Martin commits to Michigan

Since all of the reasons for him not going to Iowa/going to Michigan stated here are completely speculative, I'll offer mine - maybe he didn't want to come to Iowa out of fear of failure; local kid doesn't make good. He can go to Michigan and do well or not do well, but without the extra spotlight and pressure of trying to be the next Tim Dwight, a strata he'd never fulfill and thus be labeled a failure or at least, never measured up - too much for him to handle.

Does he even know who Tim Dwight is without googling it? They didn't even go to the same high school. Your fishbowl argument may have some merit, but it has nothing to do with being compared to Tim Dwight.

As I recall the recruiting of Timmy D. way back when was anything but a sure thing even for Hayden. Win some you lose some. If just a couple of these new guys have enough speed to get separation and hold onto the ball when it's thrown their way it's all good. And someone to replace Vandeberg as a possession receiver. If Brian is allowed to open up the passing game somebody's going to step up to the challenge.

Looking at the West High commitment list, I noticed that a female soccer player signed a LOI with Meechigan. Any connection?

It saddens me to read people slamming 17/18 year old kids that are making decisions that impact the rest of their lives. If my son turns into a D1 recruit and gets multiple offers I want him to make the best decision for him, not some fan base that thinks loyalty should trump everything else. Right now Iowa is not the premier destination for top wide receivers.

Good luck Oliver, I hope you go on to have lots of success. Just not against Iowa.

Well said. I can't speak to what its like to be a D1 football prospect but I do know what its like to be an Iowa fan. And as some posters have mentioned, he probably felt a little jaded that Iowa hadn't offered him a scholarship earlier, as I 17/18 year old, I certainly would have felt it, particularly when he's from the shadows of the campus.

Bottom line, he doesn't owe Iowa or its fan base a thing. And he made a smart decision. Michigan is a great football school that's been producing NFL WRs since Bo was there. And Michigan is an elite university. With a degree from there, he'll have a lot of options even if the NFL isn't one of them.

Looking at the West High commitment list, I noticed that a female soccer player signed a LOI with Meechigan. Any connection?

636215686697238674-IOW-0201-Oliver-Martin-03.jpg

These young ladies certainly seem to approve of Martin's choice.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...gan-plucked-oliver-martin-iowa-city/97361818/

636215686697238674-IOW-0201-Oliver-Martin-03.jpg

These young ladies certainly seem to approve of Martin's choice.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...gan-plucked-oliver-martin-iowa-city/97361818/

Thanks for posting this article, great read. Interesting the comments from him saying that he can pursue baseball and swimming.....on top of football. Swim season starts in late august, and goes thru early spring. baseball would obviously be a possibility given it starts when swimming is winding down. but not sure how he'd participate in swimming.

I, too, look at this photo with envy! Kid has the world by the you know what........ :)

Bottom line, he doesn't owe Iowa or its fan base a thing.

Agree with you on the fan base, but he could return all of the Iowa swag he got over the past year. I mean, it's the least he could do, right?

They haven't done well with development of wrs, ever really, but it's been really stark the last few years. Everyone knows that. Martin knew that before taking a single visit here.

That's why I question it being much of a factor.

Let's face it, he probably never turned down a free meal or game ticket. "Free stuff"...

Thanks for posting this article, great read. Interesting the comments from him saying that he can pursue baseball and swimming.....on top of football. Swim season starts in late august, and goes thru early spring. baseball would obviously be a possibility given it starts when swimming is winding down. but not sure how he'd participate in swimming.

I, too, look at this photo with envy! Kid has the world by the you know what........ :)

When you're famous, the world let's you grab it by the

Latest posts