famously pulled Hayden aside shortly afterwards and told him that if he didn't make it, neither of them would. The University would not allow him to stay if a new football coach needed to be hired. Of course, Bump had made key hires in other sports by then, Lute Olson in 1974 and Dan Gable in 1977. Not sure but long time baseball coach Duane Banks may have been another Elliott hire.

To put it in perspective.

The last time we had someone other than Hayden or Kirk on our sideline John Madden was still coaching, Muhammad Ali was still boxing, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky and Dale Earnhardt were not yet in their rookie seasons, Tiger Woods was two years old, U2 was just getting started as a band and ESPN had yet to be created.

The last time we had someone other than Hayden or Kirk on our sideline John Madden was still coaching, Muhammad Ali was still boxing, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky and Dale Earnhardt were not yet in their rookie seasons, Tiger Woods was two years old, U2 was just getting started as a band and ESPN had yet to be created.
...and Ohio State's coach was in trouble and was maybe going to get fired. The more things change...

Back when I was a kid. Ah, the good old days.

Latest posts