Marty Tirrell....WTF????

Dude has been around the DSM area quite awhile. Put yourself in any of those investors shoes... I'm sure they want to hang him by his toes. How many folks has he swindled over the years one way or the other? I wonder if he's married or not. I just couldn't have less respect for him or people like that. To intentionally go trying to screw people over is beyond a character flaw to me. Throw the book at him.

He's divorced. SURPRISE!

He did bring sports talk radio to central Iowa. Do you just roll your eyes and go if it wasn't him, somebody else would have done it?

Poor Ken Miller. He will always be linked to that dude as far as central Iowans go. Deep down inside he probably knew from day one he was kinda shady, but at this point how do you separate yourself from that?

I guess to me it's not necessarily the guy we're talking about. It's the scam in general.

I'll go ahead and make the blanket statement that if you trust anyone who tells you they can resell tickets and make enough money to pay you interest, you're a complete fucking idiot.

Our financial system is evolved to the point where specialized, "boutique" investing schemes only exist if they work number one, and number two there is always enough competition that it lowers your rate of return to whatever any other investment makes (assuming the same amount of risk). In other words, there's no vacuum anywhere that needs to be filled under our set of regulations.

In this case, if reselling tickets was a money-making proposition (on ticket price only) there would be other people or companies doing it and making bank, and they wouldn't have to go to some con artist to get in the game (StubHub and the similar companies don't count...they make money on brokerage fees, not betting that the price is going to go up before the event). The fact that people believed this guy and trusted that they would make a return makes them stupid enough to deserve to lose money. I completely agree he should go to prison because he definitely broke laws, but like I mentioned before...buyer beware and this is 100% on them for getting scammed.

It's easy to blame people for being stupid, and some are driven by their own greed. But I've seen one of these guys work. Some are scary good..they know who and what to look for, and just how to manipulate them. Not unlike a pedo that can talk a kid into coming with him, despite the kid being told over and over..."don't talk to strangers".

I liken it to hackers that use their skills to crash systems, wreak havoc and screw with people rather than build something productive. The guy has skills, but he uses them for the wrong reason.

Gee Willikers

Relax, Bro

you got me, bro. Time for a cocktail. (I edited the "idiot" part out...that was harsh)

39901682-angry-man.jpg

I was on the field in the end zone for the flyover OSU game because of Marty. Won tickets that maybe were never paid for, but it was awesome. For that I thank him.

Lol! That's like saying you'd believe a drug dealer's 1099.

That form 990 you're talking about is as trustworthy as the shady-ass accountant used by an even shadier "non-profit."

We're done. "Stupid", as they say, can't be fixed. Tirrell's investors got nothing on you.

Where were the local journalists who like to think of themselves as advocates for the community? Seems like this should have been a big media story long ago. Do we have any local media that are bold enough to ask people who they were dumb enough to get swindled by him?

The long view of this story says plenty about Marty, but also about our local media. There was lots and lots of information around for years.

He's going to a halfway house. Someone else does what he does, and they're going to the pen for some time. He's a semi-celebrity so he gets preferential treatment.

Where were the local journalists who like to think of themselves as advocates for the community? Seems like this should have been a big media story long ago. Do we have any local media that are bold enough to ask people who they were dumb enough to get swindled by him?

The long view of this story says plenty about Marty, but also about our local media. There was lots and lots of information around for years.
I would also add employer... They may have been turning a blind eye and borderline enabling him to do some of this too.

He did bring sports talk radio to central Iowa. Do you just roll your eyes and go if it wasn't him, somebody else would have done it?

Poor Ken Miller. He will always be linked to that dude as far as central Iowans go. Deep down inside he probably knew from day one he was kinda shady, but at this point how do you separate yourself from that?
Not sure how much sympathy I'd have for him. Their relationship goes back a long ways too. I think they even had their rounds and separated (professionally on the air anyway) and got back together a time or two. I highly doubt there's anyway he wouldn't have known about some of the shaddy stuff he was pulling. He may not have had a thing to do with any of it but he wasn't exactly whistle blowing either

Latest posts