Matt Campbell - Is It At All Possible?

Campbell has to be looking, I thought that I heard the announcers say during their game last weekend that they had 19 seniors playing. His recruiting class is in the 50s', same with last year. He has to know that ISU is back to being shit next year.

Old Jamie Pollard was on the radio pregame Saturday and stated the buyout would be expensive and that he preferred having a coach others wanted than having a coach no one else wanted. Oh yeah and he said if ISU would have beaten Iowa in that close game they would have been 4-1 and probably ranked. So yeah he was playing what ifs.

Maybe Arkansas considers Campbell. And maybe Paw Rhoads stays as assistant there......AWKWARD!

I really can't imagine Leach putting up with the fuskers fan base. He'd turn out to be another Bo. Lol Might be interesting though.

I think Leach likes being a weirdo and talking about aliens, bigfoot, woodstock, etc. and generally just doesn't take things too seriously.

In Nebraska they take everything way too seriously. I just think it's a terrible fit.

I hadn't heard Greg Schiano before... I think that could be a good fit.

Lol, the guy couldn't win at UConn and his defense just gave up 56 to OSU, and it could have been worse. When Riley gets fired, Diaco will get canned too.
Ferentz didn't do so hot at Uconn either, I guess what I was really thinking was if Riley gets fired before the season ends, then Diaco takes over a head coach to finish out the season. Then the new AD figures out what to do next after this train wreck of a season of theirs ends.

They absolutely do not get it and that is a huge part of their problem. Everybody outside that state realizes it's an identity problem. They need to find who they are. They just keep grabbing at straws. Entertaining to watch, but simply, it's starting to get pathetic.
Meh. If Nebby can find a coach that passes on every down and plays Iowa bend-but-don't-break defense and the team wins, at least, 75% of their games, the fan base will be more at ease. They'll only be satisfied with championships, eventually. Identity...smidentity

Not an apples to apples comparison, but Joe Tiller made a “gimmick” system work at Purdue. Granted I will be the first to say it takes the right guy to make it work.

His gimmick only really worked when he had Drew Brees. His teams after those that won, won w their defense. His offense also became less gimmicky as time went on probably bc he saw the writing on the wall that it wo t work in the B1G. It reminds me of how TAM made their gimmick work in the SEC...with Johnny FB then not so much.

I really can't imagine Leach putting up with the fuskers fan base. He'd turn out to be another Bo. Lol Might be interesting though.
Leach could take a chapter from the KF playbook on handling the Nebby fan base and just ignore them. I mean, fan base criticisms don't affect play calling. Am I right? Maybe Leach can 'tame' the Nebby fan base like KF has tamed the Iowa fan base.

I think what everyone is overlooking here is that no head coach or AD is going to bring Nebraska back to what they had.

They're in a big boy football conference now and they don't have the luxury of playing 2 tough games every year and 10 weak ones. They don't have the recruiting advantage anymore, and they sure as hell haven't helped themselves with long-term recruiting over the past decade. What, do you think if they hire Chip Kelly all of a sudden they're gong to have 4 and 5 star kids beating down the door? Nope. The days of the Kyle Vandenbosches of the world picking Nebraska over other teams because they're head and shoulders above everyone else are long gone. In 1995 Noah Fant would be a husker...but it ain't 1995 anymore, Jack.

Nebraska's house of cards fell down a long time ago and no plan in the world would build it back. The head coaching position is just one of many, many tire fires in that haggard program and any elite coach will see that and pass on Nebraska for a real job. What that leaves them are square peg/round hole guys and coaches who are unproven at the P5 level similar to Fleck, Campbell, Frost, etc. Good Luck with that. Ask I.S.Who and Minnesota how well that works.

It's so gratifying watching this burnt turd of a program slowly circling the toilet bowl and getting closer to full flush every year.

Conference doesn't really matter. They've been who they are now for 15 years. Somebody did this breakdown based on Sagarin #'s:

upload_2017-10-16_16-48-55-png.50845

IF, and I mean IF, Campbell catches lightning in a bottle at isu. (and he hasn't yet) I would think he would want to take a bigger jump than just to nebby.

Nebby may want Campbell (don't know) but I doubt Campbell would want neb.

There are only a handful of coaches out there that would work at Nebbie IMO -

1. BB
2. Frost
3. Bohl
4. Matt Campbell

they hire any of those 4 guys and I am at least intrigued and think, well, maybe they got this one right. But after making a head scratching hire of an AD, I have no confidence that they have anything figured out. Nebraska has basically turned into a retirement community for the Pac 12
I can't think of a good reason why Bert would want to go there. After just experiencing the swamp end of the SEC, why would he want to go to the swamp end of the BIG?? Not buying it. Bohl does make some sense though. And that would drive the Nebby fans nuts.

Conference doesn't really matter. They've been who they are now for 15 years. Somebody did this breakdown based on Sagarin #'s:

upload_2017-10-16_16-48-55-png.50845
When they were in the Big12 North, they regularly played in the championship game. They’ve been to Indy once in what we can now safely say 7 years. Then they had 70 hung on them by a 7-5 WI.

Point taken however, it’s been a slide since they gave away their identity by firing Solich.

I think Leach likes being a weirdo and talking about aliens, bigfoot, woodstock, etc. and generally just doesn't take things too seriously.

In Nebraska they take everything way too seriously. I just think it's a terrible fit.

I hadn't heard Greg Schiano before... I think that could be a good fit.

Weirdo? You mean eccentric. Only everyday people can be weirdos.:)

His gimmick only really worked when he had Drew Brees. His teams after those that won, won w their defense. His offense also became less gimmicky as time went on probably bc he saw the writing on the wall that it wo t work in the B1G. It reminds me of how TAM made their gimmick work in the SEC...with Johnny FB then not so much.

Fair enough. Shaun Philips was a nightmare for everybody in the conference.

Kyle Orton was a pretty good QB there after Brees

Les Miles is the only choice that makes sense financially.

Think about it... they're still paying BoP... they'll be paying Riley. Les can accept a lower salary for some period of time because LSU is still paying him and I believe if he gets a job paying less they still have to pay him the difference. So Miles coaches for less until the BoP payments run out then either moves on or gets more money.

Latest posts