Matt Campbell - Is It At All Possible?

MelroseHawkins

..............that he could end up at Nebraska? I don't know. Nebby already has to fork out a lot of $$$ for dead weight to pay out contracts. Would they be willing to buy out Iowa States contract. He's young, energetic and a midwestern guy. I could see him wanting to coach in the BIG at some point. He's proven he can make a bad team decent and can win a top 5 game on the road.

Just wondering.

If I’m Nebraska, if he keeps winning, he’s on my short list with Bielema. IMO they need to go after a coach who has proven they can win at the P5 level. Specifically they can win and recruit in the Midwest. BB is probably the best match for Nebraska out there because he’ll build a good defense and running game there which is how Nebraska is going to win

I doubt they go after Burt Bielema...he once hung 70 on them. The Nebraska fan has a long memory of him allowing Melvin Gordon to tote the rock over and over again. That night is known as "the night they brought the blackshirts down..and turned them pink."

If I’m Nebraska, if he keeps winning, he’s on my short list with Bielema. IMO they need to go after a coach who has proven they can win at the P5 level. Specifically they can win and recruit in the Midwest. BB is probably the best match for Nebraska out there because he’ll build a good defense and running game there which is how Nebraska is going to win

I was thinking this is key as well. You have to know the area and the recruiting and be comfortable with it. This is why I thought of him, or a part of it. He will be familiar with it.

Both Gary Andersen and Mike Riley proved to be fish out of water in the midwest. Just an odd fit.

My prediction is that Bielema will not coach next year. With the wear and tear on his body and mind from getting beat down in the SEC I just don't see him going to the dumpster fire that is Nebraska at the moment. The main question that should be asked is Nebraska that attractive of a job right now? With the vacancies that could be opening up (Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas A&M, to name a few) do they have the horsepower to compete with those programs? Time will tell. If I was an up and coming coach I would not touch that place with a 10 foot pole.

Campbell has to be looking, I thought that I heard the announcers say during their game last weekend that they had 19 seniors playing. His recruiting class is in the 50s', same with last year. He has to know that ISU is back to being shit next year.

If Neb brings in somebody like Mike Leach, he will probably do about as well as Rich Rod did when he was in the Big Ten.

There are only a handful of coaches out there that would work at Nebbie IMO -

1. BB
2. Frost
3. Bohl
4. Matt Campbell

they hire any of those 4 guys and I am at least intrigued and think, well, maybe they got this one right. But after making a head scratching hire of an AD, I have no confidence that they have anything figured out. Nebraska has basically turned into a retirement community for the Pac 12

Why would any young coach wanna go to nebby? It's a death sentence

Few things. 1) Ego & status - The BIG time. LIke the young guy who goes out and spends too much for a car because he thought he could. 2) If it doesn't work, they have time to recover from it. 3) $$$

Why is a young coach at Iowa State? At least Nebby has a Hx.

There are only a handful of coaches out there that would work at Nebbie IMO -

1. BB
2. Frost
3. Bohl
4. Matt Campbell

they hire any of those 4 guys and I am at least intrigued and think, well, maybe they got this one right. But after making a head scratching hire of an AD, I have no confidence that they have anything figured out. Nebraska has basically turned into a retirement community for the Pac 12

I also found it strange they went the Pack 12 route with the AD after their Pack 12 head coach didn't turn out. You would have thought that they would have stayed away from that dynamic if they could. Maybe they couldn't.

I love that Husker fans keep saying coaches like Mike Leach or Chip Kelly - who both would run systems that doesn't solve their problem and would be absolute horrible "fish out water" fits. They need a guy who is going to fix their LOS problem who will run the ball. Period. If they fail to hire that guy again, well, I'll be meeting with my brother for the 3rd time in 20 years (I thought Pelini was a good hire) at some dive bar in Omaha to take another celebratory shoot of whiskey

What's this new ADs track record? All I know about him is he hired Leach a few yrs back. That's it. He's not following him so what other ties around the landscape does he have? If there's no obvious ones there and he opens up a national search it's just a crap shoot. Does he use a 'committee' or do it himself? Lots of questions out there yet before serious names get thrown in the hopper. If I'm Campbell and Neb comes calling of course you jump. He's not scared to take over a dumpster fire obviously only Neb has more upside (as much as that pains me to say) if you can turn it around. So the question is would Nebby look at him time will tell..

I love that Husker fans keep saying coaches like Mike Leach or Chip Kelly - who both would run systems that doesn't solve their problem and would be absolute horrible "fish out water" fits. They need a guy who is going to fix their LOS problem who will run the ball. Period. If they fail to hire that guy again, well, I'll be meeting with my brother for the 3rd time in 20 years (I thought Pelini was a good hire) at some dive bar in Omaha to take another celebratory shoot of whiskey

They absolutely do not get it and that is a huge part of their problem. Everybody outside that state realizes it's an identity problem. They need to find who they are. They just keep grabbing at straws. Entertaining to watch, but simply, it's starting to get pathetic.

What's this new ADs track record? All I know about him is he hired Leach a few yrs back. That's it. He's not following him so what other ties around the landscape does he have? If there's no obvious ones there and he opens up a national search it's just a crap shoot. Does he use a 'committee' or do it himself? Lots of questions out there yet before serious names get thrown in the hopper. If I'm Campbell and Neb comes calling of course you jump. He's not scared to take over a dumpster fire obviously only Neb has more upside (as much as that pains me to say) if you can turn it around. So the question is would Nebby look at him time will tell..

He was at Oregon for their good years then took over the Washington State job, which is a challenge, and had them going in the right direction.

Chip does run the ball, I think that's something that is misconstrued about him, he ran the ball 65% of plays at Oregon in 2012. I don't think he can get the bevy of athletes necessary do run the same system at Nebraska but who knows.

I would be really surprised to see Bielema, I think their fans would basically revolt. I think it'll be Frost quite simply because their fans will probably go nuts if it's not him.

As far as Leach goes, I don't think he'd even take the job, I don't think he'd like the fishbowl there. But he's won at two really tough places to win historically (Tech and Wash St.) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him have success.

Latest posts