Matt Campbell - Is It At All Possible?

If the Huskers ever want to be relevant again, they need to play man ball. Commit to recruiting big OLs, power running backs, and also commit to playing D again. They are trying - IMO - to be the Oregon of the midwest by recruiting skill players out of California and assuming that will be enough to win a lot of B1G games. To win the B1G, you need to have bigs in the trenches and be able to impose your will on people. Wisconsin, MSU, UM, and OSU all do this (and Iowa does kinda sorta, but not as well as we used to). Nebraska either needs to use that same blueprint or resign themselves to what's been happening since they joined the conference.

It's really that simple. What they're trying to do only works in the PAC-12, Mountain West, Big-12, etc.

I guess my point is Nebraska fires coaches who consistently win 9 games, now it's seems like an extreme amount of pressure for the next coach. Campbell could win 6 games at isu and be a good is my point

I find it funny Nebraska goes to Oregon State and now Washington State, two of the historically worse programs out there, to hire guys that supposedly will turn the football program around. That's the problem playing musical chairs with coaches and AD's. There's no guarantee the person making the hiring decision has a clue and hiring incorrectly can set the program back years.

I wonder if they could get somebody like Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. I heard Kelly was souring on Notre Dame, something about the academic standards are too high. He wouldn't have that problem at Nebraska.

1) Scott Frost
Obviously he would be the ideal target. Being from Nebraska and part of that program, he would no doubt give it his all and he'd be able to sell recruits on his own story. But it's not a slam dunk that he would go there. He could have several other good options at the end of the season.

2) Greg Schiano
Here is a name that hasn't gotten enough buzz in my opinion. I mean, the dude won at Rutgers. His intense style wore thin in the NFL, but would be great at a place like Nebraska that has lacked physicality for quite awhile.

3) Chip Kelly
Say what you want about fit, but he took Oregon to the next level and they couldn't sustain it once he left. The guy is a really good college football coach. If you are looking for a college football coach and he says yes to you, you say yes to him. With that said, I think he ends up at UCLA.

4) Mark Stoops
There is another Stoops brother out there that should become a hot candidate for a big job. Kentucky has gotten progressively better each year he has been there. His teams on offense have been physical and have been run first. He's about to hit his head on the ceiling at Kentucky and it might be a good time for him to move on.

5) Matt Campbell
He's done a nice job in the short time he's been at Iowa State. My only concern would be that he's been in Ames for less than two years so far. He'd be higher on the list if he had another year of leading Iowa State to respectability under his belt.

6) Kevin Wilson
Indiana is relevant because of the work of Kevin Wilson. It'll be interesting to see how long they stay that way now that he's gone.

7) Bret Bielema
He is arguably the one that took Wisconsin to the next level after the Barry Alverez era. He's lower on the list though because although it's clear he can build on a foundation that was already built, it's unclear if he can build a foundation of his own.

8a) Dave Aranda
He's been a nominee for top assistant coach on multiple occasions. A young guy that could maybe bring some life into the Cornhuskers defense. He's been in the midwest and been down south so he might have some solid recruiting ties.

8b) Brett Venables
He hasn't coached in the Big 10, but he has a resume similar to Aranda. Been nominated as a top assistant multiple times and has been well traveled. He played college ball under Bill Snyder and has coached under Bob Stoops and Dabo Swinney which gives him a pretty good pedigree.

BB is probably the best match for Nebraska out there because he looks just like most of their fanbase.

Fixed it for you.

W4tyzfI.gif

I love that Husker fans keep saying coaches like Mike Leach or Chip Kelly - who both would run systems that doesn't solve their problem and would be absolute horrible "fish out water" fits. They need a guy who is going to fix their LOS problem who will run the ball. Period. If they fail to hire that guy again, well, I'll be meeting with my brother for the 3rd time in 20 years (I thought Pelini was a good hire) at some dive bar in Omaha to take another celebratory shoot of whiskey

Not an apples to apples comparison, but Joe Tiller made a “gimmick” system work at Purdue. Granted I will be the first to say it takes the right guy to make it work.

1) Scott Frost
Obviously he would be the ideal target. Being from Nebraska and part of that program, he would no doubt give it his all and he'd be able to sell recruits on his own story. But it's not a slam dunk that he would go there. He could have several other good options at the end of the season.

2) Greg Schiano
Here is a name that hasn't gotten enough buzz in my opinion. I mean, the dude won at Rutgers. His intense style wore thin in the NFL, but would be great at a place like Nebraska that has lacked physicality for quite awhile.

3) Chip Kelly
Say what you want about fit, but he took Oregon to the next level and they couldn't sustain it once he left. The guy is a really good college football coach. If you are looking for a college football coach and he says yes to you, you say yes to him. With that said, I think he ends up at UCLA.

4) Mark Stoops
There is another Stoops brother out there that should become a hot candidate for a big job. Kentucky has gotten progressively better each year he has been there. His teams on offense have been physical and have been run first. He's about to hit his head on the ceiling at Kentucky and it might be a good time for him to move on.

5) Matt Campbell
He's done a nice job in the short time he's been at Iowa State. My only concern would be that he's been in Ames for less than two years so far. He'd be higher on the list if he had another year of leading Iowa State to respectability under his belt.

6) Kevin Wilson
Indiana is relevant because of the work of Kevin Wilson. It'll be interesting to see how long they stay that way now that he's gone.

7) Bret Bielema
He is arguably the one that took Wisconsin to the next level after the Barry Alverez era. He's lower on the list though because although it's clear he can build on a foundation that was already built, it's unclear if he can build a foundation of his own.

8a) Dave Aranda
He's been a nominee for top assistant coach on multiple occasions. A young guy that could maybe bring some life into the Cornhuskers defense. He's been in the midwest and been down south so he might have some solid recruiting ties.

8b) Brett Venables
He hasn't coached in the Big 10, but he has a resume similar to Aranda. Been nominated as a top assistant multiple times and has been well traveled. He played college ball under Bill Snyder and has coached under Bob Stoops and Dabo Swinney which gives him a pretty good pedigree.

Imo, Venables would be the leader in the clubhouse.

If I’m Nebraska, if he keeps winning, he’s on my short list with Bielema. IMO they need to go after a coach who has proven they can win at the P5 level. Specifically they can win and recruit in the Midwest. BB is probably the best match for Nebraska out there because he’ll build a good defense and running game there which is how Nebraska is going to win

It'll be a Frost-y day if that happens.

1) Scott Frost

2) Greg Schiano

3) Chip Kelly

4) Mark Stoops

5) Matt Campbell

6) Kevin Wilson

7) Bret Bielema

8a) Dave Aranda

8b) Brett Venables

I hear Lee Miles name mentioned a lot.

Latest posts